Cincinnati Reds: Buyers or Sellers?

I'd be interested to listen in on a deal for Hairston...

I don't know if i'd say Hairston is untouchable or not. He's providing a great spark for this team, but i'm not sure if he can continue to do it or not.

I think you listen to all deals for all players. Some are simply going to have to be so silly before you'll even listen.

On Hairston, it would have to be a strong deal that helps my team now. This team has no candidates to be a leadoff hitter other than Hairston. We've proven over the years that , like my dad always said, they don't grow on the trees in the back yard.

Considering that teams aren't giving up major league pitching for Hairston, what would you have to get in return for him if you don't have any leadoff prospects?

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you listen to all deals for all players. Some are simply going to have to be so silly before you'll even listen.

On Hairston, it would have to be a strong deal that helps my team now. This team has no candidates to be a leadoff hitter other than Hairston. We've proven over the years that , like my dad always said, they don't grow on the trees in the back yard.

Considering that teams aren't giving up major league pitching for Hairston, what would you have to get in return for him if you don't have any leadoff prospects?

I'm just not sold the he can do this over the course of a year. He's a career .250-.260 hitter

National League

East

Philadelphia 48 40 .545

Florida 44 43 .506

New York 43 44 .494

Atlanta 41 47 .466

Washington 34 55 .382

Central W L PCT

Chicago 52 36 .591

St. Louis 50 39 .562

Milwaukee 48 39 .552

Cincinnati 42 47 .472

Houston 41 47 .466

Pittsburgh 40 46 .465

West W L PCT

Arizona 43 45 .489

Los Angeles 42 45 .483

San Francisco 39 49 .443

San Diego 35 53 .398

Good chance NL Central claims the wild card. Reds are basically 8 games behind Cardinals for the Wild Card.

The thought process would be can you make up that ground with what you have. If you cannot, you begin to dump Jr for whatever you can get if you don't plan on signing him in the offseason.

If you cannot have a deal signed with Dunn (and if they could or wanted to, I think they may have already done it) then you dump him.

I wouldn't be for dumping any pitching.

Hairston, Dunn and Bruce would make a good OF next year. Votto, Phillips, Keppinger and E-5 around the infield.

National League

East

Philadelphia 48 40 .545

Florida 44 43 .506

New York 43 44 .494

Atlanta 41 47 .466

Washington 34 55 .382

Central W L PCT

Chicago 52 36 .591

St. Louis 50 39 .562

Milwaukee 48 39 .552

Cincinnati 42 47 .472

Houston 41 47 .466

Pittsburgh 40 46 .465

West W L PCT

Arizona 43 45 .489

Los Angeles 42 45 .483

San Francisco 39 49 .443

San Diego 35 53 .398

Good chance NL Central claims the wild card. Reds are basically 8 games behind Cardinals for the Wild Card.

The thought process would be can you make up that ground with what you have. If you cannot, you begin to dump Jr for whatever you can get if you don't plan on signing him in the offseason.

If you cannot have a deal signed with Dunn (and if they could or wanted to, I think they may have already done it) then you dump him.

I wouldn't be for dumping any pitching.

Hairston, Dunn and Bruce would make a good OF next year. Votto, Phillips, Keppinger and E-5 around the infield.

You need to mention the 4 other teams they would have to leapfrog to get there. That makes 5 and that is of today. Another poor road trip and that number goes to about 8 or 9 teams. Possible? On paper yes. In reality no way

I think it's amazing how much our fans think some of these guys are worth.

That's a universal problem. I just don't think the Reds can get enough to get immediate help in return. Most teams are going to offer a minor leaguer who is not nearly ready to perform at the MLB level. So, what do the Reds do for a leadoff hitter?

You need to mention the 4 other teams they would have to leapfrog to get there. That makes 5 and that is of today. Another poor road trip and that number goes to about 8 or 9 teams. Possible? On paper yes. In reality no way

If they continue to get quality pitching from the starters, the race will come down to the wire for the Reds. Mark it down. But the pitching must continue to perform like it has the last week or so.

It really is amazing:thumb: What's also amazing is someone mentioning the wildcard:D

Playoffs! did you say playoffs!:lol:

How valuable is a guy who is hitting .341 with 2 HR & 14 SB? Let's not forget that he's a veteran who has been handling the leadoff role brilliantly.

Add that to the fact that some teams get desperate for a playoff push, and I think Hairston would be a great value for anyone.

I'm a Jerry Hairston Jr. fan. He can play almost any position and he plays hard. But it makes too much sense to trade him to a contender where we can get a few young, talented players in return.

I'm keeping Bruce, Phillips, Volzquez, Cueto, Harrang, Votto, Keppinger. Anybody else is expendable if the price is right. I think the Reds are about 2 years from being REALLY good. I don't think you spend a ton of cash right now but I would be looking to make deals that would make me the best possible team I could put on the field about 2 years from now. I would definatly send Griff on his way and if I can get Boston/NY etc in a bidding war on Dunn then I'd get all over it. The Brewers have a ton of young prospects and have a chance to make a push this year so I'd even talk to them. The Rays are another team.