Mike Leake

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know a couple of years ago I looked at Leake and just wondered if we could be looking at the next Greg Maddux after he got a few years under his belt. Wishful thinking I know given all that Maddux accomplished in his long career but there was something that reminded me of Maddux. His last month has been pretty good and he may be finally learning how to really pitch, moving the ball around and changing speeds and keeping his pitch counts low. Eerily similar to Mr. Maddux style if only he could get the couple extra inches on each side of the plate that Maddux used to demand. I know everyone will make jabs at this comparison and everything but that's expected so have at it. My thoughts are merely this. What if Mike turns out to be half as productive as Greg Maddux was? Could the Reds be starting to have second thoughts on Leake? How hard have they tried to sign him long term? Could they sign him especially now that they parted ways with Cueto? Are you more reluctant to consider trading him now given his recent performances?

You know a couple of years ago I looked at Leake and just wondered if we could be looking at the next Greg Maddux after he got a few years under his belt. Wishful thinking I know given all that Maddux accomplished in his long career but there was something that reminded me of Maddux. His last month has been pretty good and he may be finally learning how to really pitch, moving the ball around and changing speeds and keeping his pitch counts low. Eerily similar to Mr. Maddux style if only he could get the couple extra inches on each side of the plate that Maddux used to demand. I know everyone will make jabs at this comparison and everything but that's expected so have at it. My thoughts are merely this. What if Mike turns out to be half as productive as Greg Maddux was? Could the Reds be starting to have second thoughts on Leake? How hard have they tried to sign him long term? Could they sign him especially now that they parted ways with Cueto? Are you more reluctant to consider trading him now given his recent performances?

I can agree with what you are saying. I think they should resign him if they cant get what they want for him in a trade.

Has always been more of an evolved version of the guy that mentored him to me. He doesn't switch arm angles and release points like Arroyo, but I can see the influence in how he approaches a line up...

I can agree with what you are saying. I think they should resign him if they cant get what they want for him in a trade.

As it stands they have 7 guys in line to make about 90 million next year and want to keep the roster in the 100-110 million range. Leake isn't coming back unless something drastic happens. And something drastic isn't happening...

As it stands they have 7 guys in line to make about 90 million next year and want to keep the roster in the 100-110 million range. Leake isn't coming back unless something drastic happens. And something drastic isn't happening...

Bobblehead night every night and the new TV deal will enable them to sign Leake,Chapman and Frazier to max deals

Has always been more of an evolved version of the guy that mentored him to me. He doesn't switch arm angles and release points like Arroyo, but I can see the influence in how he approaches a line up...

You are right about the Arroyo influence. That's exactly the cerebral part of pitching that Maddux had and helped make him the artist he was.

You are right about the Arroyo influence. That's exactly the cerebral part of pitching that Maddux had and helped make him the artist he was.

Maddux was the best ever at it. Arroyo has been a master as well...

Just for comparison purposes...

Pitcher 1 (age 27): 13-10 3.43 era 209 innings 1.175 WHIP 3.05 K/BB

Pitcher 2 (age 29): 12-10 4.19 era 204 innings 1.311 WHIP 2.56 K/BB

Pitcher 3 (age 27): 13-10 3.87 era 211 innings 1.275 WHIP 2.70 K/BB

Pitcher 4 (age 29): 15-10 3.21 era 214 innings 1.165 WHIP 2.84 K/BB

Who's the "least attractive" of the bunch?

Just for comparison purposes...

Pitcher 1 (age 27): 13-10 3.43 era 209 innings 1.175 WHIP 3.05 K/BB

Pitcher 2 (age 29): 12-10 4.19 era 204 innings 1.311 WHIP 2.56 K/BB

Pitcher 3 (age 27): 13-10 3.87 era 211 innings 1.275 WHIP 2.70 K/BB

Pitcher 4 (age 29): 15-10 3.21 era 214 innings 1.165 WHIP 2.84 K/BB

Who's the "least attractive" of the bunch?

Are these averages at that age? I'd say pitcher 2.

Tell ya what, I thought the exact same thing about Leake via Maddox from day one. He won't have Maddox's career, but very similar pitchers. IMO a fair comparison

A lot of Reds fans and so called experts were upset when the Reds traded the other guy (Wood maybe) instead of Leake. Many thought the Wood guy had better potential. Neither were proven MLB pitchers, but to me Leake was by far the better prospect. Of course Wood did throw harder, so that enticed some folks.

Bailey threw hard as well. I'll take Leake

Are these averages at that age? I'd say pitcher 2.

Yeah, these are the 162 game averages as of right now.

Pitcher 1 is Latos

Pitcher 2 is Bailey

Pitcher 3 is Leake

Pitcher 4 is Cueto

It surprised me that Leake had a higher strikeout to walk ratio than Bailey. Granted, it's not by much (0.14), but Leake is also just as close to Cueto by the same margin, which is also suprising.