Brennaman's thoughts on Dunn

colonel-fan

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Marty is a hall of famer for a reason. My hope is Dunn will grow up understand his shortcomings and do something about them. I heard on someone's radio show this weekend that Dunn had made a new found commitment and was already in Fla. working out. At 10 million dollars a year its time to take it to another level and I hope Dunn realizes that.

I for one will be pulling for him and I hope we all eat a lot of crow this year!!

:thumb:

Marty is a hall of famer for a reason. My hope is Dunn will grow up understand his shortcomings and do something about them. I heard on someone's radio show this weekend that Dunn had made a new found commitment and was already in Fla. working out. At 10 million dollars a year its time to take it to another level and I hope Dunn realizes that.

I for one will be pulling for him and I hope we all eat a lot of crow this year!!

I would say if he is already in Fl working out,it is on his golf game.I will have to see it to believe it.He needs to change his work habits for sure and until he does,well we get what he is,lazy.:thumb:

Can't drive them in, unless someone is on....Then, if no one is behind in the batting order, the part of the plate you will get pitched has corners on it.

No one here, including myself are saying Dunn is an ironman athlete type but his numbers, are directly related to those around him and their production, or in his defense....lack of.

Can't drive them in, unless someone is on....Then, if no one is behind in the batting order, the part of the plate you will get pitched has corners on it.

No one here, including myself are saying Dunn is an ironman athlete type but his numbers, are directly related to those around him and their production, or in his defense....lack of.

Did you mean lack of defense because when talking about Adam Dunn that's an understatement. Edwin had a good year last year, Kearns was playing well before the trade, Griffey hit the year before that. Aurilia had a very good year at the plate. Dunn takes too many good pitches early in the count and swings at too many bad ones when he gets behind. If he strikes out 200 times maybe 20 are because of lack of protection in the line-up.

Doesn't matter if they are on or not. Remember his BA with runner's in scoring position hover around 200.

I have to say I was thoroughly disappointed in Dunn last year. I expected him to make that next step with how he had finished the previous season, cutting back on K's and increasing his BA with runners in scoring position. I had predicted him finishing in the top 10 of MVP voting. None of that happened and instead of taking that next step forward, he took a step backward.

S3. Can you say Dave Kingman?

Did you mean lack of defense because when talking about Adam Dunn that's an understatement. Edwin had a good year last year, Kearns was playing well before the trade, Griffey hit the year before that. Aurilia had a very good year at the plate. Dunn takes too many good pitches early in the count and swings at too many bad ones when he gets behind.
Power hitters and RBI men, are taught to go deep into count, to see more pitches.

Unless there is consistency in front and behind, "power" type of guys like Dunn, teams will not let them beat them or pitch around....which often happens to Dunn.

If you're a MLB Manager, does the name Aurilia, Edwin "E" concern you much from power number perspectives....Doesn't me, Dunn gets pitched around.....By the way, how many times was Dunn walked in '06.....112. His K's were certainly up, since teams pitch around him, which caused his OBS and SLG %'s, to decline.

Dunn has weaknesses, as do many others and equally so, with the supporting cast of characters.

Power hitters and RBI men, are taught to go deep into count, to see more pitches.

Unless there is consistency in front and behind, "power" type of guys like Dunn, teams will not let them beat them or pitch around....which often happens to Dunn.

If you're a MLB Manager, does the name Aurilia, Edwin "E" concern you much from power number perspectives....Doesn't me, Dunn gets pitched around.....By the way, how many times was Dunn walked in '06.....112. His K's were certainly up, since teams pitch around him, which caused his OBS and SLG %'s, to decline.

Dunn has weaknesses, as do many others and equally so, with the supporting cast of characters.

Ask GAry Sheffield and Barry Bonds if they take first pitch fastballs over the plate. In fact ask any of the top power hitters. Manny, Papi, etc. etc. It's a safe pitch to Dunn because he'll take it.

Edwin's numbers are almost identical to David Wright's per at bat. It isn't his fault Jerry Narron sat him for 20 something games after the injury.

Ask GAry Sheffield and Barry Bonds if they take first pitch fastballs over the plate. In fact ask any of the top power hitters. Manny, Papi, etc. etc. It's a safe pitch to Dunn because he'll take it.

Edwin's numbers are almost identical to David Wright's per at bat. It isn't his fault Jerry Narron sat him for 20 something games after the injury.

You've even strengthen my argument, in mentioning Manny and Papi....they protect each other, as in whom do you pitch do with men on base...:lol:

Bonds walks a ton and no need to ask any power hitter, I've been around the game long enough to understand, the role of each spot in the batting order.

Dunn will hit better, when he's surrounded by a better supporting cast, with power.

You've even strengthen my argument, in mentioning Manny and Papi....they protect each other, as in whom do you pitch do with men on base...:lol:

Bonds walks a ton and no need to ask any power hitter, I've been around the game long enough to understand, the role of each spot in the batting order.

Dunn will hit better, when he's surrounded by a better supporting cast, with power.

Bonds wasn't supported and seem to do fine.:D unelss you count the cream.

I doubt that. If you analyze his at-bats, he'll never be above a .235 hitter. He can't hit a breaking pitch. IMO, Dunn should change his approach. If you make the mistake of trying to get ahead of him with a first pitch FB, wail away! Lay off first pitch breaking balls. Learn to lay one down the 3B line once in a blue moon. Show some signs of advancement in your mental approach. To compare him to Manny, Papi, Lee, et.al is silly. He is not in their category. He may hit in the same position in the lineup, but not in the same caliber of hitter. I agree to an extent that protection in the lineup would possibly help somewhat, but if you are able to locate your breaking stuff, you have an 80% chance Dunn won't make much contact.

Kingman could only hit a ball, 23 out of 100 times....

Dunn is going the wrong way with his average.

2004 was .266

2005 was .247

2006 was .234

Looks to me that the more they see Dunn the better they are adjusting to him.

I really am not giving up on Dunn. What is he 27 yrs old? Now is the time to realize his potential and as they do in Texas take the bull by the horns!!