Brennaman's thoughts on Dunn

colonel-fan

There are 10 million reasons Adam Dunn needs to have better numbers. There are problems. I'm all for the positives. I was in the Diamond seats when Dunner hit a 3 run bomb to win the game. I've always been a huge Dunn fan. However..... What is your response to the negatives? Why have they gotton worse for the last 3 years? Why was Dunn not "fit" last year?

I can guess because I have no idea (oddly, just like everyone else). Maybe he isn't comfortable being the go-to guy; maybe the guy on the team he is closest to and who he tries to emulate isn't leading him to do the little things right; maybe he was pressing and trying to live up to his contract; maybe he doesn't take things as seriously as others and his flippancy caused him to get complacent; maybe he lost his confidence and couldn't get it back; maybe he was trying to hit those 50 bombs and it back-fired. Take your pick.

I've never seen Dunn without a shirt, so I can't comment on his fitness. To me, he didn't look any bigger than years before. He's a huge guy. If he was out of shape, that's a mistake on his part. No defense for that...IF he was not fit.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can guess because I have no idea (oddly, just like everyone else). Maybe he isn't comfortable being the go-to guy; maybe the guy on the team he is closest to and who he tries to emulate isn't leading him to do the little things right; maybe he was pressing and trying to live up to his contract; maybe he doesn't take things as seriously as others and his flippancy caused him to get complacent; maybe he lost his confidence and couldn't get it back; maybe he was trying to hit those 50 bombs and it back-fired. Take your pick.

I've never seen Dunn without a shirt, so I can't comment on his fitness. To me, he didn't look any bigger than years before. He's a huge guy. If he was out of shape, that's a mistake on his part. No defense for that...IF he was not fit.

He is a HUGE guy. He's a real nice guy too and very humble. I just don't see his weaknesses improving and that's a gigantic red flag. You can defend him with positives all you want, but he still shouldn't strike out 200 times and he still shouldn't have 45 bombs with 88 RBI's. He can't hit 200 with RISP. He's gotta improve.

He is a HUGE guy. He's a real nice guy too and very humble. I just don't see his weaknesses improving and that's a gigantic red flag. You can defend him with positives all you want, but he still shouldn't strike out 200 times and he still shouldn't have 45 bombs with 88 RBI's. He can't hit 200 with RISP. He's gotta improve.

Agree.

Definitely agree. Very likable trait.

I hope you're wrong.

I agree, the flip side to being selective is that you get deep in counts.

He should be batting 2nd (IMHO), so unless the pitcher or the 8-hole guy gets on, his RBI chances will be limited.

Agree...his approach with RISP has been poor. Let's hope it gets better with age.

Agree -- although, again, what he has given the Reds in spite of his weaknesses is Top 10 offensive player in the NL-material. Often forgotten. His career numbers through age 26 have him on a HOF pace. Also too often forgotten.

Said it before and say it again, Dunn is not perfect....

Question: All of you MLB fans, name each NL team and the 1-2 or 3 guys, that you wouldn't want to beat you, with RSIP or via the HR....Let's see how many include Dunn and whom the others are, for the sake of discussion on my position, of no protection.

The thing that drives people crazy about Dunn is it seems as if he doesn't care. No one knows for sure how much time and effort he puts in but himself. When he does things like grab his golf clubs and he has the appearance of not caring people get upset. I thought he had the potential to become the .280 45 130 guy. If he does have that and everything else goes right the Reds could compete. What's frustrating for Marty and Reds fans is that they now just like myself realize he isn't going to be that guy. I can see where Marty could be frustrated.

As an aside. If I'm Dunn and my clubbing and bar hopping is widley talked about around the city I'm not commenting on Marty's drinking habbits.

Another one, maybe he should find another role model on the team than the guy who possibly had the best God given gifts in the last 25 years, but is considered not to have the greatest work ethic of all time. Dunn has considerable God given ability, but he needs to work extremely hard to become a very good player. Does he have the desire to be a very good player is the biggest question with Dunn.

The respect that opposing managers show Dunn is answer enough to what the League thinks of him. I know Gametime, Cshs81, and others will remember this, but last year Dunn got intentionally walked after getting 2 strikes on him. I mean literally, the catcher stood up and stuck out the left arm after the count was 2-2. Unbelievable respect.

Said it before and say it again, Dunn is not perfect....

Question: All of you MLB fans, name each NL team and the 1-2 or 3 guys, that you wouldn't want to beat you, with RSIP or via the HR....Let's see how many include Dunn and whom the others are, for the sake of discussion on my position, of no protection.

Most teams are like that though. There is typically a "best hitter" on a team. The thing about Dunn is he typically beats himself and the other team doesn't have to worry about him beating them.

Most teams are like that though. There is typically a "best hitter" on a team. The thing about Dunn is he typically beats himself and the other team doesn't have to worry about him beating them.
So you are saying, Dunn is the Reds best hitter. I'm eluding to his power numbers and production, which seems to be the crux of most posters, that his stats should be elevated.

When you think Reds, is Dunn a name the opposing Managers will say, as to not let him beat you, with one swing of the bat....Yes.

So you are saying, Dunn is the Reds best hitter. I'm eluding to his power numbers and production, which seems to be the crux of most posters, that his stats should be elevated.

When you think Reds, is Dunn a name the opposing Managers will say, as to not let him beat you, with one swing of the bat....Yes.

Call me crazy but I would think Dunn would be behind Griffey