Who would win? CovCath or UConn Women's team

Doesn't this come up every few years? No contest. CovCath.

I know a kid that played at a good All "A" HS and then went to UK. He played on the practice squad with some other guys against UK's women and said his HS team would destroy the UK women.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can’t speak for UConn, but most D1 women’s teams practice against very average former high school boys players.

This. And those players are told what to do and how to play when they scrimmage the woman’s team.

You are kidding right? Or are you that out of touch with reality? UConn Women practice daily against boys the level of most of the CCH players. Dangerfield, Williams and Samuelson are three to four years older and play at a speed you obviously don't appreciate or simply refuse to recognize.

CovCath would destroy those guys that practice against UConn women too.

I've told this story before, but I'll tell it again. In college, me and 4 other baseball players got to run against the core of our top 25 D2 girls basketball team. Only one of us was over 6ft (one guy was 6' 4"), and while he was an all state basketball player, the rest of us were no better than good. I was the 2nd or 3rd guy off the bench in HS who's only skill was shooting the ball and couldn't guard soul in a man to man situation. The other 3 guys were decent, but not stars. We ran the girls out gym. They couldn't get a stop, couldn't get a rebound, and couldn't get a shot off anywhere near the paint. They knocked down a few long jumpers, and got a few points of steals when we got real sloppy. Otherwise it was a complete blowout.

Obviously, the UCONN girls would be much better than a lower end top 25 D2 team. I'm guessing they probably might have beaten us. But, again, for the most part we were just hacks. The Cov Cath boys are legit, and would have smoked my 5 in college. I don't care how good the UCONN girls are. They aren't beating Cov Cath. Too much size speed and athleticism on top of being skilled.

When I was the Girls varsity coach at Brossart, we would occasionally scrimmage the freshmen boys. The Freshmen boys always had the upper hand.

My scout squad was made up of boys who had been cut from the freshmen/JV team. That was quite a bit more even, and highly beneficial to us.

I know a guy who coached HS girls at a school that scrimmaged the Frosh boys as well. He said that in a controlled half court setting where the teams just ran half court offense and blew the whistle after each possession that the girls could hang with them and even outscore them some days. However, if they went full court and the boys pressed, it was no contest. They killed them with their press and then killed them in transition.

UCONN Women:

Dangerfield 5'5

Nurse 6'1

Williams 5'11 (probably best player in college)

Collier 6'1

Lou Samuelson 6'3

3 players shooting 45% or better from 3

I'd agree in that the state championship squad and a few other top teams could beat UCONN--- but I don't think you would have to go to Ludlow to find a comparable high school squad. I don't think every top 20 team in KY could.

Cov. Cath. Would run away with it. They could just post Walters up and score every possession. No way this is even close!

At least a 40 point win for the Colonels. If the Rowdies/Crazies (or whatever their nickname is) show up add 20 more points to that total and reinforce the bleacher supports where they will be standing.

Finally !!! Someone with common sense. I think you meant that UCONN practices everyday against a boys squad who are former high school hoopers. Granted these guys aren't D1 caliber players, but they all played in high school and Gino thinks they are good enough to get his team ready. If not, he wouldn't let them anywhere near the Court.

To think that Crystal Dangerfield couldn't get hers against Aiden Ruthshatz or Gabby Williams against AJ Mayer or Katie Lou Samuelson against CJ Fredrick is simply not based in reality. I might have agreed that CCH would win if it was 10 or 15 years ago, but not now. Athleticism of the girls game has greatly improved. Use a 28.5 inch ball and the college three stripe and UConn is winning this one.

You left out Jake Walter. Who is going to guard Jake Walter?

6’4 male athletes of quality, such as CovCath has, will out jump their 6’4 female counterparts by a foot. The ladies at the college level make it look easy against other ladies, but that Catholic team is a physical group of young men. I told the guy sitting next to be at Rupp that I’d guess half of the team,or more, were probably also on CovCath’s state football championship team.

Other than the Mayer brothers, I don't think any of them played football.

CovCath would destroy them, without question. Size and athleticism are way, way too much.

I must add this nugget of truth, though, about girls playing boys. Sometimes, when they are younger and play with the same size ball (5th and 6th grade in this particular example) really strong girls can compete with good boys, and when they do the boys, and especially their parents, are not too happy about and complain that the boys "couldn't play at 100 percent against girls". The Kentucky Royals girls won 6 straight sessions, 72 games in a row, against AAU teams at Sports of All Sorts about 5 years ago, and some of the boys they beat are very successful high school players now. That Royals team included four "top 100" girls (Maddie Scherr, Shelby Calhoun, Makira Cook and KK Brandsford), and four other very strong girls, but at that age they more than competed against local AAU boys teams, and the boys' parents and coaches were more often than not upset that they were, as I often heard, put in a "no win situation" playing against, and getting beaten by, girls. And these were not boys who weren't any good. Many of those boys are playing varsity basketball in northern Kentucky now, and some are even stars and are or will be all region caliber players. They are out there and they know who they are, and I am certain they remember losing to those girls.

To get back on the topic of this thread, though, I am not implying those girls could compete today against the same boys, and certainly the best women's team does not compete with CovCath. Size and athleticism just change too much. I think a better debate would be the UConn women, or Louisville women, against an average high school boys team. I still think the average 6'3" boys center is going to be way more athletic and agile than any 6'3" girl, but at least you wouldn't have the ridiculousness of a girl trying to stop Walter, or Mayer, or Thelen ... which aint happening.

You are kidding right? Or are you that out of touch with reality? UConn Women practice daily against boys the level of most of the CCH players. Dangerfield, Williams and Samuelson are three to four years older and play at a speed you obviously don't appreciate or simply refuse to recognize.

You are missing the fact that the greatest female athletes do not have the strength or speed of a man. Prepuberty- girls may be stronger or faster- after puberty no way.

To use another sport for perspective, Katie Ledecky, who is the greatest woman swimmer ever, would not even have won the KY high school boys meet this year!