Tradition?

Would it have been better if I said they should call them the Royal Dogs and change their colors to yellow, black, and blue?

I'm going to be the bigger person and not even address that subject. But we can just call it the Kentucky Effect, when you're he best for so long you're gonna have hatters like yourself.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to be the bigger person and not even address that subject. But we can just call it the Kentucky Effect, when you're he best for so long you're gonna have hatters like yourself.

I think they are more comparable to Duke or the Yankees lol. You either love them or you hate them. No in between or switching sides.

I haven't read the entire thread yet, I will later. As many of you may know I was hard on Buddy Biggs last season at Ashland. I said all season that we needed a coaching change, while most thought I was either an idiot or being too hard on the guy, lol. When he was fired it put a smile on my face, not because I don't like the guy, but because IMO, Ashland needed a change. When Jeremy Howell was hired, that also put a smile on my face, even though some claimed it was a downgrade. Ashland needed a change and they got it, they are much improved this year, but still aren't "there" yet in terms of being back to what they were.

But now to my point. I never disliked Biggs, I think he's a great coach and knows the game well. He has his own style of play and he sticks with it, no matter what. His style will win you games if you have the players that fit that style. If you don't it will be an up and down season, or a terrible season. Last season was the worse that Ashland has ever had.

But for anyone to say that coach Biggs does not enforce discipline or demand respect for himself or his assistants is laughable and unless he has completely changed his demeanor (which I doubt) is simply not true. The man was so demanding at Ashland that it literally became a fault, pretty much his only fault. The end result was kids simply not wanting to play for him. However the kids he did have come out for the team were very respectful.

Long story short, if there is in fact a problem of players not respecting their coaches, fans, etc at Mason County, I seriously doubt it has a thing to do with Buddy Biggs. In fact, I question that that is even happening because I imagine they would be off the team if they did such a thing.

Edited by JDEaston

I guess getting a little sideways on the topic is understandable but , in my opinion, it comes down to this : parents need to teach their kids respect and rules, coaches need to have that same message . When kids see that rules either don't apply or only apply to some , then there is a definite problem with the message being sent by the coach. I have watched this deterioration for years now, I for one, am fed up with it. Let's do the right thing for the kids and the school and teach some life lessons along the way. Last time I checked in the real world there are consequences for your actions. Second chances are great for kids but teach a lesson along the way. So when high school is over and they have to go out and get a job( most if not all will never make a living from basketball ) they are at least a little prepared

Tradition? Tradition is not behaving the way, dressing the way, playing the way you did. Tradition is wearing the same colors, playing certain songs at certain times during the game, introducing the team or post game rituals, students sitting in certain spots with many of the same rituals, etc. A tradition, for instance is singing "My Old Kentucky Home" after UK game at Rupp.

Behaviors, attitudes and what is normal changes with generations and everyone knows their's was the best.

If this team has a lack of discipline or disrespect in your opinion, fine in my mind, your opinion is what it is. But these things have nothing to do with tradition.

I haven't read the entire thread yet, I will later. As many of you may know I was hard on Buddy Biggs last season at Ashland. I said all season that we needed a coaching change, while most thought I was either an idiot or being too hard on the guy, lol. When he was fired it put a smile on my face. When Jeremy Howell was hired, that also put a smile on my face, even though some claimed it was a downgrade. Ashland needed a change and they got it, they are much improved this year, but still aren't "there" yet in terms of being back to what they were.

But now to my point. I never disliked Biggs, I think he's a great coach and knows the game well. He has his own style of play and he sticks with it, no matter what. His style will win you games if you have the players that fit that style. If you don't it will be an up and down season, or a terrible season. Last season was the worse that Ashland has ever had.

But for anyone to say that coach Biggs does not enforce discipline or demand respect for himself or his assistants is laughable and unless he has completely changed his demeanor (which I doubt) is simply not true. The man was so demanding at Ashland that it literally became a fault, pretty much his only fault. The end result was kids simply not wanting to play for him. However the kids he did have come out for the team were very respectful.

Long story short, if there is in fact a problem of players not respecting their coaches, fans, etc at Mason County, I seriously doubt it has a thing to do with Buddy Biggs. In fact, I question that that is even happening because I imagine they would be off the team if they did such a thing.

It has gone on since day one of Biggs tenure, summer ball is when it started !! It has happened multiple times during the season, could be he has changed or could be that the administration at MC has tied his hands, that administration would be the ex coach who is now principal and the guy that hired him. I heard all the talk about discipline with coach Biggs but so far it has not been true at MC. Believe me I would welcome it .

It has gone on since day one of Biggs tenure, summer ball is when it started !! It has happened multiple times during the season, could be he has changed or could be that the administration at MC has tied his hands, that administration would be the ex coach who is now principal and the guy that hired him. I heard all the talk about discipline with coach Biggs but so far it has not been true at MC. Believe me I would welcome it .

Without knowing the specifics, all I can say is that is not characteristic of Buddy Biggs. You mention it has happened multiple times during the season, can you provide any examples? Again, I haven't read the entire thread yet, so maybe you did provide examples, I just have not read them yet.

I figured there would eventually be a backlash at Mason County with coach Biggs. But I didn't think it would happen this soon and I never would have thought it would be due to lack of discipline.

Without knowing the specifics, all I can say is that is not characteristic of Buddy Biggs. You mention it has happened multiple times during the season, can you provide any examples? Again, I haven't read the entire thread yet, so maybe you did provide examples, I just have not read them yet.

I figured there would eventually be a backlash at Mason County with coach Biggs. But I didn't think it would happen this soon and I never would have thought it would be due to lack of discipline.

There have been many incidents along the way, some big and some small. Last week at the Boyd Co. Game a player was asked to check back ( had played several minutes) into the game with 23 seconds to go, he refused to go back in . Told Coach Biggs " I'm not going in with 23 seconds left " Absolutely refused. Next night at Rowan that same player starts JV and plays varsity minutes ! Does that sound like a disciplinarian to you ?? Just one example, could give you many more