Julian Tackett discusses future of Sweet 16s

As much as I hate to admit it, adding to the the beginning of the season isn't a good idea if you're an opponent of specialization. I'm all for it, but I may find myself in the minority on this issue.

If you work at a small school this makes perfect sense. Almost all of our kids play multiple sports; having a kid miss games in one sport because their other sports team is having a great year isn't fair to them or their teammates. That's why I've long thought fall/winter/spring sports should never overlap. There's enough time in the calendar to avoid this.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We played two games the last week of the regular season this year - it shouldn't be hard at all for people to shift those to other weeks. Really the only issue at all with shortening by a week is if we hit a significant weather stretch. If you have one less week for make up dates, that could cause your season to be even shorter. But that's really the only downside I see. I like the idea of getting the boys back in front of the girls for a selfish reason - I really miss Friday/Saturday semis and final for regional tournaments.

Start it a week earlier. It's unfair to shorten basketball and only basketball. Folks whine about football having too many playoff games. Get rid of the first round playoff games in football and start basketball a week earlier.

Problem solved.

Surely we wouldn't think of changing the football schedule. Teams need those first round blowouts to get ready for a deep run.

Start it a week earlier. It's unfair to shorten basketball and only basketball. Folks whine about football having too many playoff games. Get rid of the first round playoff games in football and start basketball a week earlier.

Problem solved.

I just stood up and applauded.

Problem solved.

Preach it Brother Purple!

Problem solved.

No way basketball season needs to start before December 1 or first week of December, if anything shorten all the seasons. High school football could start the same, play a 8 or 9 game schedule(that's plenty) and get rid of a playoff round or not, should be all done, however you do it(playoffs and everything by mid-November). Girls State Tournament should always be the last week of February, Boys first week of March after Girls every year, District and Regional Tournaments early to mid February. Baseball starts April 1st, ends Memorial Weekend or so like now. You can hear crickets in gyms mid January until District Tournaments start as it is now. Less is more and better. The only people that want longer seasons are the old fogeys(?) on here that live for it

No way basketball season needs to start before December 1 or first week of December, if anything shorten all the seasons. High school football could start the same, play a 8 or 9 game schedule(that's plenty) and get rid of a playoff round or not, should be all done, however you do it(playoffs and everything by mid-November). Girls State Tournament should always be the last week of February, Boys first week of March after Girls every year, District and Regional Tournaments early to mid February. Baseball starts April 1st, ends Memorial Weekend or so like now. You can hear crickets in gyms mid January until District Tournaments start as it is now. Less is more and better. The only people that want longer seasons are the old fogeys(?) on here that live for it

I've never heard anyone say make the season longer. With what I said I preserve the length of all sports. In January the gyms I am in are usually filled and boisterous so that makes me grateful for how our games are scheduled and for where I live. Seems like wherever you are at no one cares about basketball. That sucks. Less may be more for you but not necessarily for everyone else. Ask the kids if they want a shorter season. It's about them, right?

Basketball started on November 28th this season.

I've never heard anyone say make the season longer. With what I said I preserve the length of all sports. In January the gyms I am in are usually filled and boisterous so that makes me grateful for how our games are scheduled and for where I live. Seems like wherever you are at no one cares about basketball. That sucks. Less may be more for you but not necessarily for everyone else. Ask the kids if they want a shorter season. It's about them, right?

Basketball started on November 28th this season.

I would be for that, would be anxious to know the answer.

Tackett also acknowledged Rupp Arena as a potential future site for the girls Sweet 16.

“If something could be worked out, we just have to see,” Tackett said. “It’s a little bit like our situation with football, in that there may be other venues that are desirable but you have to be able to afford them. There’s some business to this. … We need our (state tournaments) to be financially successful in all of these events.”

So...............Title IX only matters when it comes to things like "prime time days" and each school losing revenue but it does not matter when the state tourney might lose money?

I get that it cost XXX to rent Rupp arena but you can't work the Girls games into the Boys schedule in some form like the All-A does?

Tackett also acknowledged Rupp Arena as a potential future site for the girls Sweet 16.

“If something could be worked out, we just have to see,” Tackett said. “It’s a little bit like our situation with football, in that there may be other venues that are desirable but you have to be able to afford them. There’s some business to this. … We need our (state tournaments) to be financially successful in all of these events.”

So...............Title IX only matters when it comes to things like "prime time days" and each school losing revenue but it does not matter when the state tourney might lose money?

I get that it cost XXX to rent Rupp arena but you can't work the Girls games into the Boys schedule in some form like the All-A does?

I would totally be ok with turning the boys and girls tournaments into one and making it a week and a half long event. I hate the fact that they have to play on back to back days to end the Sweet 16.

Problem solved.

Amen!!!!