What Trump's Victory Tells Us About Women

rockmom

It's supposed to be a demographic tool for helping look at polls and figuring out why things went a certain way in an election.

Somehow people have managed to place a value judgment on it and non-educated white has become synonymous with ignorant bumpkins from rural counties or post-industrial towns in the rust belt. That's an obvious mistake to anyone who's bothered to know or talk to anyone in that situation and placing a value judgment on folks who didn't have the opportunity or desire to go to college is just foolishness.

It's a useful demographic for political scientists because people without college degrees are most likely the ones that have been left behind in a post-industrial economy fueled by globalization and the fastest rise in individual labor productivity since the industrial revolution.

This is a good answer. I think the bolded is where alot of people go wrong in understanding people.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel bad for anyone who had that as a college experience. Mine were mostly really smart and I had a couple who were downright brilliant. I also had no illusions as to whether I was learning useful, real-world skills as an English Composition major with minors in Journalism and Latin, so it helps. Though I have the ability to write a paragraph or two that are pretty darned sharp if I do say so myself. :D

Not all were like that. Maybe I never communicated that correctly. I said some were.

I am a white, college educated woman. I have also been around the block a few times. Trump was not my ideal candidate but I voted for him. Yes, he is obnoxious and likely sexist. However, he is the one person who can shake up Washington and send the message that we are tired of politics as usual. I don't believe he is any more sexist than HRC's own husband, or many other male politicians. Trump just runs his mouth, which doesn't bother me. I find it somewhat refreshing.

I can put up with that in order to see the bigger picture. To me HRC was also a very unlikeable person. IMO, she was a liar who felt she was owed the office. She ran for office on the donations of people she would owe once she was in office. To think that I should vote for her simply because she is a woman is insulting to all women. We can think for ourselves.

I cannot agree with this post enough. You have done a great job of summing up my feelings (and MANY others) regarding this election. Insert the word "man" for woman in your first sentence and you have summed up my feelings perfectly.

This is a good answer. I think the bolded is where alot of people go wrong in understanding people.

I went to private, Catholic schools my entire life until age 22, so I've met more than my fair share of smug elitists. Some grow up and grow out of that bubble. I like to think I did and that starting my law practice in a working class neighborhood has been a big part of that.

Some don't. And that's a problem.

@rockmom

I'll keep this thread on topic and avoid the proselytizing.

I'm disappointed in women and their support for HRC.

Clinton Couldn’t Win Over White Women | FiveThirtyEight

I'm not sure when we will have a woman president. That depresses me. :sorry:

considering women are more educated than men today. Maybe these millennials will get it.

Women always have to work harder and longer to achieve the same as men in the society.

It took Hillary 30 years to get to the top and her own gender undercut her for the things she had to do to get there with no commiseration at all.

On a side note I find it HILARIOUS that uneducated and no educated Trump supporters are offended by a term. I thought political correctness had to go. :lol:

Maybe they need a safe room. :lol:

So you believe that women should have voted for HRC because she is a woman? That is degrading to women and their ability to think for themselves.

Being a women is not a position, character trait, or view on an issue. It is a gender and not a reason to be elected.

I am a white, college educated woman. I have also been around the block a few times. Trump was not my ideal candidate but I voted for him. Yes, he is obnoxious and likely sexist. However, he is the one person who can shake up Washington and send the message that we are tired of politics as usual. I don't believe he is any more sexist than HRC's own husband, or many other male politicians. Trump just runs his mouth, which doesn't bother me. I find it somewhat refreshing.

I can put up with that in order to see the bigger picture. To me HRC was also a very unlikeable person. IMO, she was a liar who felt she was owed the office. She ran for office on the donations of people she would owe once she was in office. To think that I should vote for her simply because she is a woman is insulting to all women. We can think for ourselves.

Thank you for expressing the same sentiments that I share! Could not agree more!

New pejoratives coming out of this election:

Old white man

Uneducated white voter

rural white voter

Maybe we should call them "post-secondary education deficient non-minority agricultural community residents."