Highlands 29 Ryle 14

Just got back from out of town and was looking forward to reading about the game. There seems to be more talk about the facilities and babysitting problems??? I just wanted to add my two cents, if not for Tyler Seidle Ryle scores two more times...he came across the field to catch Elliot from behind. The defense played very well and the offense stepped up and made big plays when needed. At this time of the year they seem to be on course!!! Go Birds 20n10

Amen! And that's Seidl to you buddy.:thumb:

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree 100% about the pooch punt on 3rd down. How in the world are you going to beat Highlands at Highlands doing something crazy like that. Maybe he wasnt sure it was 3rd down because he couldnt see the down marker from his 3rd row viewpoint in the stands, right behind the cheerleaders and the poor lighting angle of the lights. Is it true that the Ryle coach did not shake Dales hand after the game? LOL.

Nice post! It is starting to come to me now, go for it early on 4th down last year early in the game deep in your own territory and turn the ball over on downs. Come back and pooch punt on the 3rd down for the reasons stated above this year. How about the old fumblerooski on 2nd down later this year:D

I agree 100% about the pooch punt on 3rd down. How in the world are you going to beat Highlands at Highlands doing something crazy like that. Maybe he wasnt sure it was 3rd down because he couldnt see the down marker from his 3rd row viewpoint in the stands, right behind the cheerleaders and the poor lighting angle of the lights. Is it true that the Ryle coach did not shake Dales hand after the game? LOL.

Didn't hear that?

Go back to the OLD days at DCM when both teams were on one side of the field and split at the 50 yard line. I'm sure in todays trash talking world this would be just be a bomb waiting to go off, but it would resolve part of the problem. Remember back then you had a full track going around the field and cutting into the corners of the endzone.

Can someone provide the exact game situation on the 3rd down punt, i.e. quarter, time, yard line, etc............The only scenario I can even fathom is that Warner wanted to try and catch HHS off guard and try and get a good kick with no return. Perhaps try and flip the field position? Can someone provide the punt yardage? Did the ball land and take a Ryle bounce? Would like to have more details on this play? I have seen it done in college games, and was usually done to get a long punt with no return. I know Dave Wannstedt has used this more than once.

I'm not sure if you were serious in the bolded comment, but knowing that some comments made in jest on here can take on a life of their own, I don't think that's it's true that Warner did not shake Mueller's hand after the game. I'm almost 100% certain I saw them shaking hands after the game.

I'm not sure if you were serious in the bolded comment, but knowing that some comments made in jest on here can take on a life of their own, I don't think that's it's true that Warner did not shake Mueller's hand after the game. I'm almost 100% certain I saw them shaking hands after the game.

They shook hands and both acted with respect and class.

Can someone provide the exact game situation on the 3rd down punt, i.e. quarter, time, yard line, etc............The only scenario I can even fathom is that Warner wanted to try and catch HHS off guard and try and get a good kick with no return. Perhaps try and flip the field position? Can someone provide the punt yardage? Did the ball land and take a Ryle bounce? Would like to have more details on this play? I have seen it done in college games, and was usually done to get a long punt with no return. I know Dave Wannstedt has used this more than once.

I don't remember the specifics, but I understand both arguments on the decision. One side argues that it catches Highlands off guard and results in great field position for Ryle. The other side argues that by not going for it, you waste an opportunity to convert and perhaps score. I wonder if it sends a message to your QB, receivers and O line that you (as the coach) don't have confidence that they can complete a long enough pass to convert. In fairmess to Warner, Highlands does have a very talented defensive secondary.

As I predicted, when Ryle attempted to pass they were primarily short, "ball control" type passes. They did complete one relatively long pass (about 30 yds as I recall) for a TD. But for the most part, they were short passes. I'm not familiar enough with Ryle's receivers to know if the lack of long passes was because of a lack of speed at the receiver positions, because Warner was concerned about Highlands blitzing LBers and D linemen getting to Hempel, or just because of a desire to try to control the ball and keep Highlands O off the field. What I do know is that Hempel has the arm strength and accuracy to throw the long pass, as he has repeatedly proven such over the last two years.

Allow the visitors to use the side of the field where the School building is located! HHS would do a much better job of policing the bleachers side, if they were indeed using it!

Are the dugouts and bullpens the same for Home and Visitors at CCH baseball field? The visiting pitcher has about 3 feet to stride off the rubberbefore he steps over a 3 inch ledge onto concrete in the visiting bullpen and the dugout is much worse. Care to respond???

Are the dugouts and bullpens the same for Home and Visitors at CCH baseball field? The visiting pitcher has about 3 feet to stride off the rubberbefore he steps over a 3 inch ledge onto concrete in the visiting bullpen and the dugout is much worse. Care to respond???

:D:D :thumb:

I find it laughable that all of a sudden we are getting these complaints about the tight sidelines on the visitor sides, the cruddy press box, Dale supposedly breaking a contract with X, could any body win at Highlands as the coach, etc., etc. I guess it's the price one pays for winning often, but I do find it funny to read all the griping (and sad at the same time). It is tight on the visitor's sidelines and frankly it can be distracting to a team if they let it. But put the JV players back, keep the starters nearby, etc., work on sideline discipline and things will be fine. The sidelines haven't gotten smaller in the last several years, but all of a sudden it's now an issue with a coach and some posters. I think we can all figure out why that's occurring.

For what's it's worth, the administration at Highlands has required their student section to be at the end of the bleachers instead of sitting right behind the visiting team. If it was all about making the visitors "uncomfortable", the student section would be located right behind the visitors bench and the students would be yelling and screaming all night long. I seem to recall the Colonel Crazies setting up right behind the Highlands bench at basketball games at Highlands, instead of behind the CovCath bench. If people want to start poking, get ready to be poked back. :madman:

Edited by Birdsfan
Fixed Icon

I know I am late to the discussion and it may have been talked about previously, but I think Ryle hit the Panic button a little early. I say that because after the fumble on the 1st play of the 2nd half, the next 3 posessions Ryle started their series attempting to pass. The result was they end up in 2nd and 10 or more, and were behind the 8 ball. Highland offense then played ball control for good portion of the 2nd half. By the time Ryle went back to starting their series by running the ball they were down 2 scores. Even then they were having some success moving the ball, but ended two of their drives with TO's.

I am not saying that Ryle could or would have won the game, I think the best team won. However, I think once Ryle got down early in the 2nd half, they got away from their bread and butter. I was shocked Elliot didn't have another 8 - 10 touches in the 2nd half.