Mouthpieces

RetiredFan

2 minutes ago, RetiredFan said:

Can someone explain to me why officials have stopped enforcing players to wear their mouthpiece.  Each week I see players with them dangling off their facemask.  Am I out of touch?  Did the rules change?

Fascinating.......I thought this was strictly enforced.  Not good that this is happening.

I think refs sending people out for mouthpieces and knee pads are outdated. Half the mouthpieces are just chewed on and aren’t doing any kind of protection. The knee pads kids wear nowadays look like the tops of dip cans. They’re not doing anything. 

7 minutes ago, DearToday said:

I think refs sending people out for mouthpieces and knee pads are outdated. Half the mouthpieces are just chewed on and aren’t doing any kind of protection. The knee pads kids wear nowadays look like the tops of dip cans. They’re not doing anything. 

A 2019 systematic review and meta-analysis found the prevalence of dental trauma among mouthguard users to be 7.5% to 7.75% compared to 48.31% to 59.98% among non-users, and that mouthguard users were between 82% and 93% less likely to suffer dentofacial injuries.

The American Dental Association research would support their use, but that would include the caveat that they be worn appropriately. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, RedHawk said:

I may just be old, but I cannot stand the " baby pacifier " mouthpieces.  I get other fun ones, but the golden or other pacifiers look absolutely ridiculous to me! 

image.png.dca3a23cfb226c3c370fee3333f6b967.png

You're not the only one.  I will not buy my boys one of these.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, RetiredFan said:

Can someone explain to me why officials have stopped enforcing players to wear their mouthpiece.  Each week I see players with them dangling off their facemask.  Am I out of touch?  Did the rules change?

I promise I’m being serious and not pulling your leg—but this is the new swag these days.

It is not unusual to see a player with a legitimate mouth guard in, and one dangling from their helmet/wedged in it somewhere. 

15 hours ago, JIM SEYMOUR # 85 said:

If I understand the Rule correctly - HC's are required to certify to the Officials prior to the Game - that ALL of their players are legally and properly equipped.

I would assert the Coaching Staff bears responsibility.

We had the discussion about responsibility last week after 3 Dixie players had to leave the game due to lack of pads.  IMO, these kids are old enough to bear the responsibility of being properly equipped as they know what is required.  The coaches shouldn't have to go up and down the sideline checking pads and mouthpieces like they do in peewee football.