What is your favorite kind of bourbon?

MJAlltheWay24

If you all come to Bardstown for the Bourbon Festival, I will set up a sampler for you.

I was in Bardstown for the Jim Beam 200th Anniversary celebration. It was by invitation only on OCT. 13TH AND 14TH 1995. J.B sent out invitations to all the Jim Beams that they could find. My father in law and his oldest son James Jr were invited along with other JB's one was from Austria. They recieved money along with fancy JB hats. It was for the weekend and was like a carnival, all the free food and drink you wanted , and on Sunday evening, they gave away a Jim Beam special edition Harley, with a Jim Beam black leather jacket. I was fortunate enough to have Booker sign my bottle of Jim Beam, and the wood crate that it came in. It was neat when we got there the people would open the car door and then the news reporters would ask where you were from. We also got a tour of the distillery, only three people there and the rest was automated.

Sorry, didn't mean to ramble on. I quit drinking when I turned 21, but if I were to drink it would be J.B.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I generally hit the draft beer when I go out for economical drinking, but there's a place I go to in town that I love to hit up for their bourbon selection. Lately I've been on Evan Williams Single Barrel, which I really, really love, and Evan Williams 1783.

Isn't there some kind of a "Bourbon Bar" in the Mainstrasse bar district in Covington? Anybody gone to sample their wares?

The Old KY Bourbon Bar opened the week prior to Maifest. I went down during their first week and sampled the new Woodford Double Oak and it was very good but $9 is a bit steep. They have around 100 bottles and the Pappy VanWinkle will set you back $57 a shot.

I heard the bar tender talking about a member of the Hatfield family showing up. They wanted him to move the Jack Daniels bottles so they didn't have to see them.

Once upon a time my favorite bourbon was the type made in Kentucky that came in a bottle. Grew up (drinking wise) drinking Beam...and lots of it, then fell for Makers. Woodford is really good as is Williams. I however no longer drink.

The Old KY Bourbon Bar opened the week prior to Maifest. I went down during their first week and sampled the new Woodford Double Oak and it was very good but $9 is a bit steep. They have around 100 bottles and the Pappy VanWinkle will set you back $57 a shot.

I heard the bar tender talking about a member of the Hatfield family showing up. They wanted him to move the Jack Daniels bottles so they didn't have to see them.

Even for Pappy that's steep.

A few months after making my initial post in this thread, Mrs. S and I attended the USF/UofL game in Louisville. The night before the game, we met several other USF road warrior couples at the Bourbon Bistro on Franklin Avenue. There, I got my first edumacation in the variety of bourbons available. They bring you a flat of five bourbons you select from a list of over a 100. You get to sample wheated and various mixtures of rye bourbons side by side.

Last fall, before football season began, the same group got together at a road warrior's home to have a preseason party and bourbon tasting. I've found that I've acquired a taste for Buffalo Trace over Makers, even 46. Can't tell you why. It just suits me better for some reason. Of course, my taste could change at the next turn, too.

This year's preseason party is at my house. I'm going to slide a scotch into the blind tasting to see if the palettes of the avowed experts are as good as they contend.

LOVE Bourbon Bistro! We ate there after the KY Oaks this year and everything was awesome!

Here are some I haven't seen mentioned much in here that I really enjoy.

Willet - Never gets talked about but man this stuff is good. Anyone who considers themselves a bourbon enthusiast should go out and grab a bottle...yesterday.

Blanton's - When you factor in price and everything this is probably my favorite.

Old Forester - This is my "house" bourbon.

Parker's Heritage Collection - People talk about Pappy's, well I'd take a bottle of this any day. I happen to know where one resides too. :D

They used to have really good food. Is the still the case?

The location at Spalding Hall closed a while back. He's had the new Xavier's open in the alley behind Mammy's, Crume Drugs, etc., since right around Bourbon Fest time. There's a new place in the Spalding Hall basement now called The Rickhouse. It's supposed to be pretty good food, but I've not had a chance to check it out yet.

The new Xavier's is a bar only.

Here are some I haven't seen mentioned much in here that I really enjoy.

Willet - Never gets talked about but man this stuff is good. Anyone who considers themselves a bourbon enthusiast should go out and grab a bottle...yesterday.

Blanton's - When you factor in price and everything this is probably my favorite.

Old Forester - This is my "house" bourbon.

Parker's Heritage Collection - People talk about Pappy's, well I'd take a bottle of this any day. I happen to know where one resides too. :D

Blanton's is FABULOUS!

You Woodford Reserve drinkers would like Old Forester. Why you ask? Because it's the same recipe! And MUCH cheaper!

The location at Spalding Hall closed a while back. He's had the new Xavier's open in the alley behind Mammy's, Crume Drugs, etc., since right around Bourbon Fest time. There's a new place in the Spalding Hall basement now called The Rickhouse. It's supposed to be pretty good food, but I've not had a chance to check it out yet.

The new Xavier's is a bar only.

I thought I had heard it closed. Is the new Xavier's pretty cool?