Julian Tackett discusses future of Sweet 16s

I like the 6 day format mentioned above- I agree that with the times listed above it will never stay on schedule- but here's an idea- don't empty the gym and waste valuable time in the afternoon the first 2 days- If someone wants to watch all 8 games I call them a fan and find no need to charge them twice for the first two days- let's be fan friendly for once ( are you listening KHSAA) A seat filled at an event is better than an empty seat- Ticket prices will probably rise next year anyway( they did at BB& T this year for the girls sweet 16 compared to last year 2016)

After 2 games schedule a game 2 hrs apart to caught up like 8:30- 10:00 -12:00 1:30 - 3:30 - 5:00 -7:00 then 8:30 or 9 for the last game- You wouldn't run the risk of being so far behind in the evening

I think it's crazy to waste time in the afternoon only to be running behind late at night- starting a scheduled 9:30 game at 11:00 is nuts

Just my 2 cents!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In terms of shortening the season, I'd say just take a week off at the end, don't start it any sooner. Too many kids playing football and basketball.

Agreed. Starting earlier would be a nightmare for many schools

who have players that play Football also.

Wouldn't moving the boy's state tournament in front of the girl's put it in conflict with UK's schedule??

Only one date. UK always plays on Tuesday and Saturday of the final week, one at home and one on the road, usually alternating each year. If it is a Tuesday home game, then there is no conflict. If it is a Saturday home game, the UK game would be at noon and the high school games would be Saturday night (just like in 2013).

Get rid of the basketball district tournament. Easy peezy fixed. Shaves the week off so basketball can eat its own problem and leave football alone.

:taz: don't understand why football is even brought into the conversation.

Why not? Why do some think football is "untouchable" while other sports can shorten, move, cut, etc.

I think you are drastically underestimating how much time is necessary for a game, and when the next game could start. No way is 90 minutes enough for a game and the warmups for the next game.

Just looking back at the update threads for this year's games and where the game actually started versus when it was scheduled...

Perry Central & Scott (supposed to tip at 1:30) started at 2:08

Ballard & Fern Creek (slated for 8:00 start) got underway at 8:24

Cooper & Fern Creek (scheduled for 8:00) didn't begin until 8:45

All of those were with just ONE game played prior to them. It averages out to just over 35 minutes. With the current set up, only 1 game is affected. With your's, it would have a chain reaction all the way down the line.

Game for 5:00 - starts on time

Game for 6:30 - doesn't start until 7:05

Game for 8:00 - won't begin until 9:10

Game for 9:30 - probably wouldn't begin until around 11:15

It's a nice theory that you've got, but I just don't see reality coming anywhere near that (at least for your first 2 days).

Just went back and checked out the start times from my update threads from this year's All A State tourney. I'll list the scheduled start time and actual.

I'll add, once a game hits 00:00 on the clock, 20:00 gets put on the board till the start of next game. Also, only 10:00 halftime compared to KHSAA's 15:00 halftime break.

Wed Girls 1st Rd. (evening session) I was not there for the morning session.

5:00 - 4:58

6:30 - 6:34

8:00 - 8:25

9:30 - 9:46

Thursday Boys 1st Rd.

8:30 - 8:28

10:00 - 10:07

11:30 - 11:47

1:00 - 1:35

5:00 - 5:00

6:30 - 6:29

8:00 - 8:16

9:30 - 9:54

Friday Girls Quarter-Finals

8:30 - 8:29

10:00 - 10:20

11:30 - 11:50

1:00 - 1:24

Friday Boys Quarter-Finals

5:00 - 4:59

6:30 - 6:42

8:00 - 8:18

9:30 - 10:04

BTW, I enjoy EVERY minute of it!!!

I like the 6 day format mentioned above- I agree that with the times listed above it will never stay on schedule- but here's an idea- don't empty the gym and waste valuable time in the afternoon the first 2 days- If someone wants to watch all 8 games I call them a fan and find no need to charge them twice for the first two days- let's be fan friendly for once ( are you listening KHSAA) A seat filled at an event is better than an empty seat- Ticket prices will probably rise next year anyway( they did at BB& T this year for the girls sweet 16 compared to last year 2016)

After 2 games schedule a game 2 hrs apart to caught up like 8:30- 10:00 -12:00 1:30 - 3:30 - 5:00 -7:00 then 8:30 or 9 for the last game- You wouldn't run the risk of being so far behind in the evening

I think it's crazy to waste time in the afternoon only to be running behind late at night- starting a scheduled 9:30 game at 11:00 is nuts

Just my 2 cents!

Agree 100000000000000%, that's one thing I love about the All A State tourney......It's a long couple of days, but WELL WORTH IT!

Why not? Why do some think football is "untouchable" while other sports can shorten, move, cut, etc.

Should football be changed because the Sweet 16 has poor attendance? No, It shouldn't. Sweet 16 attendance has nothing to do with football. You do realize the argument being made is to shorten the football season so basketball doesn't have to shorten it's season. This is a basketball issue. Not a football issue.

Should football be changed because the Sweet 16 has poor attendance? No, It shouldn't. Sweet 16 attendance has nothing to do with football. You do realize the argument being made is to shorten the football season so basketball doesn't have to shorten it's season. This is a basketball issue. Not a football issue.

I would think basketball gets priority over anything because that's were the KHSAA makes all their money

I would think basketball gets priority over anything because that's were the KHSAA makes all their money

That is irrelevant. Shortening the basketball season would have zero effect on how much money the KHSAA makes from basketball. They would still have the sweet 16, which is where that money comes from. The KHSAA gets nothing from the regular season.

That is irrelevant. Shortening the basketball season would have zero effect on how much money the KHSAA makes from basketball. They would still have the sweet 16, which is where that money comes from. The KHSAA gets nothing from the regular season.

I thought they should move football up a week so it didn't overlap the beginning of basketball.

I thought they should move football up a week so it didn't overlap the beginning of basketball.

That probably will not happen because of heat rules. I don't personally care the they do. I just think it's interesting that the answers being presented involve changing football so that basketball can stay the same. It is a backwards way of thinking.

I think you are drastically underestimating how much time is necessary for a game, and when the next game could start. No way is 90 minutes enough for a game and the warmups for the next game.

Just looking back at the update threads for this year's games and where the game actually started versus when it was scheduled...

Perry Central & Scott (supposed to tip at 1:30) started at 2:08

Ballard & Fern Creek (slated for 8:00 start) got underway at 8:24

Cooper & Fern Creek (scheduled for 8:00) didn't begin until 8:45

All of those were with just ONE game played prior to them. It averages out to just over 35 minutes. With the current set up, only 1 game is affected. With your's, it would have a chain reaction all the way down the line.

Game for 5:00 - starts on time

Game for 6:30 - doesn't start until 7:05

Game for 8:00 - won't begin until 9:10

Game for 9:30 - probably wouldn't begin until around 11:15

It's a nice theory that you've got, but I just don't see reality coming anywhere near that (at least for your first 2 days).

I see your point, but there is no reason to have a 20+ minute warmup for a high school basketball game. They're 16-18 year old kids. If they can't get loose in 8 minutes, there's something wrong. Watch any layup line pregame, and you can tell those kids are lathered up after about 3 minutes.

I see your point, but there is no reason to have a 20+ minute warmup for a high school basketball game. They're 16-18 year old kids. If they can't get loose in 8 minutes, there's something wrong. Watch any layup line pregame, and you can tell those kids are lathered up after about 3 minutes.

Those 25 minutes are very important for getting patrons to the bathroom, selling concessions, etc.