2019 Golf Thread

GrantNKY

Paintsville’s swinging bridge for carts is probably the only one in the nation. Crosses the Paint River. Interesting and fun feature to the course.

Okay, thanks to Google Maps you can get a good look from the satellite of the bridge -- that looks a LOT more sturdy than what I was picturing. I was picturing some rickety wooden thing like Maysville CC used to have on #9.

Crisis averted.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, thanks to Google Maps you can get a good look from the satellite of the bridge -- that looks a LOT more sturdy than what I was picturing. I was picturing some rickety wooden thing like Maysville CC used to have on #9.

Crisis averted.

It’s no walk (or ride) in the park. :lol:

I remember avoiding the bridge at Maysville at all costs. Hated that thing!

Thanks for bringing back memories. Wasn't there something else crazy like a front 7 and back 11? But, I do remember really enjoying the course and the clubhouse staff.

Several unique things about PCC. Turf tee boxes, the bridge, playing up and down the same hollers. It’s definitely something else.

Crisis averted.

They used to call a good tee shot from the tips on that hole a bridge-walker.

So, I walked 9 holes at the dinky par-3 behind the pool at the Maysville rec park with my son-on-law this afternoon. Considering where I was six weeks ago, i’ll take it.

It’s not a true test of golf, but I finished without falling down and carded a smooth 30. Baby steps.

You're a lucky guy. Your buds are 100% correct. Hope you get to play all 4 courses, plus the Par 3 and leave a couple hours for cocktails and a hilarious time in the Punch Bowl. Until you do it, you haven't experienced the fun of losing a few bucks over a 200 ft. downhill putt that breaks 5 different directions. Lots of stories. Love to hear about your experiences.

Biggest challenge is getting there! You'll understand later.

Well I am back from Bandon Dunes! Had a great time! You are right Coach that it is a haul getting there. Flight from Cincy to San Fran, then to Portland, then 4 to 4.5 hour drive from Portland to Bandon. The drive is really scenic with the fir trees and the Umpqua River which is just gorgeous. Three guys on our trip (out of 12) missed their connecting flight because their first flight was delayed. However, their clubs made it on the second plane. They had to fly to Seattle and drive a couple of hours to Portland and stop at the airport to get their clubs and then make the drive to Bandon. Trust me they were not happy campers about this.

The courses are amazing. We were lucky with the weather as they called it a heat wave because the temperature got up to 70 degrees. I was sunny 3 of the 4 days we played and the other day was cloudy but no rain. It was very windy the first day when we played Bandon Dunes. The next two days were much calmer (Pacific Dunes and Bandon Trails). The last day was breezy again (Old Macdonald). It was funny how the guys disagreed on which course they liked the most. I ranked them in this order: I liked Bandon Trails the most (not as scenic but just a well designed course IMO), then Pacific Trails (incredible views), then Bandon Trails and then Old Macdonald. Just because I ranked Old Macdonald last does NOT mean I did not like it. I did. I really struggled on the greens all week as they were very undulating and not very consistent in terms of speed. I also struggled with the firmness of the turf. It was hard to take a divot and you almost never left a ballmark on the greens.

Overall we had a great time and I highly recommend it. It is NOT cheap and you basically need a full day to get there and a full day to get home. But I found it worth it. The Punchbowl was a BLAST! We went around it 3 times and the drinks were flowing (the guys started me on a new drink -to me- called Transfusion and after three of them, my putting got worse...lol). I dropped about 10 bucks at the Punchbowl:)! BTW, my caddy told me they are playing the US Amateur their last year. I cannot wait to watch that!

Well I am back from Bandon Dunes! Had a great time! You are right Coach that it is a haul getting there. Flight from Cincy to San Fran, then to Portland, then 4 to 4.5 hour drive from Portland to Bandon. The drive is really scenic with the fir trees and the Umpqua River which is just gorgeous. Three guys on our trip (out of 12) missed their connecting flight because their first flight was delayed. However, their clubs made it on the second plane. They had to fly to Seattle and drive a couple of hours to Portland and stop at the airport to get their clubs and then make the drive to Bandon. Trust me they were not happy campers about this.

The courses are amazing. We were lucky with the weather as they called it a heat wave because the temperature got up to 70 degrees. I was sunny 3 of the 4 days we played and the other day was cloudy but no rain. It was very windy the first day when we played Bandon Dunes. The next two days were much calmer (Pacific Dunes and Bandon Trails). The last day was breezy again (Old Macdonald). It was funny how the guys disagreed on which course they liked the most. I ranked them in this order: I liked Bandon Trails the most (not as scenic but just a well designed course IMO), then Pacific Trails (incredible views), then Bandon Trails and then Old Macdonald. Just because I ranked Old Macdonald last does NOT mean I did not like it. I did. I really struggled on the greens all week as they were very undulating and not very consistent in terms of speed. I also struggled with the firmness of the turf. It was hard to take a divot and you almost never left a ballmark on the greens.

Overall we had a great time and I highly recommend it. It is NOT cheap and you basically need a full day to get there and a full day to get home. But I found it worth it. The Punchbowl was a BLAST! We went around it 3 times and the drinks were flowing (the guys started me on a new drink -to me- called Transfusion and after three of them, my putting got worse...lol). I dropped about 10 bucks at the Punchbowl:)! BTW, my caddy told me they are playing the US Amateur their last year. I cannot wait to watch that!

I am so envious, been two years since I was there and it's going to get back on my list of must does. Easier to get to Scotland than Bandon Dunes. But so worth it! Thanks for sharing, ggclfan. Hit them straight.