Kentucky / UCLA (Sweet 16) Predictions

HammerTime

Who wins?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

If Kentucky had Alex Poythress or Marcus Lee this year I think this game would be a much different conversation, also I'm not sure UK would be playing UCLA as I think they'd be the overall #1, but either one of those makes the Willis-Gabriel matchup with Leaf less stressful for UK.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why in the world is Cal telling people to jump back on the bandwagon now? I know he takes a lot of heat but dude we beat Wichita, save the bandwagon for UCLA or UNC...

I may be wrong, but I believe that he's saying "don't jump back on the bandwagon if you've been hating all year."

I think UK wins by 5-7 points. Number of reasons, but they boil down like this:

a) Kentucky defends very well and can force you into bad / tough shots. UCLA will oblige.

b) UK is 12th in the country in 3-point defense -- a staple of UCLA's offensive attack.

c) UK doesn't turn it over much, which will help limit UCLA's run-outs and transition buckets. UCLA is not nearly as effective when limited to half-court sets.

d) UCLA doesn't get to the line very often, limits the easy buckets they get.

e) Calipari will run a clinic on Steve Alford.

f) UCLA's bench is a major problem. Depth is over-rated in the NCAA tourney, to be sure, BUT, when you are reluctant to use your reserves, it can wear on your starters.

g) UCLA's 8th most efficient offensive player (Hamilton) takes the most shots. That is bound to catch up with you...I think it does here. (similarly, for Xavier, JP Macura is the 6th most efficient and takes the 2nd most shots...either he plays at the top of his game or they are done on Thursday night)

I hate to pick UCLA but I'm not voting with my heart but my head.

I have UCLA winning it all this year. Definitely not a bias UK fan.

That will be nice for the UCLA fans when he exits and heads to Bloomington.

Kentucky by 20.

Despite the incredibly unfair late tip time, the Cats will have this one in the bag very early.

UK wins this game, they hang #9.

TheDeuce is SMOKIN......................somethin'! :lol2:

I think UK wins by 5-7 points. Number of reasons, but they boil down like this:

a) Kentucky defends very well and can force you into bad / tough shots. UCLA will oblige.

b) UK is 12th in the country in 3-point defense -- a staple of UCLA's offensive attack.

c) UK doesn't turn it over much, which will help limit UCLA's run-outs and transition buckets. UCLA is not nearly as effective when limited to half-court sets.

d) UCLA doesn't get to the line very often, limits the easy buckets they get.

e) Calipari will run a clinic on Steve Alford.

f) UCLA's bench is a major problem. Depth is over-rated in the NCAA tourney, to be sure, BUT, when you are reluctant to use your reserves, it can wear on your starters.

g) UCLA's 8th most efficient offensive player (Hamilton) takes the most shots. That is bound to catch up with you...I think it does here. (similarly, for Xavier, JP Macura is the 6th most efficient and takes the 2nd most shots...either he plays at the top of his game or they are done on Thursday night)

And there is the official kiss of death for the Cats. The last two years MTGL has picked the Cats to beat Wisconsin and Indiana.