Who do you want as Kentucky's next coach?

newarkcatholicfan

I browsed through this thread and someone may have mentioned this already, but I say break the bank and lure Tom Herman away from Houston. He just signed a big deal but in these days, that doesn't matter. You need a young, emerging offensive-minded coach. You have to take a chance and go all in for the next hire, whoever it is.

Why in the world would a young up and comer take a chance of killing his career at UK?

UK had that with Hal Mumme and we all remember how that turned out.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why in the world would a young up and comer take a chance of killing his career at UK?

UK had that with Hal Mumme and we all remember how that turned out.

To be fair, Hal killed his own career. But I agree, as much as I would love Herman (he's at the top of my wish list) Houston is a better job than UK. Not to mention he continues like this he will have his pick of jobs.

Kentucky is a career killer for any coach.

Claiborne and Brooks had some success making it to a few bowls but they took the job simply because they were at the end of their careers heading into retirement. Curci did a nice job in the 1970's but the program ended up on probation.

Any aspiring young coach is not going to give UK the time of day.

I don't think UK is a career killer for a young coach; a young coach has to know it's a stepping stone job to a bigger one. Take Stoops for example, instead of finishing 5-7 the last two seasons he finishes 7-5, there's a good chance bigger schools would come calling. An AD at another school would think...."If he can do that at UK, think what he could do for our football school." But instead Stoops could cash in on his off field success and will probably be fired in the coming years, and be back as an assistant.

Obviously, Jeff Brohm

Then, Art Briles

Next, Dan Enos (OC at Arkansas)

Fourth, Tommy Tubberville

An intriguing option would be Willie Taggart. I know he's a FL guy, and he's basically "home" at USF. But if the SEC money came calling it would be hard for him to say no.

I don't think UK is a career killer for a young coach; a young coach has to know it's a stepping stone job to a bigger one. Take Stoops for example, instead of finishing 5-7 the last two seasons he finishes 7-5, there's a good chance bigger schools would come calling. An AD at another school would think...."If he can do that at UK, think what he could do for our football school." But instead Stoops could cash in on his off field success and will probably be fired in the coming years, and be back as an assistant.

Obviously, Jeff Brohm

Then, Art Briles

Next, Dan Enos (OC at Arkansas)

Fourth, Tommy Tubberville

An intriguing option would be Willie Taggart. I know he's a FL guy, and he's basically "home" at USF. But if the SEC money came calling it would be hard for him to say no.

Intriguing.

I browsed through this thread and someone may have mentioned this already, but I say break the bank and lure Tom Herman away from Houston. He just signed a big deal but in these days, that doesn't matter. You need a young, emerging offensive-minded coach. You have to take a chance and go all in for the next hire, whoever it is.

Because he's the next Ohio State coach after Urban Meyer retires!

A. It needs to be someone with head coaching experience. We went the other way with the last 2 hires and see how that has worked out.

B. It needs to be someone who is aggressive offensively. Pigeonholing a scheme isn't important but it needs to be someone who is working to create explosive plays and points instead of worrying about negatives and taking no risk.

C. It needs to be someone who does believe in the "why not us?" aspect of recruiting that Stoops brought here. Joker and others before settled for certain recruits and were afraid to approach some kids. (the one thing I like about Stoops)

After reading through this thread, allow me to share a few thoughts. First, the Kentucky job is not a bad job or a grave yard for coaches. You can get kids to come here and play, quite apparent with the recruiting Stoops has done. Some guys (my opinion) are coordinators, not coaches, e.g. Stoops, Kiffin, and I think Smart is going to end up in this category.

If I was the AD at UK, who would I go after? Remember any coach worth his salt thinks they can take any program and turn it around. They have ego's twice the size of Texas.

That being said, I would go after Rich Rod at Arizona. Spread guy, who will run/pass the ball with a great offensive mind for the game. Rich Rod would love to be in the SEC, and possibly regrets he didn't take the Alabama job before Saban went there. Remember he had WVU on the brink of playing for the NC a few years ago, and has down well in the desert at AZ. He would like to get back East, and I'm really hoping WVU falter's more down the stretch and fires Holgersen and goes back after Rich Rod, but I think UK would have a real shot at getting him.

That's my $.02