Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Is This the Most Iconic Catch In Super Bowl History?

Featured Replies

Same. But I will offer Ben to Santonio Holmes vs the Cards as maybe a top 3

 

I'd argue that one is better than the Swann catch

  • Replies 79
  • Views 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
All after Eli was nearly dragged to the ground by a couple Patriots defenders. If he gets sacked there the game is probably over.

Probably so. Was the Asante Samuel drop on that same drive? Maybe a few plays before?

Same. But I will offer Ben to Santonio Holmes vs the Cards as maybe a top 3

 

Man, that was a good one.

Jackie Smith? Oops. He dropped that one, didn't he. Sorry Cowboys fans.

 

I cried like a baby being a Cowboy fan.

 

Jackie Smith = Bill Buckner

 

BTW, I dropped about 20 "f" bombs on the Buckner play while watching with my mom & dad. They didn't say a word , as they know I was a big Redsox fan.

Probably so. Was the Asante Samuel drop on that same drive? Maybe a few plays before?

 

Yes. A receiver ran the wrong route on that play...

 

Believe it was Tyree. He made up for it.

 

The Giants actually ran the same play on that drive two or three times

 

This is a video of the Giants former center Shaun Ohara and offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride discussing that drive.

http://m.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Shaun-OHara-and-Kevin-Gilbride-dissect-the-Helmet-Catch/1a00bfc2-22f3-4e67-a4b4-0eb940419f69

 

Correction, it was Steve Smith that ran the wrong route.

Same. But I will offer Ben to Santonio Holmes vs the Cards as maybe a top 3

 

I still don't think that was even a catch lol. IMO his right foot was actually behind his left foot and never touched the ground. However with the color cleats he was wearing made it impossible to tell if that foot ever touched IMO. However it was ruled a catch, so I would agree it would be up near the top!

It's generational, I'd say.

 

Anyone under the age of 40 is probably going to say Tyree.

 

I'm 52 and I am going with Tyree even though that catch broke my heart!

 

 

No doubt. Why is 40 the benchmark? It needs to be 55 or 60. Those are the folks living in the past. Not us.

Definately generational. i bet most young people do not know who Lynn Swann is.

 

For me, the iconic catch of the era was the Immaculate Reception. But it was not a Super Bowl play.

 

This guy has Swann #5 and Tyree #1 in Greatest Superbowl plays:

 

Has to be Tyree.

 

It doesn't have to be.

 

But I won't argue for those who pick Tyree. I can see Swann and Tyree being the case for #1.

 

Lest we forget, Swann made some great catches four times that day.

 

[video=youtube;YsJ-P7SQq14]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsJ-P7SQq14

It isn't the most iconic, but strangely, the catch I remember most vividly was the pass to Kenny King of the Raiders vs the Eagles. I remember the Swann catch, but I hated the Steelers even then, so pfft. I had no dog in the Raiders / Eagles game, but that catch to Kenny King, to this day, is crystal clear in my mind. (As an aside, the 4th and 1 run by Riggins for a 50 yard-ish TD is similarly stocked away in my memory).

 

Kenny King's 80-yard TD in SBXV - NFL Videos

I have an autographed Lynn Swann helmet. My fave player of all time. So pfft, of course it's the most iconic.

  • Author
I have an autographed Lynn Swann helmet. My fave player of all time. So pfft, of course it's the most iconic.

 

He lived close to my wife's family in Pittsburgh. I think Andy Russell did as well.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.