Who do the Bengals take with the #5 pick in the 2021 NFL draft?

Who do the Bengals take with the #5 pick in the 2021 NFL draft?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. What do the Bengals do with pick #5?

• Ja'Marr Chase
    • Penei Sewell
    • Kyle Pitts
    • Other Player (or trade)

Lots of speculation surrounding the pick. With it being draft week and the pick rapidly approaching, who do you think the Bengals will take? You can add in the forum also who you think they will take versus who you think they SHOULD take.

Personally my bet is on Chase.

Ja'Marr Chase Looks Awesome in the Cincinnati Bengals' New Stripes - Sports  Illustrated Cincinnati Bengals News, Analysis and More

I think they go Chase.

I kind of prefer Sewell.

However, I'm not going to be upset with any of those 3 as they all have potential to be day 1 starters and solid NFL players.  Even a trade wouldn't be a bad thing as long as they get a bunch in return and don't drop too far down.

• Like 1

If the O line wasn’t so deep in this draft I’d say Sewell, but I believe they’ll get a really got O lineman with pick #38 so I’ll say take the best WR.  I’ve also heard that Pollack has told the staff that with Reiff the O line can be really good, evidently the rumors that Turner didn’t due much teaching are true!!

I only make a trade if I stay in the top 10. The Bengals need a great player, not 5 new starters. The odds of getting an All Pro level player drop significantly at pick 11 and below. Position depth in the draft is a non factor. I don't care if there are 15 solid OT or WR. Who might be there in round 2 is not a factor. Get the great player. The Bengals have a chance at that great player with the #5 pick. Sewell, Chase and Pitts all have the potential to be that great player so I won't be disappointed with any of them.

However, I consider a great offensive tackle to be second only to QB when it comes to building a playoff winning team. Look at what happened to the Chiefs in this year's Super Bowl with a depleted offensive line and look at the trade they just made for an OT. Look at Bengals history. When they were playoff level and a Super Bowl team, they had a great OT. I go with Sewell. My second choice would be Pitts. Chase would be third. There is more risk of failure at WR. WR has the lowest hit rate for second contracts of any position. I reduce risk of failure and try to get the Bengals next great OT - Sewell is the choice. 

If you ask me who the Bengals will take, I think they go with Chase. 

• Like 1

I went back and looked at the past 5 years of All-Pro players (by the Associated Press), just to see who was drafted where.  And honestly, I've got to say...there's an argument for any of these.

On the O-line, you've got guys like LT - David Bakhtiari (GB) and C - Jason Kelce (Phi) who've been named multiple years from the 4th and 6th rounds.  (Heck, there's even been and UDFA who's made All-Pro.)  But, you've also got LG - Quenton Nelson (Ind) and RG - Zach Martin (Dal) who've done the same thing (multiple years), from the first round.

Same thing on the receiver side...you've got Antonio Brown and Tyreek Hill who've come from the 6th and 5th rounds.  And you've got DeAndre Hopkins and Julio Jones from the first. 

So, all of that being said...I think their choice will be impacted by what Atlanta does (obviously).

- If the Falcons take Pitts...then the Bengals will take Chase.

- If the Falcons are wanting to trade Julio Jones and take Chase...then the Bengals take Pitts.

Just going off the wording being used by the Bengals lately ("impactful", "productive")...I just don't get the feeling that you'd be using those words for describing an offensive lineman.  (Don't ask me what words I would use.  Like I said, it's just a feeling.)

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

I only make a trade if I stay in the top 10. The Bengals need a great player, not 5 new starters. The odds of getting an All Pro level player drop significantly at pick 11 and below. Position depth in the draft is a non factor. I don't care if there are 15 solid OT or WR. Who might be there in round 2 is not a factor. Get the great player. The Bengals have a chance at that great player with the #5 pick. Sewell, Chase and Pitts all have the potential to be that great player so I won't be disappointed with any of them.

However, I consider a great offensive tackle to be second only to QB when it comes to building a playoff winning team. Look at what happened to the Chiefs in this year's Super Bowl with a depleted offensive line and look at the trade they just made for an OT. Look at Bengals history. When they were playoff level and a Super Bowl team, they had a great OT. I go with Sewell. My second choice would be Pitts. Chase would be third. There is more risk of failure at WR. WR has the lowest hit rate for second contracts of any position. I reduce risk of failure and try to get the Bengals next great OT - Sewell is the choice. 

If you ask me who the Bengals will take, I think they go with Chase. 

I would say you can't be over confident in your own evaluation, and trading back to get more pick is almost always the right way to go. 

Everything I have heard, the pick will be Chase. 

With that said I was firmly a Team Sewell guy early on. However, with how deep the OL class is, I have been sold more on possibly waiting until the second round. With that said if you don’t go Sewell, then they need to go BPA. Which IMO that is Pitts. He is a freak and is basically a WR anyways and gives lots of mismatches. Plus you can still get your OL in second round and a deep threat WR later. 

Looking at a couple of mock drafts. The theme of the 1st round seemed to be teams picking offensive linemen because they know they have to protect their quarterback.  Teams are making trades to get offensive linemen.  But the Bengals whose offensive line has been one of the worst in the NFL are going to take a wide receiver.

For all those who claim the Bengals can get a lineman in round 2, the mock drafts I'm looking at say the really good ones might all be gone by the time the Bengals get their 2nd pick.

One other point on this. How have the Bengals done over the last 5 years with their late 1st round and 2nd round offensive line picks? Those guys were all supposed to be starters and none of them are. 

Get the sure bet, potentially great offensive lineman.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Looking at a couple of mock drafts. The theme of the 1st round seemed to be teams picking offensive linemen because they know they have to protect their quarterback.  Teams are making trades to get offensive linemen.  But the Bengals whose offensive line has been one of the worst in the NFL are going to take a wide receiver.

For all those who claim the Bengals can get a lineman in round 2, the mock drafts I'm looking at say the really good ones might all be gone by the time the Bengals get their 2nd pick.

One other point on this. How have the Bengals done over the last 5 years with their late 1st round and 2nd round offensive line picks? Those guys were all supposed to be starters and none of them are. 

Get the sure bet, potentially great offensive lineman.

Agree VoR, I want a lineman. 

• Like 1

I guess my question for the Sewell crowd becomes, what do you think of Reiff? I think he is a starting RT and I think the Bengals will keep him around beyond the 1 year. So why take a OT as your first pick if you are going to have him play guard? The reason I keep seeing the OT's that are available in round 2 is because they have short(er) arms, which is more suited to a move inside to guard. Or even take a center and move Hopkins to Guard. Thoughts?