Cincinnati Reds: Buyers or Sellers?

How valuable is a guy who is hitting .341 with 2 HR & 14 SB? Let's not forget that he's a veteran who has been handling the leadoff role brilliantly.

Add that to the fact that some teams get desperate for a playoff push, and I think Hairston would be a great value for anyone.

I'm a Jerry Hairston Jr. fan. He can play almost any position and he plays hard. But it makes too much sense to trade him to a contender where we can get a few young, talented players in return.

This is the same Hairston that hit .198 in 2006 and 2007 ... the Reds have caught a little lightning in a bottle with him, and he's an easy guy to root for, but he's 32 and there isn't a contender out there that will give up legitimate prospects for him.

It wouldn't surprise me if Weathers brought more on the market than Hairston does ...

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the same Hairston that hit .198 in 2006 and 2007 ... the Reds have caught a little lightning in a bottle with him, and he's an easy guy to root for, but he's 32 and there isn't a contender out there that will give up legitimate prospects for him.

It wouldn't surprise me if Weathers brought more on the market than Hairston does ...

That's why I think you need to trade him. Say what you want, but Hairston has performed brilliantly this year. He's hitting .346 and is a serious threat on the basepaths.

Somebody will overpay for him.

And I'm still shocked that David Weathers brings any interest at all. I'd almost feel bad trading him to any team, knowing what they'll get.

I bet Arizona would. They are really struggling for offense, and need a LF since Byrnes is done for the year.

I bet Arizona would. They are really struggling for offense, and need a LF since Byrnes is done for the year.
If Arizona is going to give up a legitimate prospect or two, they will do it for a more established player than Hairston.

If Arizona is going to give up a legitimate prospect or two, they will do it for a more established player than Hairston.

Who else is available that fits into that category?

And I'm still shocked that David Weathers brings any interest at all. I'd almost feel bad trading him to any team, knowing what they'll get.
You're just down on Weathers ... he isn't a star, but he's been a solid, reliable reliever for a while, and that will draw some interest.

Who else is available that fits into that category?
Not sure, but no one in baseball considers Hairston an everyday outfielder ... no one is going to pay very much to acquire a utility player that's had a good first half.

Now if someone needs Hairston to play second base, they might be willing to pay a little more, given that he's been a good defensive player there his entire career.

Not sure, but no one in baseball considers Hairston an everyday outfielder ... no one is going to pay very much to acquire a utility player that's had a good first half.

You would be surprised. I think two prospects is stretching it, but I feel a AA prospect would be worth the risk for them. I'm sure they are really kicking themselves for trading Carlos Quinten in the offseason for a single A prospcet.