Will there be high school football this fall?

Tkinslow

11 minutes ago, gchs_uk9 said:

JCPS was a vote to delay tonight until they can organize their objections and maybe restrict sports more or shut it all down. 

What am I missing here?

JCPS placed additional restrictions on their schools for fall sports and they are going to meet again next week to discuss it further.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Unrivaled97 said:

I just wish JCPS had the common courtesy to understand that their decision affects more than just their schools.

Also people need to understand that JCPS is dealing with a tough situation as their area has been hit harder than most by COVID.  They have to be sure they can do things safely, as they not only want to limit the possible spread within JCPS, but also to other schools they may be playing. This stuff isn’t easy.

• Like 1

The silly part to me is if the private schools still play don’t those kids go out in the city to or just the public schools come on how can you say public can’t play real good kids will just transfer to the private schools and the talent difference will grow bigger than it already is.

29 minutes ago, Tkinslow said:

The silly part to me is if the private schools still play don’t those kids go out in the city to or just the public schools come on how can you say public can’t play real good kids will just transfer to the private schools and the talent difference will grow bigger than it already is.

Nobody is going to be able to transfer and play this year. So unless you think this will be an ongoing issue, I don't think there will be a mass exodus to private schools. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

Nobody is going to be able to transfer and play this year. So unless you think this will be an ongoing issue, I don't think there will be a mass exodus to private schools. 

And not everybody has the means or ability to transfer and pay $10k+ to go to school, and maybe get to play sports. While there certainly may be a few, it’s just simply not an option for everyone.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rjs4470 said:

Also people need to understand that JCPS is dealing with a tough situation as their area has been hit harder than most by COVID.  They have to be sure they can do things safely, as they not only want to limit the possible spread within JCPS, but also to other schools they may be playing. This stuff isn’t easy.

I understand that completely.  I live in the metro area.  But do you honestly believe based on the meeting last night that JCPS has intentions of playing this year and starting with everyone else?  Or do you think they voted to proceed with some / many on that board knowing full well they'll probably either squash the season entirely or delay further when they meet in a few weeks?  Everyone has to be sure they can do things safely.  But most everyone is proceeding with intentions to play this year, but understand things can happen to change that.  I'm not so sure JCPS is proceeding with that same intention.  That's all I'm saying.  Maybe I'm wrong about that, but I guess we'll see.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Unrivaled97 said:

I understand that completely.  I live in the metro area.  But do you honestly believe based on the meeting last night that JCPS has intentions of playing this year and starting with everyone else?  Or do you think they voted to proceed with some / many on that board knowing full well they'll probably either squash the season entirely or delay further when they meet in a few weeks?  Everyone has to be sure they can do things safely.  But most everyone is proceeding with intentions to play this year, but understand things can happen to change that.  I'm not so sure JCPS is proceeding with that same intention.  That's all I'm saying.  Maybe I'm wrong about that, but I guess we'll see.

I think what you are saying is pretty accurate.  

Anyone that watched the entire meeting last night knows that the people in that meeting representing JCPS do not want to play high school sports.  There may be a couple of maybes in that group but that appeared to have more to do with peer pressure and how they will look if everyone else is playing and they say no to children playing sports. 

11 minutes ago, theguru said:

I think what you are saying is pretty accurate.  

Anyone that watched the entire meeting last night knows that the people in that meeting representing JCPS do not want to play high school sports.  There may be a couple of maybes in that group but that appeared to have more to do with peer pressure and how they will look if everyone else is playing and they say no to children playing sports. 

Similarly, anybody that pays attention to the numbers in Louisville should understand the concern to move forward. 

19 hours ago, rjs4470 said:

What backup plan can there be besides pushing to a later date?  We are pretty much at the point where you either try to get started and hope for the best, or not start at all. If you believe things won’t significantly improve in the next few weeks, delaying really serves no purpose.  It’s really now or never for this year.

I was in favor of playing in the spring like many other states have done. In short, the likelihood of completing a season in the spring is far greater than in the fall. 

To answer your question, I'm not sure what backup plan would have worked.  Maybe a schedule that accounted for a shutdown and reboot in the spring.  Or a plan that outlines how we're going to deal with the cancelled games that we're doomed to have (not sure if that was discussed or not).

It just feels like "now or never" isn't a plan. It was a way to please the masses. 

• Like 1