Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Who do the Bengals take with the #5 pick in the 2021 NFL draft?

Who do the Bengals take with the #5 pick in the 2021 NFL draft? 17 members have voted

  1. 1. What do the Bengals do with pick #5?

    • Ja'Marr Chase
      52%
      9
    • Penei Sewell
      41%
      7
    • Kyle Pitts
      0%
      0
    • Other Player (or trade)
      5%
      1

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

1 hour ago, InsideSlant said:

I guess my question for the Sewell crowd becomes, what do you think of Reiff? I think he is a starting RT and I think the Bengals will keep him around beyond the 1 year. So why take a OT as your first pick if you are going to have him play guard? The reason I keep seeing the OT's that are available in round 2 is because they have short(er) arms, which is more suited to a move inside to guard. Or even take a center and move Hopkins to Guard. Thoughts?

All valid points and questions.  If you (as the Bengals) think highly of Reiff, and that you might have him for the next couple of years, do you go with someone like Slater (who some "experts" have ranked higher than Sewell) who's proven to be more versatile?  You could start him at guard and move him out to tackle once you move on from Reiff.

I've seen a couple of mocks that have the Bengals taking Chase/Pitts in round 1, and the tackle from Bama (Alex Leatherwood) in the 2nd.  Then there's been others that have them taking Sewell/Slater in the first, and LSU receiver Terrace Marshall, Jr. in the second.

In all honesty, I'd be fine with either of these scenarios.  I know Burrow has been pushing for Chase, and with that second scenario you'd still be able to somewhat appease him with a former teammate.

  • Replies 94
  • Views 14k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see that scar on Joe Burrows knee.  How can I possibly pick anything but an Offensive lineman?  

3 hours ago, InsideSlant said:

I guess my question for the Sewell crowd becomes, what do you think of Reiff? I think he is a starting RT and I think the Bengals will keep him around beyond the 1 year. So why take a OT as your first pick if you are going to have him play guard? The reason I keep seeing the OT's that are available in round 2 is because they have short(er) arms, which is more suited to a move inside to guard. Or even take a center and move Hopkins to Guard. Thoughts?

He’s on the wrong side of 30 and has missed games I think.  I guess for me it’s do we want a 2 year fix, or a 10 year?  

3 hours ago, John Anthony said:

He’s on the wrong side of 30 and has missed games I think.  I guess for me it’s do we want a 2 year fix, or a 10 year?  

This is the crux of the matter. They gave Reiff a one year contract. That is not an endorsement of Reiff as a solution. That is short term insurance. Williams has played 10 games in two seasons. This is what we are building the future on?

This is a good thread.

For me, if Burrow is all that (and I believe he is) give him an offensive line and everything else will work out. 

Who Dey!!

9 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

Looking at a couple of mock drafts. The theme of the 1st round seemed to be teams picking offensive linemen because they know they have to protect their quarterback.  Teams are making trades to get offensive linemen.  But the Bengals whose offensive line has been one of the worst in the NFL are going to take a wide receiver.

 For all those who claim the Bengals can get a lineman in round 2, the mock drafts I'm looking at say the really good ones might all be gone by the time the Bengals get their 2nd pick.

 One other point on this. How have the Bengals done over the last 5 years with their late 1st round and 2nd round offensive line picks? Those guys were all supposed to be starters and none of them are. 

Get the sure bet, potentially great offensive lineman.

There is no such thing as a sure bet offensive lineman imo.  At number 5 you take best available.  Mock drafts are just that.  Outside of number 1 pick, nobody really knows what will be happening.

51 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

This is the crux of the matter. They gave Reiff a one year contract. That is not an endorsement of Reiff as a solution. That is short term insurance. Williams has played 10 games in two seasons. This is what we are building the future on?

Wasn’t Williams one of those cannot miss type guys along with Billy Price and Cedric Ogbueyi? 

15 minutes ago, Jack of all Trades said:

Wasn’t Williams one of those cannot miss type guys along with Billy Price and Cedric Ogbueyi? 

Examples of why waiting till round 2 to draft a lineman has a higher risk of failure. Take the round 2 risk at WR and go for the higher odds of success in round 1, #5 at offensive line.

1 hour ago, Jack of all Trades said:

Wasn’t Williams one of those cannot miss type guys along with Billy Price and Cedric Ogbueyi? 

Billy Price and Ced were never tagged as cant miss guys. Price was thought of as a guy that may even fall to the second round. A lot of people didn’t even have Ced rated as a first round lineman. They reached for them both. Williams I believe was the first lineman taken in his draft, and while not great he has been solid. This year they once again would have a chance to pick who they believe is the very best, and not have to settle or reach for a guy to fill a need like they did with Price. 

10 hours ago, Jack of all Trades said:

There is no such thing as a sure bet offensive lineman imo.  At number 5 you take best available.  Mock drafts are just that.  Outside of number 1 pick, nobody really knows what will be happening.

Another thought. Statistically the riskiest position to draft in the first round is WR. WR picked in the 1st round have the one of the lowest success rates of pro bowl players of any other position.

28 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Another thought. Statistically the riskiest position to draft in the first round is WR. WR picked in the 1st round have the one of the lowest success rates of pro bowl players of any other position.

I am not disagreeing with that.  My choice is Pitts because he provides something they don’t have.  I do not want an OL that did not play last year.  Injury waiting to happen.

18 minutes ago, Jack of all Trades said:

I am not disagreeing with that.  My choice is Pitts because he provides something they don’t have.  I do not want an OL that did not play last year.  Injury waiting to happen.

I am with you on Pitts over Chase. But, all indications are Pitts will be picked by Atlanta. 

Chase did not play last year either.

So, what should we make of Burrow pushing for Chase?

- Is it just a simple matter of former teammate allegiance?  Trying, perhaps, to ensure Chase is a higher pick than either one of the Bama receivers?

- Comfortability.  Feels the learning curve between the two would be drastically shortened, allowing for a greater/more immediate impact on the field.

- Not overly thrilled with the prospect of Auden Tate being the guy to fill AJ Green's shoes

- Thinks the Bengals have already addressed his O-line concerns, and/or will be able to do that with picks from later rounds.

- Doesn't want to point out anyone specific on the O-line as the issue

- A combination of two or more of the above?

1 hour ago, CincySportsFan said:

So, what should we make of Burrow pushing for Chase?

- Is it just a simple matter of former teammate allegiance?  Trying, perhaps, to ensure Chase is a higher pick than either one of the Bama receivers?

- Comfortability.  Feels the learning curve between the two would be drastically shortened, allowing for a greater/more immediate impact on the field.

- Not overly thrilled with the prospect of Auden Tate being the guy to fill AJ Green's shoes

- Thinks the Bengals have already addressed his O-line concerns, and/or will be able to do that with picks from later rounds.

- Doesn't want to point out anyone specific on the O-line as the issue

- A combination of two or more of the above?

Has Burrow publicly stated he wants Chase?

Regardless, I am not sure how much a factor that is because of the teammate loyalty factor you mentioned.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.