Highlands 29 Ryle 14

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also wanted to add that tonight one of the largest crowds I've ever seen at DCM. I would say it rivaled last year's St. Xavier game. The stands were jammed, the endzone stands were full, the fence spots were all taken, the rail was two and three deep in places, and the ramp was full. It was packed!

Ryle played an excellent game. Very proud of the Birds to stand their ground at the start of the 2nd half. Ryle fumbling on the opening drive of the second half and Sheehan's long pass play were the nails in the coffin! Two plays swung the whole game.

Game is just what I predicted, a running battle. The Highlands passing game and the Ryle passing game needs polishing. The Birds were good enough passing though to get it done. And I believe the passing game will come along just fine however, they are a solid running team.

Elliot's fumble on the opening drive of the 2nd half was the play that killed Ryle tonight. They had their running game going but that was a killer. Credit the Bird defense who really gang tackled and put some licks on the Raiders.

Towles threw 3 picks and you wont see that the rest of the year. He struggled at times with some underthrown balls but hit Sheehan on a nice bomb and Gold's TD with no time remaining in the first half was a beauty.

Great crowd at DCMS tonight, they really came out in droves.

Once again they had 1 ticket window open on one end and two on the other. The side that had two windows open had 80 people in one line and 8 in the other. I was one that figured that out and walked past the 80 people and got in the game in under 5 minutes. I still cant figure out why a school that has some of the highest test scores in the state cant figure it out that you send someone up and down the line with tickets and ask if anyone has correct change and you sell the tickets. Or you have a bucket at the gate and say make a donation to the Boosters of $6 or higher and you walk in the game. I gurantee you would see a lot of folks who dont have change just throw tenners in there. JMO

Play(s) of the game were the TD at the end of the first half by Highlands to cut it to 1 and the fumble on the first posession of the 2nd half. Huge momentum shift. Would have been a lot better game and really, really interesting if Ryle had not had 3 turnovers in the 2nd half.

The Highlands passing game and the Ryle passing game needs polishing. The Birds were good enough passing though to get it done. And I believe the passing game will come along just fine however, they are a solid running team.
I think a big part of Towles' passing difficulties can be attributed to the fact that he was forced to scramble quite a bit. The Ryle defenders were in his face a lot tonight.

On a sour note, a 4th grade FTJRFL player was walking to the concession stand on the sidelines and got wiped out by Sheehan who flew out of bounds. They really need to protect the fans in certain areas of the field. ON the side where the concessions /bathrooms are there were kids playing tackle by the goal line, I couldnt believe they allow that. Now I have a kid who likely will need stitches and not play tomorrow in the first youth game of the season.

I think a big part of Towles' passing difficulties can be attributed to the fact that he was forced to scramble quite a bit. The Ryle defenders were in his face a lot tonight.

#52 for Ryle was unreal. That kid was the best LB on the field tonight.

Also wanted to add that tonight one of the largest crowds I've ever seen at DCM. I would say it rivaled last year's St. Xavier game. The stands were jammed, the endzone stands were full, the fence spots were all taken, the rail was two and three deep in places, and the ramp was full. It was packed!

I had a hamburger at around 7:00 and it was second only to Mary Gruber's Grill at CovCath. Then I talk it up to Coach Hilvert from Thomas More and at half time he tells me they ran out. I'd say it was a huge crowd.

18 fumbled the opening 2nd drive not 34.....The game was over when Ryle punted the ball on 3rd down early in the 3rd. Can't really say I have seen a team quit so quickly when that happened!!!

Ok, I was at the far endzone, hard to see over some of the big fellas lining the fence. I was surprised at the quick kick as well.