One and Not Done - 30 for 30

justsayin

I thought the only mistake he made was avoiding the NCAA on Drose.

The big mistake there from what I saw on the show, Memphis says to the NCAA investigators that they used an ineligible player. That basically ends the investigation. That seems stupid by Memphis. Why didn't they say no, the NCAA cleared Rose to play so we thought he was eligible. Then ask the NCAA why they cleared him to play and caused us (Memphis) to allow him to play.

Or, did Memphis say that because D Rose admitted to them he did not take the test?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was a fan at Massachusetts, a fan at Memphis. So I was ecstatic when he got the UK gig.

Same.

I remember watching him on the B.D.S.P. (Fox Sports show with Tom Arnold, John Saley and those guys) while he was at Memphis and he was just so personable and charismatic. I really started liking the guy after that, after noticing his genuineness and ability to light up the room. I was one of the ones who liked him before he was at UK and was ecstatic when he got the job to come to UK. Perfect fit, IMO.

I thought it was ok, but for most fans they knew that was the way he was anyways. I am surprised that the only other coach that would speak on film about Cal (that was not his assistant) was Jim Calhoun and John Thompson. My guess is that is because they are retired and most current coaches do not have a favorable opinion of him. But I dont think Cal cares what others think, he is more concerned with what his players think.

Growing up in Kentucky we are drawn so much into the college game, and dont care that much about the NBA. You may now watch NBA because most of the Kentucky Connection. The truth is most of those kids would have been in the NBA if it wasnt an NBA rule of One and Done, however Cal would have still got the best kids that would have been left over if that rule wasnt left in place.

I will say that over time fan bases learn to conform to their coaches, but are loyal to their school. I know that most Kentucky fans that I grew up with did not like Cal one bit when he was at UMASS and Memphis. I would even go as far as saying several said all he did was recruit thugs and "break rules" and glad Kentucky doesnt recruit those kind of players. Funny most thought Pitino was squeaky clean and seen as a savior when he was in Lexington, however today Rick is considered the Villain and Cal is the Saint.

Both are great college coaches. I think Cal is the ultimate Salesperson and he truly wants to see these kids reach their dreams for their families. Kentucky and Cal is the perfect match. I am unsure who they could ever get to follow him, I would say it would have to be someone in his pipeline.

I thought it was ok, but for most fans they knew that was the way he was anyways. I am surprised that the only other coach that would speak on film about Cal (that was not his assistant) was Jim Calhoun and John Thompson. My guess is that is because they are retired and most current coaches do not have a favorable opinion of him. But I dont think Cal cares what others think, he is more concerned with what his players think.

Growing up in Kentucky we are drawn so much into the college game, and dont care that much about the NBA. You may now watch NBA because most of the Kentucky Connection. The truth is most of those kids would have been in the NBA if it wasnt an NBA rule of One and Done, however Cal would have still got the best kids that would have been left over if that rule wasnt left in place.

I will say that over time fan bases learn to conform to their coaches, but are loyal to their school. I know that most Kentucky fans that I grew up with did not like Cal one bit when he was at UMASS and Memphis. I would even go as far as saying several said all he did was recruit thugs and "break rules" and glad Kentucky doesnt recruit those kind of players. Funny most thought Pitino was squeaky clean and seen as a savior when he was in Lexington, however today Rick is considered the Villain and Cal is the Saint.

Both are great college coaches. I think Cal is the ultimate Salesperson and he truly wants to see these kids reach their dreams for their families. Kentucky and Cal is the perfect match. I am unsure who they could ever get to follow him, I would say it would have to be someone in his pipeline.

Bill Self was on there.

I thought it did a good job showing that the Camby and Rose incidents had nothing to do with Calipari. I'm not saying he's squeaky clean throughout his career, but he's probably cleaner than many of of his peers and critics, namely Jim Calhoun. In addition, he's been maligned by a large portion of the media without any solid proof to do so except that as head coach he is suppose to control the uncontrollable, such as the Camby-agent violation.
IMO, he knew something about the Rose situation. At the very least he knew it probably wasn't on the up and up. The Camby deal I'm not sure why people think he had anything do with that, if I understand the facts about that correctly.

IMO, he knew something about the Rose situation. At the very least he knew it probably wasn't on the up and up. The Camby deal I'm not sure why people think he had anything do with that, if I understand the facts about that correctly.

That's the way I see it. With WWW involvement in the Rose situation it would be hard for them to not know. Probably why they didn't fight it. I don't remember the details very good at this point.

I didn't think Memphis (Cal) avoided the NCAA...I thought DRose was who avoided them.

On a deeper note, was this in a way a deeper message sent to the NCAA by ESPN watching how they are going to handle the UNC and U of L situations? The story was clear in saying had these situations (Camby and DRose) happened at Blue blood schools or had they won the championship those years...would the forfeiting banners have happened?

I thought Cal said in the show that he told Drose not to talk, I think Cal was just trying to get to the tourney and thought it would possibly blow over, since Drose had one foot in the NBA already.

I thought Cal said in the show that he told Drose not to talk, I think Cal was just trying to get to the tourney and thought it would possibly blow over, since Drose had one foot in the NBA already.
He did say that. At that point Rose was gone and it didn't matter. Had Memphis not said they used an ineligible player I don't think anything happens. Especially if Rose didn't cooperate with the NCAA. If I was Memphis I would stuck to the "you cleared him so we played" story.

He did say that. At that point Rose was gone and it didn't matter. Had Memphis not said they used an ineligible player I don't think anything happens. Especially if Rose didn't cooperate with the NCAA. If I was Memphis I would stuck to the "you cleared him so we played" story.

Oh I completely agree, Cal knew how to play it, Memphis didn't.