What Trump's Victory Tells Us About Women

rockmom

Voices: What Trump's victory tells us about women

"Women are not a monolith," said Evelyn Simien, a political science professor at the University of Connecticut and author of Historic Firsts: How Symbolic Empowerment Changes U.S. Politics. "They are a demographic that needs to be broken down."

The white female CEO may not have the same political concerns or the same identity politics as a non-college educated white woman living in rural America. Neither face the same challenges as a poor black single mother.

Black women, overwhelmingly, were with her. Only 6% of them voted for Trump.

"White women historically have been protected — at least nominally. There's been lip service about preserving the virtue of the white woman," said Kristin Anderson, a professor of psychology at the University of Houston-Downtown and author of Modern Misogyny: Anti-Feminism in a Post-Feminist Era. "But black women don't have that luxury, so in a way, they don't fall for that as some white women do."

"Women get some benefits of associating with the patriarchy, with being OK with the sexist system," Anderson said. "So even, for instance, that poor woman who dealt with Donald Trump and Billy Bush on the Access Hollywood video, you could tell she thought 'these men are nincompoops, but i'll play along, this is just what they do.'"...

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Notice how liberal "voices" always emphasize the "non-college educated" white vote when liberals lose elections. Has anybody read a story written by a liberal that contained the statistics for how "non-college educated" black women or men voted? The media's constant attempts to disparage the intelligence of white voters who elect not to cast votes for liberal candidates is insulting and just one of many reasons that the electorate becomes more polarized with each election.

Media's insults of white voters seems to be hurting their political overlords' hand picked candidates.

Notice how liberal "voices" always emphasize the "non-college educated" white vote when liberals lose elections. Has anybody read a story written by a liberal that contained the statistics for how "non-college educated" black women or men voted? The media's constant attempts to disparage the intelligence of white voters who elect not to cast votes for liberal candidates is insulting and just one of many reasons that the electorate becomes more polarized with each election.

Media's insults of white voters seems to be hurting their political overlords' hand picked candidates.

I don't know if the Dems are incapable of understanding this or just don't care. Either way, it cost them this election. All they have to do is ask the Dems that voted for Trump and gave him the election from the Rust Belt.

@rockmom

I'll keep this thread on topic and avoid the proselytizing.

I'm disappointed in women and their support for HRC.

Clinton Couldn’t Win Over White Women | FiveThirtyEight

I'm not sure when we will have a woman president. That depresses me. :sorry:

considering women are more educated than men today. Maybe these millennials will get it.

Women always have to work harder and longer to achieve the same as men in the society.

It took Hillary 30 years to get to the top and her own gender undercut her for the things she had to do to get there with no commiseration at all.

On a side note I find it HILARIOUS that uneducated and no educated Trump supporters are offended by a term. I thought political correctness had to go. :lol:

Maybe they need a safe room. :lol:

I am a white, college educated woman. I have also been around the block a few times. Trump was not my ideal candidate but I voted for him. Yes, he is obnoxious and likely sexist. However, he is the one person who can shake up Washington and send the message that we are tired of politics as usual. I don't believe he is any more sexist than HRC's own husband, or many other male politicians. Trump just runs his mouth, which doesn't bother me. I find it somewhat refreshing.

I can put up with that in order to see the bigger picture. To me HRC was also a very unlikeable person. IMO, she was a liar who felt she was owed the office. She ran for office on the donations of people she would owe once she was in office. To think that I should vote for her simply because she is a woman is insulting to all women. We can think for ourselves.

Edited by Beechwoodfan

@rockmom

I'll keep this thread on topic and avoid the proselytizing.

I'm disappointed in women and their support for HRC.

Clinton Couldn’t Win Over White Women | FiveThirtyEight

I'm not sure when we will have a woman president. That depresses me. :sorry:

considering women are more educated than men today. Maybe these millennials will get it.

Women always have to work harder and longer to achieve the same as men in the society.

It took Hillary 30 years to get to the top and her own gender undercut her for the things she had to do to get there with no commiseration at all.

On a side note I find it HILARIOUS that uneducated and no educated Trump supporters are offended by a term. I thought political correctness had to go. :lol:

Maybe they need a safe room. :lol:

Offended? Not really. I hope that liberal Democrats and their media puppets continue insulting white voters. Doing so shows that they are not nearly as intelligent as they believe themselves to be.

I would believe is is post secondary degrees, which you probably knew. It said nothing about how smart or capable. Just a stat. Kinda like lazy people on food stamps, vetting all Muslims entering the country. Saying it like it is.

Some of the dumbest people I ever met were some of my college professors looking back. So I have a problem with using that for our measuring stick. But for the sake of the thread I agree with you thats what most use. But I contend there are many many more ways of being educated. Wisdom in the true sense is much more desirable than being educated. Now this is only my opinion which means nothing to anyone other than myself. After 1st grade through college and alot of classes since, this old happy white man :) thinks common sense is of a much higher value than Gold or any degree I or anyone else has.

Explain educated to me.

It's supposed to be a demographic tool for helping look at polls and figuring out why things went a certain way in an election.

Somehow people have managed to place a value judgment on it and non-educated white has become synonymous with ignorant bumpkins from rural counties or post-industrial towns in the rust belt. That's an obvious mistake to anyone who's bothered to know or talk to anyone in that situation and placing a value judgment on folks who didn't have the opportunity or desire to go to college is just foolishness.

It's a useful demographic for political scientists because people without college degrees are most likely the ones that have been left behind in a post-industrial economy fueled by globalization and the fastest rise in individual labor productivity since the industrial revolution.

I supposse I fall into the category of non college educated white male. What I do fall into is the white male who has had a job of some florm since 7th grade, who tried a year of college, decided I couldn't stand it, went out learned a trade and now my wife can be a stay at home mom with three kids. I know to many "college educated" people who make far less than me.

The uneducated white male card is played out. People like me who voted for Obama the first time for the exact reason we voted for trump this time. We want to see something change not just the same ole same ole.

If both Democrats and Republicans don't like the winner, then I feel like its a good thing.

Some of the dumbest people I ever met were some of my college professors looking back. So I have a problem with using that for our measuring stick. But for the sake of the thread I agree with you thats what most use. But I contend there are many many more ways of being educated. Wisdom in the true sense is much more desirable than being educated. Now this is only my opinion which means nothing to anyone other than myself. After 1st grade through college and alot of classes since, this old happy white man :) thinks common sense is of a much higher value than Gold or any degree I or anyone else has.

I feel bad for anyone who had that as a college experience. Mine were mostly really smart and I had a couple who were downright brilliant. I also had no illusions as to whether I was learning useful, real-world skills as an English Composition major with minors in Journalism and Latin, so it helps. Though I have the ability to write a paragraph or two that are pretty darned sharp if I do say so myself. :D