Open Job: Highlands

theguru

2 minutes ago, futurecoach said:

So why would a ton more decide to apply next year, if they didn’t want to apply this year? What would change in a year, that would make so many new ones want to apply, that didn’t already apply for this year? 

Multiple people applied.  If I read correctly, James was the second choice.  You think they should try to beg 3-6 who they told no before hiring James?  I think they should take their time and get it right.  Maybe somebody will emerge out of nowhere, but this is a 5 year commitment, the margin for error is miniscule. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, John Anthony said:

Multiple people applied.  If I read correctly, James was the second choice.  You think they should try to beg 3-6 who they told no before hiring James?  I think they should take their time and get it right.  Maybe somebody will emerge out of nowhere, but this is a 5 year commitment, the margin for error is miniscule. 

My point is that it is doubtful that a ton more brand new people will apply next year, who didn’t already apply this year. I agree they need to take their time right now, and not rush. I’m just pointing out that it will most likely be the same people who applied this year, that would apply next year. Not much is going to change in a year, to make a person who didn’t apply this year. All of a sudden decide that they would next year though. You’re basically going to have the same pool of candidates next year that apply. The only difference is, you would be wasting a year of them not being able to get their foot in the door, and installing their systems now. 

• Like 2

Asking b/c I don't know but when would Spring practice typically occur?  Not having a coach today/this week what are the players missing other than that coach overseeing strength/conditioning workouts.  Maybe allowing the players to study playbook and understanding coaching philosophy on what the future season looks like.  I know Wes initially stated he wanted a coach by Jan 1....but with James backing out when does it become a decision where picking someone/anyone is better than waiting for the right one.  Can anyone honestly put a good date out there where that statement holds true?  Is it Feb 1st?  Mar 1st?  

11 hours ago, John Anthony said:

I think a ton more would happen.  Jobs always open, they could look further into Ohio. Caldwell, calling all the people he told no before hiring James isn’t working out at the moment.

Coming from OH might be a hard sell. You typically make more money teaching in OH. I mean in a number of cases significantly more money. If you’ve been teaching/coaching in OH up to a point then you get into retirement and how that would be affected. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, barrel said:

Coming from OH might be a hard sell. You typically make more money teaching in OH. I mean in a number of cases significantly more money. If you’ve been teaching/coaching in OH up to a point then you get into retirement and how that would be affected. 

That’s true I’m hoping one of the flashy young assistants over here would be interested and see the long term value in it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, John Anthony said:

That’s true I’m hoping one of the flashy young assistants over here would be interested and see the long term value in it.

That I could possibly see. Flashy young assistant means little to no HC experience which might prevent him from getting the job in the first place. 

2 hours ago, barrel said:

That I could possibly see. Flashy young assistant means little to no HC experience which might prevent him from getting the job in the first place. 

Well if they can’t aim high, what’s next?  Try to lure Bryson Warner away from Boone by showing him property values in Ft. Thomas?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, John Anthony said:

Well if they can’t aim high, what’s next?  Try to lure Bryson Warner away from Boone by showing him property values in Ft. Thomas?

I don’t think you have to aim low. You might have to think outside the box or some might have to look past some blinders. I think you have a great idea of finding a coordinator. The question is who has the connections to locate one? Another option is finding someone that has been able to win due to limited talent/resources. I think both ideas could work but I think the second might be a tougher sell. 

Funny you mentioned Coach Warner. I had a discussion with someone about the job. It feels like pretty much no one in NKY wants to go near it. I’ve got guesses why. The person brought up Warner and I thought there is no way that would work for a number of reasons. I know you weren’t serious about him. It just reminded me of the conversation. 

Most people think the progression is OC or DC to head coach. The best progression is from freshman/JV coach to head coach. You already know how to run your own program. It depends on the setup, but at Paris, Mason County, & Mercer County, our freshman coach ran the program. Same offensive & defensive system, but handled logistics, personnel, practice schedules, accountability, communicating with parents, etc. 

In the 21st century, the freshman coach is bigger than the OC or DC. If you don't have a good one, the OC and DC won't have players to coach. Your frosh coach these days needs to be a rock star.... like Larry Harris (Mason County) or William Harris (Mercer County)! 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, ChiefSmoke said:

Most people think the progression is OC or DC to head coach. The best progression is from freshman/JV coach to head coach. You already know how to run your own program. It depends on the setup, but at Paris, Mason County, & Mercer County, our freshman coach ran the program. Same offensive & defensive system, but handled logistics, personnel, practice schedules, accountability, communicating with parents, etc. 

In the 21st century, the freshman coach is bigger than the OC or DC. If you don't have a good one, the OC and DC won't have players to coach. Your frosh coach these days needs to be a rock star.... like Larry Harris (Mason County) or William Harris (Mercer County)! 

My understanding is that the HHS fresh coach on committee and I am certain that the position will not be an inside hire.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bird Bath said:

My understanding is that the HHS fresh coach on committee and I am certain that the position will not be an inside hire.  

My current AD, Donald Smith, set the world on fire when he coached the Dunbar freshman team. Lafayette went after him and he became their head coach. A few years later, he was the head coach at KY State University. There may be a great coach close by. It takes work to find them when they are coaching freshman football.

I found out later, I was being evaluated as a head coach candidate when I coached my freshmen team. 

• Like 3