Is This the Most Iconic Catch In Super Bowl History?

Clyde

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jackie Smith? Oops. He dropped that one, didn't he. Sorry Cowboys fans.

I cried like a baby being a Cowboy fan.

Jackie Smith = Bill Buckner

BTW, I dropped about 20 "f" bombs on the Buckner play while watching with my mom & dad. They didn't say a word , as they know I was a big Redsox fan.

Probably so. Was the Asante Samuel drop on that same drive? Maybe a few plays before?

Yes. A receiver ran the wrong route on that play...

Believe it was Tyree. He made up for it.

The Giants actually ran the same play on that drive two or three times

This is a video of the Giants former center Shaun Ohara and offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride discussing that drive.

http://m.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Shaun-OHara-and-Kevin-Gilbride-dissect-the-Helmet-Catch/1a00bfc2-22f3-4e67-a4b4-0eb940419f69

Correction, it was Steve Smith that ran the wrong route.

Same. But I will offer Ben to Santonio Holmes vs the Cards as maybe a top 3

I still don't think that was even a catch lol. IMO his right foot was actually behind his left foot and never touched the ground. However with the color cleats he was wearing made it impossible to tell if that foot ever touched IMO. However it was ruled a catch, so I would agree it would be up near the top!

It's generational, I'd say.

Anyone under the age of 40 is probably going to say Tyree.

I'm 52 and I am going with Tyree even though that catch broke my heart!

No doubt. Why is 40 the benchmark? It needs to be 55 or 60. Those are the folks living in the past. Not us.

It isn't the most iconic, but strangely, the catch I remember most vividly was the pass to Kenny King of the Raiders vs the Eagles. I remember the Swann catch, but I hated the Steelers even then, so pfft. I had no dog in the Raiders / Eagles game, but that catch to Kenny King, to this day, is crystal clear in my mind. (As an aside, the 4th and 1 run by Riggins for a 50 yard-ish TD is similarly stocked away in my memory).

Kenny King's 80-yard TD in SBXV - NFL Videos