Pokemon Go App

HammerTime

Heard a couple horror stories on the radio today. Supposedly 'kids' in STL are 'luring' people to their area where they greet the Pokemon player with a couple guys with guns & rob them at gun point.

Hate to rain on the parade, but it's important to be aware (and to teach your kids the same).

Heard this too. Also heard that some goofballs have gotten into accidents while driving and doing this. It's a good idea to tell your kids to stay in groups and be aware.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heard a couple horror stories on the radio today. Supposedly 'kids' in STL are 'luring' people to their area where they greet the Pokemon player with a couple guys with guns & rob them at gun point.

Hate to rain on the parade, but it's important to be aware (and to teach your kids the same).

Suspects charged with using 'Pokemon Go' to commit armed robberi - Cincinnati News, FOX19-WXIX TV

ST. CHARLES COUNTY (KMOV.com) -

Four teens allegedly used the newly-released "Pokemon Go" app to commit multiple robberies in St. Louis and St. Charles counties.

Brett Miller, 17, of St. Peters, Jamine Warner, 18, of O'Fallon,Mo., and Shane Backer, 18, of Wentzville are charged with first-degree robbery and armed criminal action. A 16-year-old suspect has also been charged

The suspects were located by O'Fallon Police after responding to an armed robbery call around 2 a.m. Sunday near Highway K and Feise Road in St. Charles County. The suspects were sitting inside a vehicle and a handgun was recovered from them, police said.

Police believe the suspects conducted multiple armed robberies by targeting their victims through the mobile game "Pokemon Go." They believe the suspects added a beacon near a Poke-stop in their location, which could lure more players nearby.

The mobile game is a geo-cached mobile application where players can find and catch Pokemon in their area or the surrounding areas.

Police said the suspects stole a wallet and phone.

O'Fallon Police are warning those who play the game or have children who play the game to do so with caution.

Heard this too. Also heard that some goofballs have gotten into accidents while driving and doing this. It's a good idea to tell your kids to stay in groups and be aware.

No matter what, there are always people with no common sense and those that throw caution to the wind.

No matter what, there are always people with no common sense and those that throw caution to the wind.

I was thinks no the same thing.

This sounds like a great game to get kids and families active. I don't understand the negativity behind it. I am going to download it and take it on a walk later today. I need the motivation!

Hope me that you and your kids have a blast! I used to geocache with my nieces and nephew in Colorado. So much fun!

Edited by True blue (and gold)

I am all for getting the kids active and can certainly use it myself, however it is only a matter of time before kids, and adults start getting hurt. One additional risk I have seen already multiple times that has not already been stated is the kids walking with their heads buried in their phones. I know this already happens to a degree, but I can not tell you how many kids I saw this past weekend walking in front of cars turning, or thru parking lots, etc who had no clue what was going on around them. In fact I had one walk almost right into the side of my car as I was stopped at a light. Kid had no clue I was there.

I was thinks no the same thing.

This sounds like a great game to get kids and families active. I don't understand the negativity behind it. I am going to download it and take it on a walk later today. I need the motivation!

Hope me that you and your kids have a blast! I used to geocache with my nieces and nephew in Colorado. So much fun!

See, now that is a cool name and you can say it without being embarrassed. It's tough to say you were pokemoning without laughing.

I know Pokemon cards were a big thing amongst kids in the late 90's, and the video games were big on Nintendo Gameboy while that system was big. So it was never really part of our generation. But I'm not sure I get why it's getting so much hate from people on BGP. It's just an app to kill some time, that you can fire up during a walk, or when you got nothing going on. I'm sure almost everyone of us has a silly thing we like to do during a few minutes of downtime. I'm not sure why this particular thing warrants a nut punch or a revocation of your man card. And we complain endlessly about video games keeping kids inside and on the couch, and here's one that gets people outside and active. I just don't see how that's a bad thing.

Because BGP is a sports site, it's okay to wear a shirt or jersey from your favorite team that you never actually played on or really had an impact on and can rattle off all the stats going back approximately 40 years but if you do something in any way, shape, or form nerdy/geeky/dweeby then lord help your losery ways.

For what it's worth I never played nor do I play this at all. I just don't see the need to belittle someone else having fun.

I think it's dumb and incredibly dorky. And I won't judge all, but I will judge @HammerTime lol.

However, in saying that, I'm sure many that are playing would judge me for the amount of time I spend reading up on my Fantasy Football team. So, to each their own.

I do think it's good that kids are getting outside more.

I just wanted to see what all the fuss was about. :lol2: I have no clue what I'm doing and will probably stop playing in like a day.