What is your favorite kind of bourbon?

MJAlltheWay24

Question for the bourbon experts, where can I find and purchase pappy? I've never had any and would love to have a bottle or two. Also where's the best place to buy the limited release stuff like Woodford's masters collection, Old Forester birthday, buffalo trace antique etc?

Also has anyone tried the Willett cask strength?

I am told itt has become something where you almost have to know a distributor and be willing to pay more than face value (under the table of course) and pay in advance.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am told itt has become something where you almost have to know a distributor and be willing to pay more than face value (under the table of course) and pay in advance.

Yea I'm not very optimistic about finding any pappy at a reasonable cost... I just sometimes get naive and think it may be available at some mom and pop shop... I've heard that even the lottery's are rigged???

Yea I'm not very optimistic about finding any pappy at a reasonable cost... I just sometimes get naive and think it may be available at some mom and pop shop... I've heard that even the lottery's are rigged???

It has been years since I have seen a bottle sitting on the shelf, they are generally claimed with dowm payments well before they even reach the store, if they even make it to a store. I have tried Pappy 20 and 23. It was good but, in my opinion, not that much better than many premium bourbons which can be bought for a quarter of the price.

Kinda reminds me when I was detailing concours d' elegance cars some of the owners/detailers would brag about the Swiss Wax or similar beauty waxes that can go for over $250 or more than $1,000 for a tub. A Bently a guy I finished was brought in, one guy immediately stated, "That has Swiss Wax Concourso on it, I can spot that from anywhere!" Concourso retails for about $330. We looked at each other and laughed. We planned on using Pinnacle Souveran but did not have enough so we used Meguiars Mirror Glaze Number 16, I think I paid about $24 for it, LOL.

Had a camping trip this weekend and we opened three different bottles (3 different days). Had Angels Envy, Blantons, and Makers Mark. I really liked Angels Envy of the three.

I have all three in stock. Mrs. S likes Angels Envy, but it's a bit "hot" for me. I like less rye in the mix.

Question for the bourbon experts, where can I find and purchase pappy? I've never had any and would love to have a bottle or two. Also where's the best place to buy the limited release stuff like Woodford's masters collection, Old Forester birthday, buffalo trace antique etc?

You can get Pappy for $25 a shot at Eddie V's here in Tampa.

You could have camped out with these 400 people in very cold weather to buy one bottle this past weekend at Party Source.

400 camp out at Party Source for Pappy Van Winkle - Cincinnati Business Courier

I got a text today from a buddy who works at a liquor store (in BG), and they got in Jefferson's Ocean and Mitchers today.

I think he's also got some 8 YO Willett in stock.

Pappy is released once a year in October. Some places put it out right away; some sit on it for awhile. Party Source in Bellevue just released theirs and people were standing in line for hours to get it. I almost guarantee they didn't sell their whole allotment and sometimes they will put some on the shelf without telling anyone in advance. You should check with local liquor stores and see if they have any "in the back".

You could have camped out with these 400 people in very cold weather to buy one bottle this past weekend at Party Source.

400 camp out at Party Source for Pappy Van Winkle - Cincinnati Business Courier

Pappy just isn't worth that much to me. There are plenty of $50-$80 bottles of bourbon that I can enjoy just as much, and MUCH more easily than a $250 bottle of Pappy that I'd have to camp out for.

Anyone had this yet?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47940[/ATTACH]

Very nice. Very spicy, but very nice.

My notes from when I tasted my bottle.

Makers Mark Cask Strength

Batch No 14-01

Purchased from distillery on BC

Tasted on 10/19/2014

Nose: Nothing remarkable here. Maybe some very slight toffee?

Taste: Big oak taste, nice.

Finish: nice at first, but there's something I'm not quite sure of that hits you as it goes down.

Summary: Just like regular Makers, something I'd drink if given to me or without another option, but not a standout bourbon.

I recently started drinking some bourbon myself. I started on Makers and recently tried Knob Creek. I'm more of a fan of Knob Creek, but what would I know I'm just a 24 year old punk. I do go only ice cube though.

Two very nice choices.

Next time you're out and having some drinks, order a Basil Hayden on the rock(s). It's an 80 proof bourbon that is fabulous.