2019 Golf Thread

GrantNKY

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to be pretty good (5-6 index), and now I'm not (9.7 index). I used to play 50+ rounds a year, last year I played less than 20. I can't imagine that increases much in 2019. So playing less often makes me worse, and playing worse makes it WAY less fun. Way less fun makes me want to not play at all.

A vicious circle.

Simple solution...PLAY MORE!!! You will play better which will make it more fun...seems simple to me:)!

Heading to the Waste Management Open in Scottsdale, Arizona next week to beer vend. Really looking forward to the adventure.

Was there last year and partied on #16, Par 3 completely enclosed by multi-storied parties. All corporate with open buffet and full bars. Every participant is given a bracelet and with every drink it gets punched. Ten drink daily limit per participant and that explains the roudiness. Standard betting of $1 on each group with player closest to pin deemed the winner. Hundreds of party groups betting and the losing bettor is obligated to boo their player's shot if he doesn't win. Extra loud boos if player misses green. Hole #17 is a short Par 4 that is evolving to the party atmosphere. Unique environment to say the least.

Just decided to go to Phoenix with my wife in early February for a long weekend to get away from the cold. Bringing the sticks and definitely playing a few times...a golf buddy of mine is already going to be out there to watch his granddaughter in a college gymnastics competition and he is going to stay an extra week so he will be there when I am there...cannot wait!

• 2 weeks later...

If this doesn't bring a tear to your eye, nothing will. The following video is going viral because it shows a Special Olympian with Downs syndrome making a par on the famous 16th hole at the Phoenix open during a practice round. She played the hole with Gary Woodland and Matt Kuchar. What an inspiration!

Special Olympics golfer goes viral after making par on one of golf's most famous holes

It will be three years in April since I last played. I enjoy watching golf, and going out sounds good in theory, but the injuries have mounted up. Surgery on both shoulders was bad enough, but I tore a tendon in my thumb hitting out of a wet sand trap three years ago. The injury is called gamekeeoer’s thumb. So I had to change to a baseball grip with my top hand, and it really bothered me on my short irons. I probably need to sell all my equipment and stop thinking about it.

Thinking about getting new irons this year. I'm leaning towards the Callaway Steelhead XR's but getting tough to find since they are last years models. I'm going to have to make a decision or move on to a different option.

Anyone play these irons? If so what are your thoughts?

I got to go to Scottsdale and vend with MJ and I wanted to emphasize how much fun hole #16 is at the Waste Management Phoenix Open. If you like golf, it should definitely be on your bucket list to experience it atleast once. It was a blast to be in the atmosphere. It didn't hurt that I got to make money in the process. I am looking forward to going back in the future.

Worked #16 at the Waste Management Open in Scottsdale, AZ from Wednesday through Sunday. I cannot Express how fun that environment is on Friday and Saturday. Vended hard from 9-5pm with just breaks to crush some water.

So much fun! Glad Rickie pulled out the win.

Thinking about getting new irons this year. I'm leaning towards the Callaway Steelhead XR's but getting tough to find since they are last years models. I'm going to have to make a decision or move on to a different option.

Anyone play these irons? If so what are your thoughts?

What is your goal for getting new irons?

What is your goal for getting new irons?

Get better? :lol2: Seriously, looking for something more forgiving. I currently have a set of Mizuno and you pay for mi***Word Filter Violation - Edit Your Post******Word Filter Violation - Edit Your Post******Word Filter Violation - Edit Your Post******Word Filter Violation - Edit Your Post***s.

Get better? :lol2: Seriously, looking for something more forgiving. I currently have a set of Mizuno and you pay for miss hits.

I don’t know if you’re in the new or used market, but personally I would look more at Apex CF16 instead of the steelhead XRs. The Steelheads are fine but my only issue with that category of clubs is the distances aren’t as consistent. They are trying to get maximum distance from the clubs. So you would definitely hit them further than your Mizunos, but what good is hitting one less club when on one swing it can carry 160 and the next swing carry 165 with basically the same swing. That’s just been my experience with clubs like steelhead, etc. Personally for anyone that wants a more game improvement style clubhead I always lean towards Ping. For the value and the quality of the clubs are second to none in that category. They last forever, Ping has the best customer service in the industry, and the clubs will do exactly what you want them to do. Anything in the G or I lines 25 and up besides iBlade will offer plenty of forgiveness while not sacrificing any consistency.