Open Job: Highlands

theguru

4 minutes ago, Bill W. said:

I like to see Brady Dowling , the Freshman head coach apply. Hes done very well. 

He has but let’s put on the brakes.  Not ready for varsity plus he missed on a few position players that if not had relationships with other coaches would have left program.  So IMO that would be no.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ChiefSmoke said:

Most people think the progression is OC or DC to head coach. The best progression is from freshman/JV coach to head coach. You already know how to run your own program. It depends on the setup, but at Paris, Mason County, & Mercer County, our freshman coach ran the program. Same offensive & defensive system, but handled logistics, personnel, practice schedules, accountability, communicating with parents, etc. 

In the 21st century, the freshman coach is bigger than the OC or DC. If you don't have a good one, the OC and DC won't have players to coach. Your frosh coach these days needs to be a rock star.... like Larry Harris (Mason County) or William Harris (Mercer County)! 

Excellent post. Like I've said, sometimes the answer is right in front of you.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ChiefSmoke said:

Most people think the progression is OC or DC to head coach. The best progression is from freshman/JV coach to head coach. You already know how to run your own program. It depends on the setup, but at Paris, Mason County, & Mercer County, our freshman coach ran the program. Same offensive & defensive system, but handled logistics, personnel, practice schedules, accountability, communicating with parents, etc. 

In the 21st century, the freshman coach is bigger than the OC or DC. If you don't have a good one, the OC and DC won't have players to coach. Your frosh coach these days needs to be a rock star.... like Larry Harris (Mason County) or William Harris (Mercer County)! 

Back in the 80s when I coached at Beechwood that is exactly how the program was run.  The freshman football team was totally independent in every way with its own head coach and coordinators on each side of the ball. I definitely agree freshman football (and JV if you have the numbers) are great places to build bench strength in a football program.

And if you want to take it next level, I remember being at a Moeller (OH) football practice once observing how the "big boys" do things. It was the playoffs and the 1st and 2nd team offense was on one field going against the 3rd team defense and the 1st and 2nd team defense was on another field going against the 3rd team offense.  All this time the JV offense (skilled players) were inside studying film of the playoff opponent and came out half way through practice and ran all the upcoming opponent's pass plays against the 1st team defense.   

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ChiefSmoke said:

Very good point! I completely agree!

• Like 1

I agree that Frosh/JV HC better prepared you for being a HC. The problem is most people doing the hiring don’t see it that way. Also with numbers being lower in certain areas and resources some teams just don’t have dedicated lower level teams.  Less freshman games and more froshmore type games past some schools. 

For all the advantages that people think of with Trinity it’s bodies and the size of the staff that might be the two biggest advantages. If you look at teams that have had success and/or continue to have success I would venture to say they have those advantages too. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, theguru said:

Back in the 80s when I coached at Beechwood that is exactly how the program was run.  The freshman football team was totally independent in every way with its own head coach and coordinators on each side of the ball. I definitely agree freshman football (and JV if you have the numbers) are great places to build bench strength in a football program.

And if you want to take it next level, I remember being at a Moeller (OH) football practice once observing how the "big boys" do things. It was the playoffs and the 1st and 2nd team offense was on one field going against the 3rd team defense and the 1st and 2nd team defense was on another field going against the 3rd team offense.  All this time the JV offense (skilled players) were inside studying film of the playoff opponent and came out half way through practice and ran all the upcoming opponent's pass plays against the 1st team defense.   

You didn’t have to go all the way to Cincinnati to see this. You could have just come to Ft Thomas and seen the same thing. 

The JV use to take a lot of pride in beating the 1s. 

1 hour ago, Sweeperboy said:

You didn’t have to go all the way to Cincinnati to see this. You could have just come to Ft Thomas and seen the same thing. 

The JV use to take a lot of pride in beating the 1s. 

I doubt it and I can assure you the JV wasn't beating the ones at Moeller. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

So strange, I haven't heard anything on this. I feel like they really only have a couple weeks until they need to have a decision. If not they should get coach Turner or someone to be interim head coach to take care of the coaching duties at this time. Isn't now the time to schedule games and coordinate 7 on 7s and things of that nature? Also 60 mins should be in full swing right now.

9 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

So strange, I haven't heard anything on this. I feel like they really only have a couple weeks until they need to have a decision. If not they should get coach Turner or someone to be interim head coach to take care of the coaching duties at this time. Isn't now the time to schedule games and coordinate 7 on 7s and things of that nature? Also 60 mins should be in full swing right now.

Schedule is already done, just not released?  Didn’t AD tell players to find a place to workout until 2/15?  This just so happens to be the official start date of baseball and softball I believe.  

6 hours ago, El Diablo said:

Actually this probably is a great concern for the Seniors to be as they want to have the best opportunity as possible and get started.

However, it is my opinion that Highlands should take as long as necessary to assure we are set for many years to come not just this year coming. And if this is at the expense of even another month then so be it. Obviously easy for me to say because I have nobody playing but I can assure you that we will be better off as a program. 

Remember, some experts say that this will take several years to fix and heck it may never be fixed.

I am going on record to say that in 2 yrs on a Monday or Tuesday  this will be fixed.

• Like 1