Is Lou Holtz right?

theguru

Yes.   Lou Holtz can walk that talk because he is a winner over the years with several programs and has seen the evolution of the game of football.  He knows people, is a man of faith and is a great motivator and inspirational speaker.  His books are amazing too.  I have heard him speak several times in person.  I trust he knows what he is talking about on this topic.

• Like 2

I think on one side, he is correct that today's athlete's are much more entitlement minded (examples: NIL, skipping out on your team mates by choosing not to play in a bowl, etc.) but on the other, I don't know if players 50 years ago were as duty minded quite to the degree as he portrays. I think 50 years ago players had a bit more of a "its more about the team than it is about me" mindset than today. Whereas today I think players do not have the same degree of dedication to their team and team mates as they used to.  So to recap, I would say he is correct to a degree.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, nkypete said:

Yes.   Lou Holtz can walk that talk because he is a winner over the years with several programs and has seen the evolution of the game of football.  He knows people, is a man of faith and is a great motivator and inspirational speaker.  His books are amazing too.  I have heard him speak several times in person.  I trust he knows what he is talking about on this topic.

Not saying I disagree with Holtz, just not quite sure how his being a man of faith, great motivator, inspirational speaker and good author gives credence to his assertion of the make up of players over the last half century.  I think someone could have all four of these qualities and being a lousy judge of people over time just as much as a great judge of people.

• Like 1

I agree with Coach Holtz, but not just football. Began my teaching/coaching career in 1970. Things have changed. I like to call it the ESPN effect. Everyone sees themselves on a big stage. Look at the great teams and compare them to the marginal teams..... different attitudes, work habits, expectations, and results. But, as my wife tells me, "You're a dinosaur" lol.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bert said:

Not saying I disagree with Holtz, just not quite sure how his being a man of faith, great motivator, inspirational speaker and good author gives credence to his assertion of the make up of players over the last half century.  I think someone could have all four of these qualities and being a lousy judge of people over time just as much as a great judge of people.

I give him the benefit of the doubt because he has been involved with the game for so long.  I'm sure there are loads of stories of players who have been touched and influenced by Holtz over the years.  Even in his capacity now (retired), I'm sure that he has the opportunity to work with others.  The only thing I would question about the quote above is its context.  It would be wrong to apply such a quote to ALL players.  That simply is not true.  I've been working in high school football for about 15 years now and I've seen kids with great attitudes and work ethics and some without.  But lately, I've seen types and amounts of behavior and attitudes that I never saw 15 years ago.

15 minutes ago, sportsfan41 said:

Like what?

Smart phone and social media to start.  I'm sure glad that everyone walking around when I was in high school was not carrying a video camera and posting all of the stupid stuff I did.  If so, I would be lucky to get a job as a dog catcher.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My assumption is Coach Holtz is trying to make more of a statement about society as a whole, and not college football players. He is referencing the early 70s (50 years ago). Highlighted by the tail end of the protest era, human/environmental rights advocacy, and Woodstock. I am sure he had a glowing view of all of those things at the time. 🙄

Obligations, rights, privileges, responsibilities, etc. All can be shaped to mean whatever you want these terms to mean. Each have their pros and cons, but none of which should be fully dismissed in any era.

I hear what he is saying. But it is nothing more than the typical my generation is tougher than your generation speak. Life evolves. Society evolves. 

• Like 1