Will there be high school football this fall?

Tkinslow

36 minutes ago, NKYRaider said:

Much needed time and hopefully less fear and concern about the virus.  As we've already seen in a couple days of practice, the current climate doesn't have the stomach to accept a few cases.  Too many factors at play that will shut down and/or make a complete mess of any contact sports season in the fall.

I don't think that will be a whole lot different in the spring, but I sure hope you're right. 

13 minutes ago, NKYRaider said:

Again, what evidence is there that proves playing a shortened season in the spring and a regular season in the fall impacts safety. What's the logic there? 

I think we all agree that football has it's assumed risks and dangers, right? How can playing twice as much football in one calendar year not be more "dangerous?" Wear and tear, time for injuries to heal, etc all takes a hit if you play in the spring. 

We can point to several reasons as to why we should play in the spring, safety isn't one of them IMO.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

I think we all agree that football has it's assumed risks and dangers, right? How can playing twice as much football in one calendar year not be more "dangerous?" Wear and tear, time for injuries to heal, etc all takes a hit if you play in the spring. 

We can point to several reasons as to why we should play in the spring, safety isn't one of them IMO.

I made a point to state safety isn't a reason (at least for me) in a previous post. I agree there are risks, but aren't there risks in all sports?  What about kids that play football, wrestling, lacrosse back to back to back?  I've never heard an outcry for kids that go through that gauntlet which seems much tougher than what a spring/fall combo would look like.  

Here's a small school problem.  Teachers (those who create lesson plans, grade papers, teach, etc) who also coach fall sports AND double up and sometimes coach spring sports now have a problem in having to be in multiple places at the same time.  

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, nkypete said:

Here's a small school problem.  Teachers (those who create lesson plans, grade papers, teach, etc) who also coach fall sports AND double up and sometimes coach spring sports now have a problem in having to be in multiple places at the same time.  

The adjusted schedules other states are using have very little overlap on sports. They just have almost no time in between seasons. I understand your point but I don't think that would be a huge deal. (There are other parts of fall-in-the-spring that would be huge deals!)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

I don't think that will be a whole lot different in the spring, but I sure hope you're right. 

Agreed. We need to push through now as is. Nothing will change in the spring. Follow guidelines, quarantine positives, and let’s get these kids what they have been working so hard for and deserve. We can do this!!

• Like 4

The plan is to play football in the fall and I believe that is the best plan for kids in all sports. Getting back on schedule is best for all student-athletes. Even if we pause our football season in the fall then start back to finish.... that is better than the disruption playing in the spring would be. We would still be dealing with the negatives in the fall of 2021.

• Like 5

On 8/25/2020 at 3:10 PM, Sportslover32 said:

So like the Lawrence County situation if one player or coach test positive does that mean the whole team has to quarantine for two weeks every time? If that is the case I am not sure how that is plausible because there will be some positive tests on different teams throughout the state if not all. I don't see how a full season would be even close to possible. 

Fleming Co had a positive case and they isolated the person, did some testing and continued on.  No mass quarantine.  So it can be done if you have proper protocols in place before hand.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, maysvilleky said:

Fleming Co had a positive case and they isolated the person, did some testing and continued on.  No mass quarantine.  So it can be done if you have proper protocols in place before hand.

I have heard of several different high schools handling a positive case in similar ways. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, maysvilleky said:

Exactly how we are doing it at work and have managed to keep 6,000 people employed and will likely have the best financial year in the Company’s history. A lot of bonus’ for people that need and deserve them. Take that COVID and the naysayers against allowing people to make a living OR play sports. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Tigerpride94 said:

It’s been announced that KDE has scheduled meeting Friday and on agenda is option to have KHSAA consider other options for fall sports including possible cancelling.

You would think they have been consulted with by KHSAA so I don’t get the sudden meeting.

3 minutes ago, Tigerpride94 said:

It’s been announced that KDE has scheduled meeting Friday and on agenda is option to have KHSAA consider other options for fall sports including possible cancelling.

Wherever anyone stands on playing versus not playing this fall, the way these high school kids have been treated is not right IMO.  They followed protocols, had their season delayed, then KHSAA says they can play and now just when they finally get a chance to practice they have to wait nervously until Friday to see if they can proceed.  I think they should be able to play but I can also see the arguments against it.  But I hate seeing these kids getting treated like this.

• Like 1