Mouthpieces

RetiredFan

21 minutes ago, nees1212 said:

We had the discussion about responsibility last week after 3 Dixie players had to leave the game due to lack of pads.  IMO, these kids are old enough to bear the responsibility of being properly equipped as they know what is required.  The coaches shouldn't have to go up and down the sideline checking pads and mouthpieces like they do in peewee football.

In essence, you're correct, but the step of having coaches certify this before the game is to put it back on the coaches when the need arises. We always asked this question prior to every baseball game I umpired back 20 years ago. So when a kid came up to the plate, got a hit with an illegal bat, the other team challenged the bat, and the appropriate rules were applied, the coach was faced with the fact that he had allowed this to occur. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nees1212 said:

We had the discussion about responsibility last week after 3 Dixie players had to leave the game due to lack of pads.  IMO, these kids are old enough to bear the responsibility of being properly equipped as they know what is required.  The coaches shouldn't have to go up and down the sideline checking pads and mouthpieces like they do in peewee football.

What is the purpose of the Rule then?

They are kids.

Understand there was a JV game a few years ago - where the Visiting team arrived and the players DID NOT HAVE HIP PADS.  The game was not played.  Who is that on ??

6 minutes ago, JIM SEYMOUR # 85 said:

What is the purpose of the Rule then?

They are kids.

Understand there was a JV game a few years ago - where the Visiting team arrived and the players DID NOT HAVE HIP PADS.  The game was not played.  Who is that on ??

Yes, they are kids, but shouldn't they have some basic accountability, something that is severely lacking in today's society?  We're not talking about some obscure rule that kids struggle to understand.  We're talking the most basic of football rules.  

I don’t know about this, but showing up without hip pads is on everyone. Say what they will about coach Schneider but we were fully equipped (to much most times) and we wouldn’t touch the field if found out otherwise. Coaches are in charge from the all star to the water boy. No excuse to allow players to not be fully equipped. Laziness on the coaching staff in that area. 

To be honest, I don’t see a reason for a mouthpiece.  It was useless when I played and it remains so today. I think the thought was that people would knock their teeth out or something. But I never wore one in practice and only wore one in games because it was required. Practice was a lot more dangerous in those days than games. I can report that I still have all my teeth and never had a concussion. 

2 hours ago, Ram said:

To be honest, I don’t see a reason for a mouthpiece.  It was useless when I played and it remains so today. I think the thought was that people would knock their teeth out or something. But I never wore one in practice and only wore one in games because it was required. Practice was a lot more dangerous in those days than games. I can report that I still have all my teeth and never had a concussion. 

Concussions.