Is Lou Holtz right?

theguru

1 minute ago, TheDeuce said:

I’m not necessarily saying it’s older generations fault society is tougher to deal with, although one could make that argument. My point was that if older generations have a problem with how younger generations handle a tougher society, they have no one to blame but themselves. 

I didn't say we live in a tougher society, I agreed that part of society is harder to deal with. That plays completely into what Holtz said, as I view it anyway. 

6 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

You are hearing what you want to hear. I can’t help you there. 

No voices in my head bro.  Still waiting for an explanation of how society is harder for football players now.  You keep putting it off and implying that I'm out of touch with reality. 

3 minutes ago, sportsfan41 said:

No voices in my head bro.  Still waiting for an explanation of how society is harder for football players now.  You keep putting it off and implying that I'm out of touch with reality. 

I’ve already explained it by asking the questions earlier in the thread and you got side tracked.

Social media alone has made it harder for athletes in today’s world. You have to be darn near perfect or you’ll be eaten alive and in many of cases never given a second chance. Before social media and instant access to news, nobody knew that Johnny from Montana broke into a house in high school, and nobody cared. 

Then you throw in the fact that athletes are expected to “shut up and play” when it comes to social issues that may be directly impacting their lives. How dare you speak up on social injustice because your athletic ability earned you a scholarship!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

I’ve already explained it by asking the questions earlier in the thread and you got side tracked.

Social media alone has made it harder for athletes in today’s world. You have to be darn near perfect or you’ll be eaten alive and in many of cases never given a second chance. Before social media and instant access to news, nobody knew that Johnny from Montana broke into a house in high school, and nobody cared. 

I think that's a fair and valid point. 

1 minute ago, TheDeuce said:

So conduct yourself like a public figure by not doing illegal things. And if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all on social media. Gosh that sounds tough. I guess I never thought of how hard that must be. 

1 minute ago, sportsfan41 said:

So conduct yourself like a public figure by not doing illegal things. And if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all on social media. Gosh that sounds tough. I guess I never thought of how hard that must be. 

Oh, you never did anything stupid? Man, must be nice being perfect. Hope that glass is tempered. 

25 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

Oh, you never did anything stupid? Man, must be nice being perfect. Hope that glass is tempered. 

We all have done stupid stuff. But not to the degree you're referring to. I guess morals and ethics are tough, I never really struggled with them after say middle school. I guess I was lucky. 

"In today's society we demand less from children, expect less from them and then we blame them when they make mistakes as adults".  That's a quote from Frank Martin back in 2017.  I think he's spot on.  Society has changed, adults and expectations have changed, but kids are kids.  If they talk about rights & privileges (which I assume is Coach Holtz's way of saying they are selfish and entitled) & don't talk about responsibilities & obligations, it's not because they were born to think that way.  They were taught that at some point or nobody ever tried to correct them.  It's hard to blame kids for skipping out on teammates in bowl games, opting out of seasons, signing NIL deals, etc. & fault them for acting entitled, when the adults in charge, change coaching jobs more frequent than their underwear & sign multi-million dollar deals (even some assistant coaches make 7 figures now a days).

• Like 1

12. No complaining about the web site, its members, or its management on the forums or in public. If you have a complaint (or if you have any constructive criticism) you need to send an email to theguru@fuse.net and I will get back with you as soon as possible to address the issue. When a moderator warns of possible rule violation or makes a request in a thread, do not ignore the warning/request and do not argue. Ignoring a violation warning, ignoring a moderator request or arguing with a moderator over their enforcement of forum rules may result in your suspension.