Is Lou Holtz right?

theguru

On 9/4/2021 at 4:55 PM, sportsfan41 said:

Then I would agree to disagree. Society hasn't become increasingly difficult to deal with in the past 10, 20 or even 50 years.   

Just because it hasn’t been harder for you or people like you, doesn’t mean that’s the case for everyone. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheDeuce said:

This is another one of those instances of old people talking about how soft younger people are, and conveniently omitting the fact that the older people are the ones who “allowed” the presumed softness to occur. 

Some truth to that, but not entirely. Not necessarily "softness" either, definitely different and not all things different are inherently good or bad. 

On 9/2/2021 at 5:27 PM, theguru said:

This has been circulating around the Net and I wonder what some of you have to say about this, is Lou Holtz right?lou.jpg

Lou Holtz is right in his world.  He’s wrong in mine.  Everyone lives a different existence.  Those who identify with Lou will agree wholeheartedly.   I could never identify with Lou.  My existence doesn’t allow it.  

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, PurplePride92 said:

For who? 

Anyone. In fact I would lean towards it being easier thanks to technology.  If being constantly connected weighs on people that's a different topic but in my opinion it definitely doesn't make life harder outside of football. 

27 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

This is another one of those instances of old people talking about how soft younger people are, and conveniently omitting the fact that the older people are the ones who “allowed” the presumed softness to occur. 

You can't parent everyone else's child, despite how hard society might ask you to. 

14 minutes ago, sportsfan41 said:

How is it harder for anyone?

Dealing with racism in the 21st century is a nuanced act.  Especially when the same psychological hurdles exist for blacks when it comes to dealing with racism.  My father has more money today than he did growing up but the psychological effects of racism still haunt him the same.  Life success doesn’t necessarily equal easier life.   

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, sportsfan41 said:

How is it harder for anyone?

When you messed up as a kid, did you worry about it ending up on CNN?

Did you have social media? And were you bullied via social media?

Did you worry about someone shooting up your school?

Did business owners worry about being cancelled?

To ignore all the challenges that are present today that weren't around 20-30 years ago is either the result of being extremely sheltered, or being dishonest. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PurplePride92 said:

Dealing with racism in the 21st century is a nuanced act.  Especially when the same psychological hurdles exist for blacks when it comes to dealing with racism.  My father has more money today than he did growing up but the psychological effects of racism still haunt him the same.  Life success doesn’t necessarily equal easier life.   

I appreciate what you're saying PP but I don't see how it applies to life being harder for players now than it was, really any time prior to now.  With the obvious exception of Covid. 

24 minutes ago, Run To State said:

You are the only one in this thread that brought up "softness", so....

It’s all the same thing for the purpose of this discussion. Old people think younger people are worse than them for whatever reason(s), and ignore the fact that they allowed it to happen.