Bill Walton has passed

When I first got Sirius satellite radio in 2005, he had a show on the Grateful Dead channel that would air on Saturday night, appropriately called, "One More Saturday Night." It was the coolest thing ever and a big reason I love The Dead.

I am not old enough to witness his basketball play, but from all I've consumed, you could argue he was the greatest college player ever and the ultimate "what if" guy had he not been injured. I was always taken with the reverence he had for John Wooden and the love he had for that man.

6 hours ago, bugatti said:

When I first got Sirius satellite radio in 2005, he had a show on the Grateful Dead channel that would air on Saturday night, appropriately called, "One More Saturday Night." It was the coolest thing ever and a big reason I love The Dead.

I am not old enough to witness his basketball play, but from all I've consumed, you could argue he was the greatest college player ever and the ultimate "what if" guy had he not been injured. I was always taken with the reverence he had for John Wooden and the love he had for that man.

There’s a great bit out there where Walton is talking about the first time he took the Celtics to a Dead concert. 

All except Ainge.  His wife wouldn’t let him go. 

6 hours ago, bugatti said:

I’d say Alcindor, Walton and Laettner, in that order.   Hard to go very wrong with Walton at number one, though. 

8 minutes ago, mcpapa said:

There’s a great bit out there where Walton is talking about the first time he took the Celtics to a Dead concert. 

All except Ainge.  His wife wouldn’t let him go. 

Watched that clip again yesterday. It's awesome.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mcpapa said:

I’d say Alcindor, Walton and Laettner, in that order.   Hard to go very wrong with Walton at number one, though. 

I'd throw Elvin Hayes in that mix as well.   Bill was definitely one of the top 5 college basketball players, ever.  And by all accounts a down to earth dude that realized there were many many things in life more important than basketball.