Is Lou Holtz right?

theguru

On 9/3/2021 at 7:21 AM, 9068 said:

I agree with Coach Holtz, but not just football. Began my teaching/coaching career in 1970. Things have changed. I like to call it the ESPN effect. Everyone sees themselves on a big stage. Look at the great teams and compare them to the marginal teams..... different attitudes, work habits, expectations, and results. But, as my wife tells me, "You're a dinosaur" lol.

What do you think people who began their teaching/coaching career in 1930 said about kids in 1970?

On 9/3/2021 at 3:47 AM, Bert said:

I think on one side, he is correct that today's athlete's are much more entitlement minded (examples: NIL, skipping out on your team mates by choosing not to play in a bowl, etc.) but on the other, I don't know if players 50 years ago were as duty minded quite to the degree as he portrays. I think 50 years ago players had a bit more of a "its more about the team than it is about me" mindset than today. Whereas today I think players do not have the same degree of dedication to their team and team mates as they used to.  So to recap, I would say he is correct to a degree.

I agree with this. 

5 hours ago, gchs_uk9 said:

What do you think people who began their teaching/coaching career in 1930 said about kids in 1970?

Probably similar comments, but remember many of their players went through the depression, served in the military, and fought in WW2. Very different times and circumstances. Also, no social media or cable tv.

I like Lou Holtz. I really do. He reminds me of an alcoholic grandfather or uncle.

He’s out of his element when discussing current topics. 50 years ago, his comments may have had some merit.

I feel like Lou Holtz wishes kids were still wearing leather helmets.

He’s an out of touch dinosaur. Don’t care how religious he is. 

• Like 4

To me today's kids deal with a lot more information available to them than we did 50 years ago ( I graduated HS in 1975). Think of all the things that have been brought to light in this age of information. It can be good and bad. But kids are a lot more informed about what's going on, even if they aren't old enough to understand or how to deal with it in some cases.

From a sports perspective players have a lot more information available to them about recruiting, options and what can be going on. In days gone by schools/coaches held all the cards. Schools and coaches made millions off the players. Players had few options if they found themselves in a bad situation. If there is a change in coaching staff, for example, and the new staff has their own "guys"! Where was their future? Coaches are held accountable, at least a little more today, about what they say to players to get them to come to play for them. Abuses in practices and how they treat their players are out in the open more, and the players have resources available to them to report these abuses. And with social media, these players have information available to them about what they may be getting into in regards to a particular school or coaching staff. They know and communicate with each other.

It's not blind obedience anymore. That goes throughout society. Today's kids have information and options. Can it be abused by the players -- yes. But it's not all bad. Maybe some programs/coaches feel threatened by this. But the honest coaches that run good programs don't seem to be having a problem with this new era