Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Is This the Most Iconic Catch In Super Bowl History?

Featured Replies

  • Author

Again, let me be clear on the debate. It's not "best" or "toughest" catch. It's "most iconic."

  • Replies 79
  • Views 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's generational, I'd say.

 

Anyone under the age of 40 is probably going to say Tyree.

I think Tyrees was bigger for many reasons. Difficulty, Elis play and the fact that it came against an undefeated team

  • Author
It's generational, I'd say.

 

Anyone under the age of 40 is probably going to say Tyree.

 

Agreed.

I wonder if it would change anything if Burress had made the catch instead of Tyree.

Jackie Smith? Oops. He dropped that one, didn't he. Sorry Cowboys fans.

It's generational, I'd say.

 

Anyone under the age of 40 is probably going to say Tyree.

I'm 52 and I am going with Tyree even though that catch broke my heart!

Jackie Smith? Oops. He dropped that one, didn't he. Sorry Cowboys fans.

 

Roger Staubach's reaction to the Smith drop is a classic on NFL films...total disgust..

Each time I watch the Tyree catch I'm more mesmerized at how it was executed. I keep thinking it's going to drop for an incompletion. It was practically a Hail Mary that stuck to the top of his helmet in triple coverage. Pure craziness.

I'll take another Steeler reception. The immaculate reception. While that one was more fortunate than skill, it marked the beginning of the Steeler dynasty.

I'll take another Steeler reception. The immaculate reception. While that one was more fortunate than skill, it marked the beginning of the Steeler dynasty.

 

Wasn't in the Super Bowl, though, per the thread title.

This Lynn Swann catch happened on this date in 1976.

 

 

[ATTACH]54317[/ATTACH]

 

 

 

Most iconic? Is it generational? I know many younger folks will say David Tyree.

 

For me it is, I remember SI or some other magazine had a artistic print of this catch in the magazine and I used it to make a plaque in shop class.

For me it's Swann's catch.

Same. But I will offer Ben to Santonio Holmes vs the Cards as maybe a top 3

Each time I watch the Tyree catch I'm more mesmerized at how it was executed. I keep thinking it's going to drop for an incompletion. It was practically a Hail Mary that stuck to the top of his helmet in triple coverage. Pure craziness.

 

All after Eli was nearly dragged to the ground by a couple Patriots defenders. If he gets sacked there the game is probably over.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.