Most overrated men's bball player ever at UK

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't followed UK basketball that closely, so I only go back a few years. I would have to say Myron Anthony from Jacksonville, FL in 1997 I believe.

I saw him play and thought he had all the talent in the world, he finished runner up to some guy named Vince Carter for Mr Basketball in Florida.

He came to UK with the wrong attitude since he was always THE GUY in high school and little did he know he was going to a team with 12 THE GUYS. He probably would have been better suited going to a smaller school and being the main person on the team. Just wasn't meant to be.

I'm still confused by that whole situation. I thought he looked great in the preseason, but he got buried on the bench really quick. He had potential and a great attitude. I'm still left scratching my head.

He wanted to play on the perimeter, Tubby wanted him down low, he hurt his back, gave Tubby a reason to not play him. At least that's the way I thought it went down.

I don't think Joe Crawford is overrated. I think he's not played to the hype of when he came in, but that would make him a bust. But only a minor bust IMO. He is a solid player who just likes to shoot the ball. But to be overrated it means that common opinion is that the player is better than he actually is. I could be mistaken but I pretty sure common opinion is that he is a solid player, but nothing amazing.

You've gotta love the nickname "Master Blaster". Wasn't the guy a pitcher with 90mph heat in HS? I think Marvin "Hands of" Stone and Gimel Martinez should rank towards the top of the list. Both go to show that being top 50 in HS means absolutely nothing in college.

The All Time Bad Homegrown Team:

G Todd Tackett

G Jody Thompson

G Josh Carrier

G Brandon Stockton

C Jared Carter

G Chris Harrison

Who else belongs on this list?

Mike Scott

You've gotta love the nickname "Master Blaster". Wasn't the guy a pitcher with 90mph heat in HS? I think Marvin "Hands of" Stone and Gimel Martinez should rank towards the top of the list. Both go to show that being top 50 in HS means absolutely nothing in college.

:lol:

I have to agree. Stone is the kind of hyped up player that can make a coach look bad. He also had 'stone feet'.

Derrick Hord is another player who didn't live up to his hype. Coming out of high school in Bristol, Tenn. he was known as 'The Thundering Hord' and destined for greatness. But imo he was very average at best.

And I was very disappointed in Barbour. He was JUCO player of the year and a hero for E-Town in the Panthers run to the state title. But he was a flop at UK.

I think it was Rashad Carruth, I could be wrong on that one. Great shooter, horrible attitude.

He did have a terrible attitude, what I remember of him he'd get put in for a spark, hit two or three three's then an ex coach of ours would jerk him out, and he'd stay out the rest of the game. I don't know if it was due to his attitude, but I seen it with quite a few players over the last ten years.