Mike Leake

I am very happy with what they got in return for Leake. Much better than what they were getting when he walked at the end of the season.

You do realize that we got their #1 pitching prospect, right?

He's passed highly touted guys like Kyle Crick and Tyler Beede on the organizational ladder and nationally. He is one of the fastest rising pitchers out there along with Cody Reed who we acquired for Cueto. Never imagined we get a teams organizational #1 for Leake along with a useful bench piece or possibly more in Duvall.

Hopefully the Reds keep the trend and pull some magic today with Chapman, Bruce and maybe even Byrd. The Brewers got quite a haul for Gomez I'd like to think the Reds could use that in talks for Bruce. I don't think Gomez is a whole lot better than Bruce and he's injury prone, he plays CF but other than that.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well everyone in here should be ecstatic!! All I've heard all season is how the Reds needed to trade Cueto and others like Leake and Chapman etc. Well they got rid of their two best pitchers and got.....well nothing in return for both. Oh I'm sorry, they got "prospects" Yea prospects ALWAYS pan out. so we got rid of our 2 best starting pitchers, now maybe 2we can trade Chapman real quick so we can have no starting pitching and no bullpen. That would be great!!! World Series 2016 here we come!

The point you might be missing is that NONE of these trades were done so that the Reds could compete in 2016.

Nobody wants to trade Cueto, Chapman and Leake, but it's the nature of the beast. The Reds had no shot to re-sign Cueto and very little chance of re-signing Leake. You can either let them walk at the end of the year, or trade them and get some highly regarded prospects...and that's exactly what the Reds did.

The Giants #1 overall prospect Keury Mella who is a 21 year old RHP (now #5 in the Reds system), and Adam Duvall (26 year old corner IF/OF who has a lot of pop).

Thanks, Question, why so much trading for pitching? On one had I get it, you can never have to much, and can always trade these pieces next year or after. Just seems like a lot of pitching to get back when bats are a big issue.

Thanks, Question, why so much trading for pitching? On one had I get it, you can never have to much, and can always trade these pieces next year or after. Just seems like a lot of pitching to get back when bats are a big issue.

The Reds farm system has a dearth of pitching that are near to being ready for MLB.

It's the ol' "You can never have too many pitching prospects" mentality now. They can also be trade bait.

They have a ton of good young pitching now. That's huge. It gives them plenty of options in case some of them don't pan out at the ML level, and it allows them to be flexible and able to move them for bats down the road without sacrificing much in terms of their rotation.

I'd prefer they get a couple young bats, but so far the hauls Walt has brought back for Leake and Cueto have been better than I ever expected.

There is a reason the Reds haven't won anything in 25 years. You can get all excited over prospects, but you fail to realize that THEY ARE JUST PROSPECTS, if they are so great, why weren't they pitching for their big clubs?

It is what it is.....

You do realize that the 2 teams you are questioning were in the WS last year? Just where do you think these prospects fit into their post season rosters last year? Oh and do you realize that Finnegan was a part of KC's post season roster?

The Reds farm system has a dearth of pitching that are near to being ready for MLB.

It's the ol' "You can never have too many pitching prospects" mentality now. They can also be trade bait.

They have a ton of good young pitching now. That's huge. It gives them plenty of options in case some of them don't pan out at the ML level, and it allows them to be flexible and able to move them for bats down the road without sacrificing much in terms of their rotation.

I'd prefer they get a couple young bats, but so far the hauls Walt has brought back for Leake and Cueto have been better than I ever expected.

Dont disagree with both of you, getting 3 lefties for Cueto was huge IMO. Just would have liked to see one bigger bat come from all this. Still can in the offseason I guess.

Dont disagree with both of you, getting 3 lefties for Cueto was huge IMO. Just would have liked to see one bigger bat come from all this. Still can in the offseason I guess.

I get that but unless you think the Reds are competing next year I'll always go pitching.

MLB has morphed into a game that is completely dominated by pitching. So much so that some are pondering rule changes to get more offense. Pitching is currency.

There is a reason the Reds haven't won anything in 25 years. You can get all excited over prospects, but you fail to realize that THEY ARE JUST PROSPECTS, if they are so great, why weren't they pitching for their big clubs?

It is what it is.....

Who do you want to be there #1 pitcher for the 2016 year? Because it wasn't going to be Cueto.

Leake should prosper in AT&T. Big ballpark is much better for his skillset of throwing strikes and giving up the occasional long ball.

What are prohibitions, if any, against Reds making a run at signing Leake as a FA for 2016? If none, you basically got the SF Giants' #1 pitching prospect and a Louisville (HS & UofL) kid w/ some pop for 11 starts in a season where you aren't going anywhere anyway.