One and Not Done - 30 for 30

justsayin

The big mistake there from what I saw on the show, Memphis says to the NCAA investigators that they used an ineligible player. That basically ends the investigation. That seems stupid by Memphis. Why didn't they say no, the NCAA cleared Rose to play so we thought he was eligible. Then ask the NCAA why they cleared him to play and caused us (Memphis) to allow him to play.

Or, did Memphis say that because D Rose admitted to them he did not take the test?

They needed the North Carolina Tar Heel legal defense team to handle that situation. That way they would have gotten a written apology from the NCAA for even bringing up the subject.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just watched it. I definitely enjoyed it. I admit I was not a fan of Cal at all before he came to UK.

I know a lot of UK fans may not like it. However at the end of the day, what he does is truly what a coach should do. A coach should do what is best for their players and not what's best for himself or the program.

Cal honestly with as good of a sales person as he is. Probably could have convinced some of these guys to come back during his time at UK. However he truly is not thinking about what's best for himself or the program. He is thinking about the players when he basically forces them to go if he knows they are a 1st round pick.

I know for selfish reasons as a fan we would love to see guys stay longer. However in terms of what a coach should do. Doing what's best for the players is what a coach should do, and he does it. The Wagner situation it talks about is the exact reason why players should leave early if they have a chance.

I watched it and I thought it was excellent.

My takeaway is Cal is the guy you want your son to play for but Cal is also shady when it comes to the rules and who he chooses to associate with to acquire the best talent.

I don't think i learned anything new, but i believe it reenforced his belief in the 1 and done philosophy 100%.

I can't stand John Thompson but when he said "you all the coaches over here. Then you have Cal by himself in reality...". That sold me even more.

As a UK diehard I obviously want guys to stay, but after the part on Dejuan Wheat how can one even question the idea? The only reason the one and dones are coming is bc of Cals track record.

I'm also glad Camby more than cleared Cals name in his scandal. Where curmudgeon Knight?

The segment on DeJuan Wagner is the perfect example of why kids need to to turn pro as soon as it is possible. After seeing his story, I don't see how anyone can fault a kid for leaving school.

Exactly. I was going to comment on this. In fact, the 30/30 made it pretty clear that DeJuan Wganer is what made it obvious to Cal to not let a kid who is a high draft pick come back to college. I think they said Wagner made about $7M on his NBA contract and he would likely have never made a cent if he had come back to school instead of going into the draft.

I really liked it but there was nothing I haven't seen or heard before. He's a great motivator and recruiter and if I had a son that had a shot at the professional level there isn't another coach I'd want him to play for.

It still bothers me to no end if UNC gets off with anything less than vacating those 18 seasons because of what they did to Memphis for what would also be eacademic fraud but in a much less severe case even if D Rose cheated.

I really liked it but there was nothing I haven't seen or heard before. He's a great motivator and recruiter and if I had a son that had a shot at the professional level there isn't another coach I'd want him to play for.

It still bothers me to no end if UNC gets off with anything less than vacating those 18 seasons because of what they did to Memphis for what would also be eacademic fraud but in a much less severe case even if D Rose cheated.

I'm with you on the last paragraph. Rose took a test off campus before enrolling.

UNC had an academic fraud taking place on campus, under the eyes of the University and its academic program.

This came out at a perfect time for UK, Thursday night, mid-April, nothing else to do or watch. Should help Cal recruiting even more IMO, I'm not a fan of the one and done just because I'd like to see some of these kids play two years, which is selfish of me, but after seeing the Wagner story I don't blame any of them at all.

If I have a son who has potential to play in the league, I would definitely want him to play for Coach Cal and understand why Shaq wants his son to do the same.

It's never going to happen again with the elite players.

Get a time machine and go back to 1977! :)

Heck even Magic left after two years at Mich St. back then.

I Never said it would happen again. He asked my preference and I gave it. Hate when kids transfer in HS or college or bolt for the NBA or prep schools. I like to watch teams develop and play together. Such a burden learning 6 new names every year.

I Never said it would happen again. He asked my preference and I gave it. Hate when kids transfer in HS or college or bolt for the NBA or prep schools. I like to watch teams develop and play together. Such a burden learning 6 new names every year.

Maybe that's why I enjoy Coach Cal's system so much. I think its a lot of fun watching them grow and watching the process on a yearly basis.