Cincinnati Reds: Buyers or Sellers?

If they continue to get quality pitching from the starters, the race will come down to the wire for the Reds. Mark it down. But the pitching must continue to perform like it has the last week or so.

Priceless! I'll hold on to this for the remainder of the season:laugh::laugh:

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't be surprised to see them be both. They will pare off players like Ross, Weathers, Hairston, and even Arroyo.

But if they can grab bullpen help or even a fourth starter for the right price (and to keep the Cards and Brewers from getting them), I wouldn't be surprised to see the Reds pull the trigger for next year.

By August 15th you will see Tired arms from the young guys and Bronson will start throwing BP. Fogg will go back to being in a Fog and Stormy Weathers will blow atleast 4 to 5 more games. Majewski they should designate for assignment and they should deal David Ross for a player to be named later.

I deal Dunn or Griffey at end of season as well.

By August 15th you will see Tired arms from the young guys and Bronson will start throwing BP. Fogg will go back to being in a Fog and Stormy Weathers will blow atleast 4 to 5 more games. Majewski they should designate for assignment and they should deal David Ross for a player to be named later.

I deal Dunn or Griffey at end of season as well.

I love the negativity on this board toward the Reds. Everyone complains about the bullpen, but in reality the pen is one of the best in the league.

I love the negativity on this board toward the Reds. Everyone complains about the bullpen, but in reality the pen is one of the best in the league.

The pen is light years better than last year. It's not the problem. Starting pitching and a woeful offense are the root problems for this club. Is it negativity? Or is it reality. Do you remember the Reds last winning season? How about their last playoff appearance? World Series? Doubt that one. I have been an ardent Reds fan for 4 decades. The 70's 80's and early 90's were pretty decent. Now we're stuck with 00's. One of the worst periods in Reds history. And here's what kills me, some fans don't get it. They haven't been good for a long time, and will not be good at least for a little while longer. Throught the parade of joke managers and GMs here is where we are. The Reds WILL NOT compete for a title this year. Now if Jockety can prove his worth, unload the dead weight on this team and add good peices to a nice young nucleus then perhaps they will. They will not with this team. Talk to you at the end of the season.

How valuable is a guy who is hitting .341 with 2 HR & 14 SB? Let's not forget that he's a veteran who has been handling the leadoff role brilliantly.

Add that to the fact that some teams get desperate for a playoff push, and I think Hairston would be a great value for anyone.

I'm a Jerry Hairston Jr. fan. He can play almost any position and he plays hard. But it makes too much sense to trade him to a contender where we can get a few young, talented players in return.

Hairston wasn't mentioned specifically and honestly I think he's one of the few that some teams would like to have. However, teams giving us legitimate prospects for Bako.... :rolleyes:

I agree with you. 7 games back and even though theres some teams to leap frog they are basically right there with those teams except MIL and STL who lead the wildcard. The next 6 games against MIL and CHC will decide what direction the front office is going. At this point the trading of Griffey or Dunn could be similar to the Phillies trading Abreau. It was a sell that benefited.

The pen is light years better than last year. It's not the problem. Starting pitching and a woeful offense are the root problems for this club. Is it negativity? Or is it reality. Do you remember the Reds last winning season? How about their last playoff appearance? World Series? Doubt that one. I have been an ardent Reds fan for 4 decades. The 70's 80's and early 90's were pretty decent. Now we're stuck with 00's. One of the worst periods in Reds history. And here's what kills me, some fans don't get it. They haven't been good for a long time, and will not be good at least for a little while longer. Throught the parade of joke managers and GMs here is where we are. The Reds WILL NOT compete for a title this year. Now if Jockety can prove his worth, unload the dead weight on this team and add good peices to a nice young nucleus then perhaps they will. They will not with this team. Talk to you at the end of the season.

Never said they would compete for a title. A wild card spot and title are two very different things. A lot needs to happen for them to do so, but it's very possible, and they mainly need to contine to pitch well.