Is Lou Holtz right?

theguru

37 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

When you messed up as a kid, did you worry about it ending up on CNN?

Did you have social media? And were you bullied via social media?

Did you worry about someone shooting up your school?

Did business owners worry about being cancelled?

To ignore all the challenges that are present today that weren't around 20-30 years ago is either the result of being extremely sheltered, or being dishonest. 

You realize 2001 was 20 years ago right?  Internet was thriving then just as it is now.  Perhaps our kids are more entangled in it now but thats mostly a choice. Columbine which happened in 99 was essentially the kickoff to 24 hour news coverage sadly. 9/11 helped carry that torch and kicked off a decade or more of recruitment Fandom to go fight for your country in the middle east.  Who messes up as a kid and goes on CNN?  I remember guys in my graduating class on there, but I honestly felt they were the exception, not the rule. 

3 minutes ago, sportsfan41 said:

You realize 2001 was 20 years ago right?  Internet was thriving then just as it is now.  Perhaps our kids are more entangled in it now but thats mostly a choice. Columbine which happened in 99 was essentially the kickoff to 24 hour news coverage sadly. 9/11 helped carry that torch and kicked off a decade or more of recruitment Fandom to go fight for your country in the middle east.  Who messes up as a kid and goes on CNN?  I remember guys in my graduating class on there, but I honestly felt they were the exception, not the rule. 

If you think things are the same as they were back then and beyond, I can’t help you. 

9 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

If you think things are the same as they were back then and beyond, I can’t help you. 

How are they worse or more overwhelming?  Help yourself with a legitimate argument. Saying they just are because of the stuff that bothers you, doesn't make it true for today's 18-23 year old men. It just doesn't. 

16 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

It’s all the same thing for the purpose of this discussion. Old people think younger people are worse than them for whatever reason(s), and ignore the fact that they allowed it to happen.

How did we "allow" it to happen? That's a blanket statement, much like saying all young people are soft. I see soft old people and soft young people. I see tough old people and tough young people. Generationally since the beginning of time, society has had things easier overall than earlier generations in my opinion. 

Some of the other things you mention are because of your generation or younger. That's not on older people, lol.  

52 minutes ago, sportsfan41 said:

I appreciate what you're saying PP but I don't see how it applies to life being harder for players now than it was, really any time prior to now.  With the obvious exception of Covid. 

I was speaking more so to how at the end of the post when the poster says it is a reflection of society.    It always chafes me when I hear or see someone complaining about how kids are these days.  It’s a never ending cycle.  Boomers complained about Generation X when I was kid.  We were the lazy ones who were entitled then.   Seems like everyone enjoyed having their rights stomped on back in the day.   

1 minute ago, PurplePride92 said:

I was speaking more so to how at the end of the post when the poster says it is a reflection of society.    It always chafes me when I hear or see someone complaining about how kids are these days.  It’s a never ending cycle.  Boomers complained about Generation X when I was kid.  We were the lazy ones who were entitled then.   Seems like everyone enjoyed having their rights stomped on back in the day.   

Fair enough, I get what you were referring to now. 

8 minutes ago, PurplePride92 said:

Seems like everyone enjoyed having their rights stomped on back in the day.

This is what’s amusing to me… Older generations think just because they shut up and took whatever their older generations gave them that everyone after them is supposed to do the same. We’re not built like that. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Run To State said:

How did we "allow" it to happen? That's a blanket statement, much like saying all young people are soft. I see soft old people and soft young people. I see tough old people and tough young people. Generationally since the beginning of time, society has had things easier overall than earlier generations in my opinion. 

Some of the other things you mention are because of your generation or younger. That's not on older people, lol.  

If by easier you mean more convenient because of technology, sure.

If by easier you mean society is easier to deal with, I couldn’t disagree more. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

But how Deuce, how is it harder for football players age 18-23 to deal with now?  You realize they can make money off their name, image and likeness now?   Is that an added stress now?  What am I missing. 

4 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

We agree on technology, yes. I also agree that society is harder to deal with now. That's part of why I agree with Holtz. I certainly don't see that as the fault of the older generation though. 

4 minutes ago, sportsfan41 said:

But how Deuce, how is it harder for football players age 18-23 to deal with now?  You realize they can make money off their name, image and likeness now?   Is that an added stress now?  What am I missing. 

I am not only talking about football specifically. Football players don’t live in a vacuum. 

12 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

This is what’s amusing to me… Older generations think just because they shut up and took whatever their older generations gave them that everyone after them is supposed to do the same. We’re not built like that. 

There's a difference between respect and abuse. I certainly don't think I was abused. When I felt the need to stand up for myself, I did. 

4 minutes ago, Run To State said:

We agree on technology, yes. I also agree that society is harder to deal with now. That's part of why I agree with Holtz. I certainly don't see that as the fault of the older generation though. 

I’m not necessarily saying it’s older generations fault society is tougher to deal with, although one could make that argument. My point was that if older generations have a problem with how younger generations handle a tougher society, they have no one to blame but themselves.