Mike Leake

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cueto

Spend the money period. You want to see GABP look like a Marlins game? Just watch the stands once school starts

My comment was not really about Cueto but more to the FACT that this team can't win by getting rid of its best pitchers period.

We we got rent a players in return, guess what? If any of them pan out to be stud pitchers they won't be here past their current contracts once they sign with the Reds. Guess what that means? We will be in the exact same situation that we are in now. Why? Because the Reds won't be able to afford to keep them!!!!!!!! It's a waste of time to hope a miracle happens and all of a sudden the prospects become All Star caliber players in the next 2 years to only get back to where you are right now.

That at is my point. Anyone want to guess why the Reds haven't won anything in 25 years? It's because "they can't afford to re-sign their best players"

I've read this post twice & am so confused.

Johnny Cueto is a free agent after this season. He had approximately ten starts left with the Cincinnati Reds before hitting free agency. When Cueto becomes a FA, the Reds have NO shot at re-signing him. Cueto might get $200 million on the open market. The Reds simply cannot pay that, so they had two realistic options: trade him, or make him a qualifying offer & get a compensatory draft pick when he signs somewhere else this offseason.

Most people agreed that the Reds would be better served trading Cueto & getting more than one prospect in a compensatory draft. They found a trade partner in the Royals, who are making an aggressive push towards the World Series and were willing to give up several young, talented arms. Those young pitchers are far from a sure thing -- chances are none of them will ever be as good as Cueto -- but they are all highly regarded. Perhaps most importantly, they will ALL be under team control until 2021.

At this point, the Reds had no other realistic options with Cueto. Prior to the season, Cueto stated that he would not negotiate during the season. So, the Reds traded away a player that they were going to lose this offseason one way or another. In exchange, they got three young, talented left handed pitchers that will be in the organization for 5+ years. It's that simple.

The same logic applies to Mike Leake, although the Reds' chances of re-signing Leake were much better (although still slim) than Cueto.

I've read this post twice & am so confused.

Johnny Cueto is a free agent after this season. He had approximately ten starts left with the Cincinnati Reds before hitting free agency. When Cueto becomes a FA, the Reds have NO shot at re-signing him. Cueto might get $200 million on the open market. The Reds simply cannot pay that, so they had two realistic options: trade him, or make him a qualifying offer & get a compensatory draft pick when he signs somewhere else this offseason.

Most people agreed that the Reds would be better served trading Cueto & getting more than one prospect in a compensatory draft. They found a trade partner in the Royals, who are making an aggressive push towards the World Series and were willing to give up several young, talented arms. Those young pitchers are far from a sure thing -- chances are none of them will ever be as good as Cueto -- but they are all highly regarded. Perhaps most importantly, they will ALL be under team control until 2021.

At this point, the Reds had no other realistic options with Cueto. Prior to the season, Cueto stated that he would not negotiate during the season. So, the Reds traded away a player that they were going to lose this offseason one way or another. In exchange, they got three young, talented left handed pitchers that will be in the organization for 5+ years. It's that simple.

The same logic applies to Mike Leake, although the Reds' chances of re-signing Leake were much better (although still slim) than Cueto.

The Reds screwed up long before Cueto would have gone to FA. They screwed up by signing Bailey 2 years ago to the contract that would prevent them from signing better pitchers they had in the future. It's now a domino effect.

It's funny how people are ao

excited about the "Prospects"

the Reds got for Cueto and Leake. I will admit, I don't know much about them, as does anyone else on here I might add. But listening to the radio this morning on 700WLW the word is mixed on the top guys we got. According to Ken Broo who has talked to a lot of scouts, the top guy we got for Cueto will end up being most probably a middle reliever. The top guy we got from the Giants that everyone is drooling over May at best be a #3-4 starter or may also end up being a reliever. Not to mention he was hurt last year with rotator cuff issues.

Again people, more times than not top prospects don't pan out to the hype surrounding them. So we

got rid of our two best pitchers for what could possibly end up being a couple of bull pen guys. 2016 Wod Series here we come!

the Reds got for Cueto and Leake. I will admit, I don't know much about them, as does anyone else on here I might add. But listening to the radio this morning on 700WLW the word is mixed on the top guys we got. According to Ken Broo who has talked to a lot of scouts, the top guy we got for Cueto will end up being most probably a middle reliever. The top guy we got from the Giants that everyone is drooling over May at best be a #3-4 starter or may also end up being a reliever. Not to mention he was hurt last year with rotator cuff issues.

Again people, more times than not top prospects don't pan out to the hype surrounding them. So we

got rid of our two best pitchers for what could possibly end up being a couple of bull pen guys. 2016 Wod Series here we come!

You just won't let it die will you? You just don't understand the economics of baseball I guess.

At one point in time Votto, Frazier, Bruce, Phillips, Hamilton and Mesoraco were top prospects. For the most part the majority of baseballs super stars were top "prospects" at one point in time. The Reds are a small market team that has cycles of success. These cycles only happen when you get a collection of young talented prospects that come up and find success. Once these prospects earn their pay raises its usually time to part with them and keep a select few if you can. Trading these guys once they are set to enter free agency is one way to acquire prospects and start over again, the hope is that in two or so years you will enter another cycle that gives you a chance to compete again.

The Pirates have done it, the Royals have done it, the Astros have done it. With the collection of talent the Reds are building they will hopefully enter another window in a couple seasons. They certainly are stocked with prospects and trade chips and as a small market team that's exciting. It's time for a change and I'm personally more likely to attend games the rest of the season with the moves the Reds made. It might sound stupid but I couldn't have gotten behind a team that would've taken the comps picks and set the franchise back. I'm excited to see the future. I was personally burned out on watching the same old product.

I understand the economics of baseball. If you can't afford to compete then you shouldn't own a Major League Baseball team.

If you want to afford to compete then be prepared to spend $50 per ticket on bleachers and $100 on upper leavel seats.

Every single owner in sports has to make money, it's a business first. Castillini or any other club isn't going to lose money just to have a chance to win.

I understand the economics of baseball. If you can't afford to compete then you shouldn't own a Major League Baseball team.

Banana Bob is spending more than any owners before him. If you want to go back to the days of Carl Lindner and Marge pinching pennies then pick a new team to root for.

And that was a problem the Reds have addressed a bit in this trade window. Trying to get the payroll down a bit and get younger cheaper and potentially really good players. The over spending caught up to them the past 2 years. That's why this had to happen.

Not that hard to understand[/quote

Reds had basically about a three year window. I get it. My point is your window analogy just doesn't seem to apply to the Cards. So, how do the Cards spend less money than the Reds, but continue to own them ?

You just won't let it die will you? You just don't understand the economics of baseball I guess.

I'm so impressed that we have so many baseball economics experts on this board. With all of expertise , my question shouldn't be hard to answer. Reds have highest payroll in division a the last couple years. St. Louis owns the Reds. Why is this?