Mike Leake

I will readily admit upfront, I am a Mike Leake fan. I think the guy is an actual pitcher, not just a thrower, the way some other guys are. Does he get lit up every now and then? Yes. When he's bad, he can be very bad. But, I think the positives well outweigh any of the negatives.

Given the chance to choose between Leake and Homer, I'd take Leake everyday. So, I really wish the Reds wouldn't have extended themselves with Homer the way they did, because I think they've just priced themselves out of any chance of resigning Leake.

So, what does Leake end up going for on the market this off season?

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First things first. What can the Reds get for him before Friday?

I would much rather have him going forward rather than Bailey as well.

Going to depend on where he goes. Is Leake a #1 guy who you give the ball to in the first game of the playoffs? Probably not. So the chances of him getting what Cueto brought is very slim. However, if someone is looking for a guy to eat some innings down the stretch to rest the bullpen, or a solid #3 to bridge the gap to get back to your ace in the playoffs...then he's still very worthwhile. I'll be disappointed if they give him up for a single A prospect and a bag of balls.

He's come a long way since his TShirt stealing days.

You could get a couple top 10 prospect for him if think. No top 5 guys, but some guys that might blossom into quality big leaguers

Said it when the Bailey deal was going down and hold fast to it today. Giving Homer 6/105 was a horrible deal, and the smart move was giving Leake a 50-60 million deal for 5 years that would have locked up an inning eating quality arm that knows how to pitch. Quit dreaming for a guy that MIGHT be a quality #2 over a half decade #3 that gives you quality innings 9 times out of 10...

I will readily admit upfront, I am a Mike Leake fan. I think the guy is an actual pitcher, not just a thrower, ... I think the positives well outweigh any of the negatives.

:thumb: I basically agree with all you said but especially this.

I've been a Leake fan since his rookie year. the guy knows how to pitch. I've said that even when the bad is bad, as it has been at times during his Reds stint.

What can the Reds get for him, I'd like to think a decent return. Not sure though. May trade one proven major leaguer for a "potential" good to decent major leaguer.

Bailey deal was a bad deal, and I said that from the word go. The injury is a crutch some fans and Reds exec's may use for years to come. Bottom line is he wasn't that good prior to the injury.

I wonder if when the Reds signed Bailey, they could have instead given Leake a five-year deal and added three more years to Cueto's deal for the same money? May have been possible at the time.

If you can trade Phillips, does that free up $ to keep Leake? Assuming you could bundle Brandon with Chapman or Bruce.

That all depends on the open market. All it takes is one team to overpay for him. The odds of trading Phillips AND resigning Leake are minute. The odds of either happening are slim.