January 19, 201610 yr Author I just can't fathom how a catch that had little impact on the outcome of the game could be considered more iconic than the Tyree catch. It's the first thing you think of when thinking of that Super Bowl. How old were you in 1976? Yes, that's rhetorical.
January 19, 201610 yr What made this catch so great? It was irrelevant in the grand scheme of the game.
January 19, 201610 yr Author What made this catch so great? It was irrelevant in the grand scheme of the game. The "why" is irrelevant when talking "iconic." It's like asking "why do you think she's pretty?" For those of us who are not in our 20s or 30s it's one of only a handful of catches that even come to mind when one says "Super Bowl catches." You being in your 20s says the same thing about Tyree's catch which is why I mentioned it being generational previously.
January 19, 201610 yr So you started this thread to dismiss anyone who doesn't think this was an iconic catch? Anytime anyone has mentioned anything other than the Swann catch you've dismissed it as irrelevant or generational. I'm trying to figure out what purpose this thread serves as it clearly wasn't meant for actual discussion.
January 19, 201610 yr Author So you started this thread to dismiss anyone who doesn't think this was an iconic catch? Anytime anyone has mentioned anything other than the Swann catch you've dismissed it as irrelevant or generational. I'm trying to figure out what purpose this thread serves as it clearly wasn't meant for actual discussion. Incorrect. I have dismissed those of you who have kept insisting that it has to be "Player A" because it was "better" or "more important." Your argument that "it's the first catch you think of" is EXACTLY what "iconic" is. I didn't dismiss that at all. Unfortunately, I've had to spend too much time explaining the definition of a word.
January 19, 201610 yr I'd say the Tyree catch is the most iconic catch in Super Bowl history, but I fall in to that "under 50" crowd.
January 19, 201610 yr So you started this thread to dismiss anyone who doesn't think this was an iconic catch? Seems to be this
January 19, 201610 yr The Swann catch is just another good catch. There are plenty of good catches in the super bowls history. None have been as big or "iconic" as Tyrees helmet catch.
January 20, 201610 yr Incorrect. I have dismissed those of you who have kept insisting that it has to be "Player A" because it was "better" or "more important." Your argument that "it's the first catch you think of" is EXACTLY what "iconic" is. I didn't dismiss that at all. Unfortunately, I've had to spend too much time explaining the definition of a word. You can't dismiss the situation in which the catch was made when that's why most view it as such an iconic catch. If that same catch happened on the first series of the game, most wouldn't really recall it. Same can be said about Butler's INT last year. Those plays were iconic in large part because of when they happened. That's why they're the first play you think of when thinking of SB catches and interceptions.
January 20, 201610 yr I don't know about best catch in the Super Bowl but this is the worst drop in Super Bowl history http://m.nydailynews.com/sports/football/super-bowl-xiii-sickest-man-america-article-1.1561166
January 20, 201610 yr Here is what happened on Swann's catch. Late 2nd quarter. Steelers are backed up and trail 10-7. Bradshaw let's the pass fly and Swann tips it up and in essence, to himself as he falls down. It starts a Steeler drive that ends with a missed Field Goal at the end of the half. However the tide has turned and Pittsburgh goes on to take control in the second half, build a 21-10 lead and hang on at the very end. An argument can be made for either catch. I don't have complaint as to Tyree over Swann or vice versa. But to say Swann's catch didn't matter is just untrue. In observing the debate a definite pattern is obvious. Most who are older side with Swann, most who weren't "of age" then side with Tyree. Makes logical sense. Many who hate the Steelers or love the Giants seem to readily go with Tyree. Many who love the Steelers or are old enough to appreciate the Noll dynasty defend Swann. Logical.
January 20, 201610 yr The Swann catch is just another good catch. There are plenty of good catches in the super bowls history. None have been as big or "iconic" as Tyrees helmet catch. You can't dismiss the situation in which the catch was made when that's why most view it as such an iconic catch. If that same catch happened on the first series of the game, most wouldn't really recall it. Same can be said about Butler's INT last year. Those plays were iconic in large part because of when they happened. That's why they're the first play you think of when thinking of SB catches and interceptions. I think you guys are not understanding what he means by iconic. It has nothing to do with whether it was as important or difficult as Tyree's catch. It clearly wasn't. However, Swann's catch has been shown over and over for 40 years as a symbol of that Super Bowl, Swann's career and even the Steelers dynasty. It is impossible to watch any kind of a feature on those Steelers teams without seeing it. Given that the Steelers run during that era is considered one of the most dominant of all time there are a lot of features on it. If I'm not mistaken one of SI's more famous covers featured it was well. Given some time Tyree's catch may reach that level of cultural significance but I just don't think it is there yet. The reverence for those Steelers teams and Swann's status as a hall of fame receiver trump the Giants Tyree's status in NFL lore and make it more iconic to people old enough to remember both. In fact, I bet there are a lot of people that think they remember watching the Swann catch live that probably have just seen it so many times that they think they saw it live. Not a knock on Tyree just a statement on what is iconic.
January 20, 201610 yr No doubt. Why is 40 the benchmark? It needs to be 55 or 60. Those are the folks living in the past. Not us.
January 20, 201610 yr The Swann catch is just another good catch. There are plenty of good catches in the super bowls history. None have been as big or "iconic" as Tyrees helmet catch. You can't dismiss the situation in which the catch was made when that's why most view it as such an iconic catch. If that same catch happened on the first series of the game, most wouldn't really recall it. Same can be said about Butler's INT last year. Those plays were iconic in large part because of when they happened. That's why they're the first play you think of when thinking of SB catches and interceptions. I think you guys are not understanding what he means by iconic. It has nothing to do with whether it was as important or difficult as Tyree's catch. It clearly wasn't. However, Swann's catch has been shown over and over for 40 years as a symbol of that Super Bowl, Swann's career and even the Steelers dynasty. It is impossible to watch any kind of a feature on those Steelers teams without seeing it. Given that the Steelers run during that era is considered one of the most dominant of all time there are a lot of features on it. If I'm not mistaken one of SI's more famous covers featured it was well. Given some time Tyree's catch may reach that level of cultural significance but I just don't think it is there yet. The reverence for those Steelers teams and Swann's status as a hall of fame receiver trump the Giants Tyree's status in NFL lore and make it more iconic to people old enough to remember both. In fact, I bet there are a lot of people that think they remember watching the Swann catch live that probably have just seen it so many times that they think they saw it live. Not a knock on Tyree just a statement on what is iconic.
January 20, 201610 yr I think you guys are not understanding what he means by iconic. It has nothing to do with whether it was as important or difficult as Tyree's catch. It clearly wasn't. However, Swann's catch has been shown over and over for 40 years as a symbol of that Super Bowl, Swann's career and even the Steelers dynasty. It is impossible to watch any kind of a feature on those Steelers teams without seeing it. Given that the Steelers run during that era is considered one of the most dominant of all time there are a lot of features on it. If I'm not mistaken one of SI's more famous covers featured it was well. Given some time Tyree's catch may reach that level of cultural significance but I just don't think it is there yet. The reverence for those Steelers teams and Swann's status as a hall of fame receiver trump the Giants Tyree's status in NFL lore and make it more iconic to people old enough to remember both. In fact, I bet there are a lot of people that think they remember watching the Swann catch live that probably have just seen it so many times that they think they saw it live. Not a knock on Tyree just a statement on what is iconic. I understand what it means. I just don't agree. I've seen that catch maybe twice ever, and I watch a ton of NFL related programming. I've seen Tyree's catch hundreds of times, if not more.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.