Will there be high school football this fall?

Tkinslow

5 hours ago, Unrivaled97 said:

Yet somehow states like Indiana, Ohio and Tennessee are pulling it off, but Kentucky can't.

My dad lives in Tennessee and said Saturday morning was like normal with the news carrying all the Friday night high school games. He said it was wonderful, normalcy. 

Boy, a lot of I told you so guys in this crowd lol. To think there would be no positive tests is insane. You will have teams cancel games and schedule games on the fly. Its the nature of 2020. 

Those play in spring guys have no clue. You want to play a season & a half of football in the same calendar year and are preaching safety? Hilarious. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tigerpride94 said:

For advocates of playing spring, I think by playing in fall and getting some games in means would have to play less games in spring if fall season were to get cancelled. So if get fall season in great. If not, then finish in spring.

If we get started, I don’t think finishing in the spring is really an option.  That would put too much pressure on spring sports who have already lost one season. Again, I think if Spring were truly an option at this point, we would have already had to have made the decision to play in the spring, as other states have already done, and have already moved on from fall.

24 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

If we get started, I don’t think finishing in the spring is really an option.  That would put too much pressure on spring sports who have already lost one season. Again, I think if Spring were truly an option at this point, we would have already had to have made the decision to play in the spring, as other states have already done, and have already moved on from fall.

It’s Fall or nothing. As seen in other states, if you have to quarantine then you cancel/no contest. The teams with the most discipline off the field may end up being the state champions. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NKYRaider said:

I haven’t heard any plans of finishing football in the spring if it gets cancelled in the fall. Is that even an option?

I know there were major concerns with interfering with spring sports due to overlapping athletes in addition to spring sports getting cancelled last year.

It seems we’re now boxed in with the fall unless something drastically changes in the next couple of days.

No plans that I know of, but if cancelled in middle of season there will be a lobby to complete in spring, in my opinion.

7 hours ago, Tigerpride94 said:

No plans that I know of, but if cancelled in middle of season there will be a lobby to complete in spring, in my opinion.

I hope you’re right, but I’m of the opinion if it doesn’t get discussed and planned out before the fall season, it’s highly unlikely it will get done. A lot of moving parts to make that happen.

As mentioned, spring sports already lost a full season this year. A reboot in the spring would certainly interfere with those sports again. Not sure our state would go for that. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WKY_Football said:

Boy, a lot of I told you so guys in this crowd lol. To think there would be no positive tests is insane. You will have teams cancel games and schedule games on the fly. Its the nature of 2020. 

Those play in spring guys have no clue. You want to play a season & a half of football in the same calendar year and are preaching safety? Hilarious. 

For me, moving to the spring has nothing to do with safety and/or cases. It has everything to do with increasing the likelihood that football starts and finishes.

But since you brought it up, what evidence do you have that supports having a shortened spring season with a fall season (that could be shortened or pushed back as well) is “unsafe”? If that was the case, why do we allow kids to play multiple contact sports year round? A full season of football and wrestling back to back is very taxing on the body, but we’ve accepted that since both became a sport. 

Also, I’ve seen plenty of youth/ms aged kids that have played 20+ games a season. Happens all the time now with post season tournaments. 

47 minutes ago, NKYRaider said:

For me, moving to the spring has nothing to do with safety and/or cases. It has everything to do with increasing the likelihood that football starts and finishes.

But since you brought it up, what evidence do you have that supports having a shortened spring season with a fall season (that could be shortened or pushed back as well) is “unsafe”? If that was the case, why do we allow kids to play multiple contact sports year round? A full season of football and wrestling back to back is very taxing on the body, but we’ve accepted that since both became a sport. 

Also, I’ve seen plenty of youth/ms aged kids that have played 20+ games a season. Happens all the time now with post season tournaments. 

The “sandwich” plan some states are doing could work.  Moving fall sports in between winter and spring (playing football mid feb-early April) with all doing abbreviated seasons seems safe, especially if you move back the start of next fall to Early-mid August (which should be done anyway). 4 months of rest after a shortened season should be fine.

1 hour ago, rjs4470 said:

The “sandwich” plan some states are doing could work.  Moving fall sports in between winter and spring (playing football mid feb-early April) with all doing abbreviated seasons seems safe, especially if you move back the start of next fall to Early-mid August (which should be done anyway). 4 months of rest after a shortened season should be fine.

Have you seen the condition of most public school fields during this time of year in Kentucky?  I sure have.  I'm a lacrosse dad and they suck.  I can't imagine football playing and practicing on them during that time of year.  They would get to be unplayable unless you had turf and only a few have that.

I'm not trying to be a know it all wet blanket, but there are MANY more issues to this than the ones you think of on the surface.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, WKY_Football said:

You want to play a season & a half of football in the same calendar year and are preaching safety? Hilarious. 

Exactly. Playing in the spring impacts two seasons, not one. And you certainly can't preach safety moving football to the spring. 

46 minutes ago, Purple88 said:

Have you seen the condition of most public school fields during this time of year in Kentucky?  I sure have.  I'm a lacrosse dad and they suck.  I can't imagine football playing and practicing on them during that time of year.  They would get to be unplayable unless you had turf and only a few have that.

I'm not trying to be a know it all wet blanket, but there are MANY more issues to this than the ones you think of on the surface.

I don't disagree, and I've mentioned this exact issue before myself. This is especially true of bluegrass fields which will still be dormant at that time. I'm also not a big fan of playing football in the early spring. But people were asking about backup plans/other options, should it prove impossible to play in the fall. At this point, any option (including starting this week) will have some downsides and potential problems. A solution with problems, is better than simply not playing.

25 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

Exactly. Playing in the spring impacts two seasons, not one. And you certainly can't preach safety moving football to the spring. 

That's why I'm hoping we can make things work now. One of the side benefits would be that we could prove we don't need to start football practice before the middle of July.

59 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

But what is going to be different in the spring?

Much needed time and hopefully less fear and concern about the virus.  As we've already seen in a couple days of practice, the current climate doesn't have the stomach to accept a few cases.  Too many factors at play that will shut down and/or make a complete mess of any contact sports season in the fall.

1 hour ago, TheDeuce said:

Again, what evidence is there that proves playing a shortened season in the spring and a regular season in the fall impacts safety. What's the logic there? 

I believe a full season in the fall that followed a shortened season in the spring would be perfectly OK, but we would still have an option to cut games or push back a month if needed.  Seems like a better alternative than what we're faced with now.