Brennaman's thoughts on Dunn

colonel-fan

You've even strengthen my argument, in mentioning Manny and Papi....they protect each other, as in whom do you pitch do with men on base...:lol:

Bonds walks a ton and no need to ask any power hitter, I've been around the game long enough to understand, the role of each spot in the batting order.

Dunn will hit better, when he's surrounded by a better supporting cast, with power.

Question, can the Reds financially afford the protection for him offensively while also looking to sign..........say it with me.........................starting pitching?

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Kingman could only hit a ball, 23 out of 100 times....

Even Kingman only had a career high of 156 strikeouts. Also, he drove in an average of .623 runs per game vs. Dunn's career average of .568. This is in spite of the fact that Kingman only had a .236 career batting average along with a career on base percentage of .302. In 2005 Dunn only drove in 101 Runs on a team that led the NL in Runs Scored and was 2nd in on base percentage. It can't be a good sign when the number 1 player with stats similar to him is Ron Kittle.

You've even strengthen my argument, in mentioning Manny and Papi....they protect each other, as in whom do you pitch do with men on base...:lol:

Bonds walks a ton and no need to ask any power hitter, I've been around the game long enough to understand, the role of each spot in the batting order.

Dunn will hit better, when he's surrounded by a better supporting cast, with power.

Typically the other guys numbers go up, not the power hitter. Aurilia was a MVP candidate because he hit behind Bonds. Barry's numbers were affected? I doubt it. MAnny and Papi are the exception because they have 2 tremendous power hitters. Do you want starting pitchers or Wily Mo, Kearns, and Dunn because I think you've made it very clear as to what you think. Also, Adam Dunn looks at more good pitches than anyone I've ever watched play the game (other than some good lead-off guys and on base guys, Henderson, Brett Butler, Biggio). There is no need to take a fastball on the first pitch if you are Adam Dunn. You have to STAY AHEAD IN THE COUNT or they'll throw you 2, maybe 3 breaking pitches to follow it and Dunn's walking to the dugout.

The Reds had one of the best offenses in baseball just a few years ago and Adam Dunn was still Adam Dunn.

What I posted about Edwin was false. He hit a HR every 27 and Wright every 22. Also, his OPS was 831 and Wright's was 913 (I think). However, Edwin had more RBI's per at bat than Wright.

Question, can the Reds financially afford the protection for him offensively while also looking to sign..........say it with me.........................starting pitching?

You beat me to it, but only because someone had to talk to me mid-post!!!

Reds #1 priority to me, is starting pitching. Can they afford, not sure and until Dunn gets protection in the batting order, both before and after, his RBI totals will diminish each year, since opposing teams realize he can determine the outcome of a game, with one swing....in most games he plays.

Others Reds will hit HR's but not with the consistency Dunn does. It's easy for Marty, to set upstairs and label a guy as a 50HR/130RBI player and not have the supporting cast around him, to get the pitches needed to produce those numbers.

I like Marty, just see his analysis different from mine....and many here. Now, don't make me get out the big bat and thump a few of you....:D

Ah, I'll do it anyway, I'm sure you did something to deserve it....:lol:

Giant_bat[1].gif

Reds #1 priority to me, is starting pitching. Can they afford, not sure and until Dunn gets protection in the batting order, both before and after, his RBI totals will diminish each year, since opposing teams realize he can determine the outcome of a game, with one swing....in most games he plays.

Others Reds will hit HR's but not with the consistency Dunn does. It's easy for Marty, to set upstairs and label a guy as a 50HR/130RBI player and not have the supporting cast around him, to get the pitches needed to produce those numbers.

I like Marty, just see his analysis different from mine....and many here. Now, don't make me get out the big bat and thump a few of you....:D

Ah, I'll do it anyway, I'm sure you did something to deserve it....:lol:

Really....:lol:

If he would bat .280-.300 with runner's in scoring position even with his other stats, I think he becomes one of best run producers in MLB and could carry the Reds.

That is what I would like to see from him. I don't care if he cuts his K's or not as long he is a hitting when "ducks are on the pond."

For his career...

2 outs and RISP he's hitting .208

RISP .219

Runner on 2nd .188

Runner on 3rd .217

1st and 3rd .233

2nd and 3rd .250

Bases loaded .230

To me, if he improved on these numbers to a .280-.300 clip he would be a top 5 player in MLB. Defensively, no, but when looking at the top players, defense is not rated nearly as high as offensive stats.

Exhibit A, Barry Bonds.

Exhibit B, Manny Ramirez.

Really....:lol:
I've stated it, a time or two....:D

If he would bat .280-.300 with runner's in scoring position even with his other stats, I think he becomes one of best run producers in MLB and could carry the Reds.

That is what I would like to see from him. I don't care if he cuts his K's or not as long he is a hitting when "ducks are on the pond."

I understand but follow the logic here of a MLB Manager.

Asst. Coach Smith to Mgr...."Dunn is up, should we pitch to him with runners on"....Mgr. reply, "Who is hitting behind him"...."who, let's make him beat us and I doubt he can".....:D

"No, pitch around Dunn and see if we can get him to chase a bad pitch"....

Mgr. to all coaches...."I know Dunn will chase a bad one, since he feels like he must drive in runs, or the fans will get on him"....:D

I've stated it, a time or two....:D

I understand but follow the logic here of a MLB Manager.

Asst. Coach Smith to Mgr...."Dunn is up, should we pitch to him with runners on"....Mgr. reply, "Who is hitting behind him"...."who, let's make him beat us and I doubt he can".....:D

"No, pitch around Dunn and see if we can get him to chase a bad pitch"....

Mgr. to all coaches...."I know Dunn will chase a bad one, since he feels like he must drive in runs, or the fans will get on him"....:D

To support your argument, didn't Dunn have his BEST stretch offensively last year when he was hitting in the 2nd spot with Jr behind him?

To support your argument, didn't Dunn have his BEST stretch offensively last year when he was hitting in the 2nd spot with Jr behind him?
Not sure, did JR play last year....:sssh:

I understand several points, valid arguments and we are all subjective here....but too many instances, BA's, OBP's and SLG's decline not just as a result of the player, but what pitches he sees, who is front/behind in the order.

Now, if they can get some consistency in Dunn's spot in the order, combined with before and after hitters, with a little pop in their bats....Then, his pitches to hit will be better and more representative, of what he can do.

Dunn has weaknesses and I know how, I would pitch him and a lot of that thought process, is before/after hitters.