Who do you want as Kentucky's next coach?

newarkcatholicfan

I think he has proven he can recruit and coach as I think most will agree that WKU is the second best team in the state right now. I also think he and Lamar Thomas have a connection so there is a possible holdover for his staff already. He can bring Brian with him as a cheap but capable assistant. QB coach at the least.

I like trying to build this dream with Brohm as the head coach of UK. :lol2:

And you don't think if Brohm was UK HC he'd be rubbing elbows with Pitino at the first opportunity?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We don't need a big name coach at UK. We need a coach who can win. Plus no big name coach worth his salt would even entertain coming to UK. Get Jeff Brohm, let the team and program ascend for a few years and then watch Brohm end up at Florida or Georgia next.

This is pretty much what UC did. Hire an up and coming coach. Let them do a great job and eventually they take a much better job. UK at best right now, is a stepping stone job. No way it is a destination job and you will not get any big name to come here.

I'm a UofL fan, I'm not trying to hide that. I also hope that Jeff Brohm is eventually our HC.

That said why would he leave Western for UK? I know going from CUSA to SEC is a step-up but given UK's history why would he possibly damage his brand by taking that job? If he goes to UK and fails does he get another HC job?

Maybe he's the guy that can turn that program around but why would you chance it?

This is pretty much what UC did. Hire an up and coming coach. Let them do a great job and eventually they take a much better job. UK at best right now, is a stepping stone job. No way it is a destination job and you will not get any big name to come here.

Unfortunately, it's been, except for Bear Bryant, a destination job to oblivion for the last 60 years.

I'm a UofL fan, I'm not trying to hide that. I also hope that Jeff Brohm is eventually our HC.

That said why would he leave Western for UK? I know going from CUSA to SEC is a step-up but given UK's history why would he possibly damage his brand by taking that job? If he goes to UK and fails does he get another HC job?

Maybe he's the guy that can turn that program around but why would you chance it?

Guys like him will be the best that UK can do IMO. No way someone like Miles or Herman comes to UK. I think Brohm is more realistic but even I am not sure how realistic that is. I think he should be at the top of UK's list if they decide to fire Stoops but that doesn't mean he would choose to leave WKU. UK could pay him a whole lot more and if he does good at UK he'd be the hottest commodity on the circuit in quite some time. If he fails then at least he'll be rich like Stoops.

What I meant was maybe he'd bolt for UofL HC if given the opportunity. :idunno:

I don't see Petrino leaving anytime soon. Louisville is another year or two away from becoming a legitimate year in and year out national power. They seem to be on the same curve as Clemson has been. Not saying they'll be in the playoffs in a year or two but they are strong and should continue to be strong under Petrino's tutelage. If he is smart he will stay at UL for a long long time.

Stumbled upon this KSR interview with the old man - Schnellenberger.

He made some strong, interesting points in 2012. They seem to still apply today.

Interview:

Kentucky Sports Report - Long conversation with Schnellenberger today, long read but lot of good quotes

Excerpt of interest:

“Miami was going to drop to Division I-AA before I got there and it was about the same way at Louisville,” Schnellenberger said. “Both were on their last gasp. They both called a timeout and tried to analyze what to do and who to bring in. In both cases, they brought in somebody that was bigger than the job.

“That’s one part of the equation at Kentucky. Bring in someone with a proven track record and has a reason for wanting the job. If you give me 20 minutes with a coaching candidate, I can convince him why Kentucky is a good job.”

What? Kentucky, a lower level SEC team, a good job for a big-name team?

“Kentucky has every natural resource you need to be good,” Schnellenberger said. “There should be no inferiority complex at Kentucky. If the university will focus its resources financially, spiritually and psychologically for the development of a great football program with the right guy in charge that brings a lot of confidence with him and a lot of public awareness to the university, then they have a chance to succeed.

The worst thing that can happen to a program is going 4-8, 6-6, 5-7, maybe 7-5. Just good enough to ever once in a while have a winning season. Those are the ones that limp along and there’s no way they will take the next leap up.”

Emphasis added, but not cut and pasted - that is one single set of statements. Seemed relevant in 2012 and still seems so.