Chris Mack to Louisville (Rumor)

Posted all that and didn’t answer a simple question. :lol2:

Went to bed (oldtimers do that when they wake up after their 9:00-10:00 program is boring). Not saying UL is not well into addressing their problems that spiraled downward in many areas. But, it takes time and good intentions are hard to measure until results begin to happen. Has a new President been hired? Major concern of any future coach that knows about Nancy Zempers' agenda that ended with Huggy Bear being shown the exit door. Removing interim from Charlie Tyra's AD title appears to be a good move. Dissension within the Board members appears to be easing, but wrestling match with Daddy Deep Pockets may still be problematic. NCAA investigation is still the wildcard and to bring in a new coach with no alumni ties or school affiliation to champion the cause appears to be very high risk for the coach. Just saying UL job today (TODAY) is not a top 15 opportunity for a coach to step into. High risk/potential lucrative reward with longterm contract. Could be Siberia with longterm recruiting challenges. That is why I maintain the money may be there(?); but, any quality candidates will have sleepless nights wrestling with any offer. Really hope they get a good one!

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went to bed (oldtimers do that when they wake up after their 9:00-10:00 program is boring). Not saying UL is not well into addressing their problems that spiraled downward in many areas. But, it takes time and good intentions are hard to measure until results begin to happen. Has a new President been hired? Major concern of any future coach that knows about Nancy Zempers' agenda that ended with Huggy Bear being shown the exit door. Removing interim from Charlie Tyra's AD title appears to be a good move. Dissension within the Board members appears to be easing, but wrestling match with Daddy Deep Pockets may still be problematic. NCAA investigation is still the wildcard and to bring in a new coach with no alumni ties or school affiliation to champion the cause appears to be very high risk for the coach. Just saying UL job today (TODAY) is not a top 15 opportunity for a coach to step into. High risk/potential lucrative reward with longterm contract. Could be Siberia with longterm recruiting challenges. That is why I maintain the money may be there(?); but, any quality candidates will have sleepless nights wrestling with any offer. Really hope they get a good one!

While someone would be fool to discount what's going on right now at UofL, it is absolutely a Top 10-15 job regardless. Tyra will be the AD sooner rather than later, so that's a non-issue IMO. The President... Sure it matters, but that isn't stopping a coach from coming.

Money and long contracts talk. A coach who is going to more than double his salary, upgrade in facilities, upgrade in resources, upgrade in conference etc., isn't going to lose too much sleep.

While someone would be fool to discount what's going on right now at UofL, it is absolutely a Top 10-15 job regardless. Tyra will be the AD sooner rather than later, so that's a non-issue IMO. The President... Sure it matters, but that isn't stopping a coach from coming.

Money and long contracts talk. A coach who is going to more than double his salary, upgrade in facilities, upgrade in resources, upgrade in conference etc., isn't going to lose too much sleep.

So my interpretation is that you are saying some young coach can be bought into "potential basketball purgatory". I can't argue with that, but until one knows the timeframe around "purgatory" it is not a top 15 national program. That is why I think the temptation of what it can be versus the unknown would create the sleepless, wrestling nights for a top notch candidate. I also think Xavier's loss as it transpired probably adds to Chris Mack's stickiness where he is. The feelings of business not finished are real.

So my interpretation is that you are saying some young coach can be bought into "potential basketball purgatory". I can't argue with that, but until one knows the timeframe around "purgatory" it is not a top 15 national program. That is why I think the temptation of what it can be versus the unknown would create the sleepless, wrestling nights for a top notch candidate. I also think Xavier's loss as it transpired probably adds to Chris Mack's stickiness where he is. The feelings of business not finished are real.

We'll see.

Whoever UL hires will get a long term deal and money. Probably 8 years and big money to get past uncertainty. Pitino also got 2 million per year from Addidas. With UL being Addidas flag ship program, I could see them kicking in some money also. Also have ACC network in works which will be more money in future.

Will Addidas stick with them?

Mick's past ties to Pitino were once considered a resume' builder; now wonder if the reality is perceived differently throughout college basketball? Especially UL that is making overt steps to separate themselves from everything he touched.

Mick's past ties to Pitino were once considered a resume' builder; now wonder if the reality is perceived differently throughout college basketball? Especially UL that is making overt steps to separate themselves from everything he touched.

It’s irrelevant, because he’s not coming.

It’s irrelevant, because he’s not coming.

Speaking to the bigger picture. Does a stint with Pitino become a liability on a coach's resume? Certainly there are a lot of young aspiring coachs that have time in his program. Are they negatively affected. Mick would have been a logical two years ago; not so much now.

Speaking to the bigger picture. Does a stint with Pitino become a liability on a coach's resume? Certainly there are a lot of young aspiring coachs that have time in his program. Are they negatively affected. Mick would have been a logical two years ago; not so much now.

No. Rick Pitino is a Hall of Fame coach.