Open Job: Highlands

theguru

I remember someone mentioning Coach Jamie Reed of South Oldham applying and interviewing for this job. Did anything ever come of that? I don’t believe Reed ever had a losing season at SO. Essentially built the program from the ground up. Even had some solid playoff success with two semi final appearances.

9 minutes ago, BBN_34 said:

I remember someone mentioning Coach Jamie Reed of South Oldham applying and interviewing for this job. Did anything ever come of that? I don’t believe Reed ever had a losing season at SO. Essentially built the program from the ground up. Even had some solid playoff success with two semi final appearances.

I don’t know if he applied or interviewed but if he did he appears to be over it. Currently it looks like he is full steam ahead at SO. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BBN_34 said:

I don't want to discredit what Reed has accomplished at SO, but if a few semi-final appearances and never having a losing season is the Highlands coaching threshold, Weinrich would've still been the head coach. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, OldCamelNewBird said:

I don't want to discredit what Reed has accomplished at SO, but if a few semi-final appearances and never having a losing season is the Highlands coaching threshold, Weinrich would've still been the head coach. 

I have to say that’s some flawed logic. That’s acting like ever coaching job is equal and it’s not. There are schools it is easier to win at and progress in the playoffs than other schools. That road can be made easier or harder by any number of factors. I guess no 6A coach need apply because unless your Male or T you’re more than likely not making it out of the semifinals and there are other classes that are just as bad. 

You take the top coaches in the state. We can come up with a very large list of schools they could be in charge of and just winning a district game or two would be a huge accomplishment. Now those coaches don’t get their staff. They only get what the current coaching has. No in school weights? Well deal with it. Teach a full load? Deal with it. Low numbers or not the most athletic gifted student population? Deal with it. 

The HC at St X now had a losing record as a HC before he was hired at Bowling Green. 

Would you hire a guy with 10+ years as on OC. Coached in two state titles. Winning one. Only 3 years experience as a HC and in those three years never making it to a state title game. Would you hire him based on that information? Right now it sounds like a no because BW had a better stat line. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, barrel said:

I have to say that’s some flawed logic. That’s acting like ever coaching job is equal and it’s not. There are schools it is easier to win at and progress in the playoffs than other schools. That road can be made easier or harder by any number of factors. I guess no 6A coach need apply because unless your Male or T you’re more than likely not making it out of the semifinals and there are other classes that are just as bad. 

You take the top coaches in the state. We can come up with a very large list of schools they could be in charge of and just winning a district game or two would be a huge accomplishment. Now those coaches don’t get their staff. They only get what the current coaching has. No in school weights? Well deal with it. Teach a full load? Deal with it. Low numbers or not the most athletic gifted student population? Deal with it. 

The HC at St X now had a losing record as a HC before he was hired at Bowling Green. 

Would you hire a guy with 10+ years as on OC. Coached in two state titles. Winning one. Only 3 years experience as a HC and in those three years never making it to a state title game. Would you hire him based on that information? Right now it sounds like a no because BW had a better stat line. 

I was good right up until the last part where you said, "Only 3 years experience as a HC and never made it to the state title game." I don't want to oversimplify what I'm trying to get across here, but I just don't see how making it to the semifinals is much different than what Highlands already had. If we're going to push a guy out, we should try to replace him with an improvement, not someone who is merely  satisfactory. 

2 minutes ago, OldCamelNewBird said:

I was good right up until the last part where you said, "Only 3 years experience as a HC and never made it to the state title game." I don't want to oversimplify what I'm trying to get across here, but I just don't see how making it to the semifinals is much different than what Highlands already had. If we're going to push a guy out, we should try to replace him with an improvement, not someone who is merely  satisfactory. 

I don't disagree, but that's not going to happen.  

Way back in this thread, or maybe amongst friends on here in a text I made the comment of "I have a feeling that who Highlands expects to get and who they actually get are going to be two very different things."

I still stand by that. 

As myself, @barrel and others attested to in the other threads going on about FTH...Good coaches at high profile programs (state title winning) don't leave for other high profile jobs (unless the money situation/overall working environment is just better).

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, barrel said:

That was Coach Beatty’s resume before Trinity hired him. I’m just saying that you have to look at more than what’s on paper and really look at what someone has accomplished. 

And Beatty was the runner up chpice when Trinity hired him, for those who say it is a negative for Highlands to hire the runner up choice.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Harry Doyle said:

I don't disagree, but that's not going to happen.  

Way back in this thread, or maybe amongst friends on here in a text I made the comment of "I have a feeling that who Highlands expects to get and who they actually get are going to be two very different things."

I still stand by that. 

As myself, @barrel and others attested to in the other threads going on about FTH...Good coaches at high profile programs (state title winning) don't leave for other high profile jobs (unless the money situation/overall working environment is just better).

Great points and I completely agree. I'd still like to see one of our own (that being a Highlands or Ft. Thomas guy) taking the reins and staying a while. As I've mentioned before, Coach Bathiany is the horse I'm pulling for in that respect. Home-grown Ft. Thomas/Highlands guy with family history in town and solid success coaching at the collegiate level (DII and DIII).

Edited by OldCamelNewBird
spelling
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, OldCamelNewBird said:

Would you hire a coach with 9 years head coaching experience and a 59-31 record, but has never qualified for the playoffs? The coach has an 11-19 record the past 3 years.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OldCamelNewBird said:

Great points and I completely agree. I'd still like to see one of our own (that being a Highlands or Ft. Thomas guy) taking the reins and staying a while. As I've mentioned before, Coach Bathiany is the horse I'm pulling for in that respect. Home-grown Ft. Thomas/Highlands guy with family history in town and solid success coaching at the collegiate level (DII and DIII).

Bert Bathiany sounds like a head coach's name.

• Like 4

On 1/12/2021 at 5:36 PM, theguru said:

I am not saying you guys are wrong but I have had more than one person tell me Highlands is already talking to Wolfe again and offering him more money.  Maybe it is just rumor, who knows...

I don't know how schools can do that. Teaching salaries and coaching stipends are usually set up at the district level. Its not like college where you negotiate a contract. Usually the football coach and varsity basketball coaches make about the same money. Boosters can't just pay a little extra on the side. 

But hey, there are always loopholes.