Brennaman's thoughts on Dunn

colonel-fan

Agree or disagree with Marty on Mr. Dunn?

Question-and-Answer with Marty Brennaman

What about outfielder Adam Dunn (40 home runs, 92 runs-batted in in 2006)? Could he be the key?

Brennaman: "I am pretty close to giving up on Adam Dunn. I don't know if he is capable of changing his approach to the plate, based on what the count is, and can be happy with shortening his swing, hitting the ball the other way and showing a measure of discipline. I am at the point where I don't know if it can happen. He is a guy who drove in five runs in the month of September last year and didn't even get to 100 runs batted-in.

"People constantly ask if the club is trying to trade him. I think this team waited one year too long to try and trade him. If they had traded him after 2005, they would have got something good. I don't think there was a team in baseball that had any interest in him after last year.

"He is going to make $10 million this year. I get tired of people saying he hits 40 home runs and drives in 100 runs. Wonderful. This is a guy who should hit 50 plus home runs and should drive in 130 runs or more every single year. And he can't do it because he leads the world in strikeouts. I think he was overweight last year. He walks to his position. He walks off the field. You see no energy whatsoever and that disappoints the heck out of me."

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Agree or disagree with Marty on Mr. Dunn?

Question-and-Answer with Marty Brennaman

What about outfielder Adam Dunn (40 home runs, 92 runs-batted in in 2006)? Could he be the key?

Brennaman: "I am pretty close to giving up on Adam Dunn. I don't know if he is capable of changing his approach to the plate, based on what the count is, and can be happy with shortening his swing, hitting the ball the other way and showing a measure of discipline. I am at the point where I don't know if it can happen. He is a guy who drove in five runs in the month of September last year and didn't even get to 100 runs batted-in.

"People constantly ask if the club is trying to trade him. I think this team waited one year too long to try and trade him. If they had traded him after 2005, they would have got something good. I don't think there was a team in baseball that had any interest in him after last year.

"He is going to make $10 million this year. I get tired of people saying he hits 40 home runs and drives in 100 runs. Wonderful. This is a guy who should hit 50 plus home runs and should drive in 130 runs or more every single year. And he can't do it because he leads the world in strikeouts. I think he was overweight last year. He walks to his position. He walks off the field. You see no energy whatsoever and that disappoints the heck out of me."

:thumb:

Marty tells it like it is!

Dear Marty:

Dunn could drive in 130, if more would get on ahead of him and additional protection was offered, behind him in the order....:irked:

.... and hustle, and get in playing shape before Sept., and stop swinging at bad pitches, and try to hit for something other than a HR,.......etc.

Dear Marty:

Dunn could drive in 130, if more would get on ahead of him and additional protection was offered, behind him in the order....:irked:

He's not ever going to drive in 130 as long as he only has 24 doubles and 67 singles in a season while striking out 194 times. He is a quinessential all or nothing player. For his career he has averaged less than a hit per game and in the last 3 years he has driven in 295 runs while hitting 126 home runs. That means that he has only driven in 169 people other than himself. If you took away all the RBIs that occurred on homeruns I would bet that he would be averaging less than 35 RBIs a year on hits other than home runs. To me he's been a big disappointment and he seems unwilling to change.

He's not ever going to drive in 130 as long as he only has 24 doubles and 67 singles in a season while striking out 194 times. He is a quinessential all or nothing player. For his career he has averaged less than a hit per game and in the last 3 years he has driven in 295 runs while hitting 126 home runs. That means that he has only driven in 169 people other than himself. If you took away all the RBIs that occurred on homeruns I would bet that he would be averaging less than 35 RBIs a year on hits other than home runs. To me he's been a big disappointment and he seems unwilling to change.

I can't disagree with you much, but he may be unable to change. He struggles with breaking pitches. Plain and Simple. He sits dead red and can hit it into the river. As for protection, I don't subscribe to that much. Yes, he could benefit from a healthy potent Griffey in front of him or yet, behind him. But the fact that if the pitch spins, he goes back to the dugout remains. Shorten his swing, whatever, he just can't hit the breaking ball unless he guesses right and you hang it.

where is HSSB on this issue, I'd be interested in his opinion?!!

I can't disagree with you much, but he may be unable to change. He struggles with breaking pitches. Plain and Simple. He sits dead red and can hit it into the river. As for protection, I don't subscribe to that much. Yes, he could benefit from a healthy potent Griffey in front of him or yet, behind him. But the fact that if the pitch spins, he goes back to the dugout remains. Shorten his swing, whatever, he just can't hit the breaking ball unless he guesses right and you hang it.

where is HSSB on this issue, I'd be interested in his opinion?!!

:thumb:

IMO he's made no attempt to get better in the areas that he lacks. MAybe he has, but his swing hasn't changed much (and is looping) which makes me think he hasn't made any attempt to get better at the things he struggles with. Plus his numbers have dropped 3 years in a row.

I just wish Marty would stop pulling punches and say what he means.:laugh:

I agree with him that if the Reds had thoughts on trading him, they would have done better a year ago. And I'll guess that Wayne has shopped him somewhat this winter. With that said, unless our defense and pitching improves, Dunn won't make or break this team. His price tag @10mil is probably more than we'd all like, but it's not like he's totally unproductive. We keep hacking on his K's, but forget how many freebies he gets. He scores plenty because he gets on base via walks. If we get more production behind him, he scores 130. So what's the difference, drive in 130 or score 130?

Marty is a hall of famer for a reason. My hope is Dunn will grow up understand his shortcomings and do something about them. I heard on someone's radio show this weekend that Dunn had made a new found commitment and was already in Fla. working out. At 10 million dollars a year its time to take it to another level and I hope Dunn realizes that.

I for one will be pulling for him and I hope we all eat a lot of crow this year!!